Character Recites Film Title in Dialogue

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by S. P. Honeybunch, Sep 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

Does a character reciting the film title in dialogue affect your enjoyment of the film? Does a character reciting the film title have any bearing on the tendency of the film to be good or bad?

My friends have had conversations about this phenomena. Too early in the film for a character to mention the film title, and it's supposedly a bad omen for the film. It's an indication that the film will not be enjoyable or at least be a bad movie. Do you find this to be true in your film watching experience?

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Can you provide an example or two of this?

3. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

4. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

I can't remember any examples from the decades old conversation. I think the idea is that a movie that is too quick to introduce the title is removing somewhat of a suspenseful element. Not sure if my friends are idiots for thinking this or if there is anything to it. Maybe halfway through the movie would be an appropriate time for a character to speak the title. Fletch introduces Fletch's name early in the film, a film that I like. Thus, I wouldn't say that the theory is 100%.

5. Wildest cat from montana

What about ' Mister Roberts' then?
    His name must be mentioned 100 times in that movie.

6. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Curiously, it seems many of my favorite films do not say the (precise) title within the film. At least among those films that are first coming to mind.

However, there are some films where characters say the film title in a way that seems to truly enhance the drama or warning behind the film. John Carpenter's The Fog for instance.

Come to think of it, The Exorcist also uses a form of the title in two critical scenes that deeply add to the horrifying situation befalling Chris. The first when the baffled doctor tells her "Have you ever heard of exorcism?" And later when a desperate Chris asks Father Karras "How does one go about getting an exorcism?"

The Shining is also used memorably by Halloran when explaining it to Danny. It is definitely a scene that enhances the film. Or at least it is certainly a critical scene.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

No, not at all...why would it?

8. No. I do not find this to be true in my film watching experience.

9. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Full Metal Jacket

10. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Roll credits... *ding*

11. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

"I am tired of all these %$&! snakes on this &%+$@ plane!"

They came up with the line first, then made a movie around it.

Randall DeBouvre and JediJones like this.
  13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Have we been in this movie for 2001 minutes, yet...?

No, wait - that was my first girlfriend...:hide: But, I did hear it in a theater...

14. Wildest cat from montana

Don't know if this story is true. I hope it is:

Jackson was intrigued by the title ' Snakes On A Plane' and signed on for his role.
    He then learned they were changing the title to something totally bland like : ' Flight 605' or ' Destination Trouble ' .
    He made a big stink about it and they kept the original title.

Not a bad movie either.

mmars982 likes this.
  15. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah its also in voiceover as narration so we know some back story. In the books he always introduces himself by name and not some pop culture reference. I also love this movie. Dr. Rosenrose I presume?

16. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

'Conquest of the Planet of the Apes' is a great film, and Caesar *almost says* the title in the film at the end when he states "Tonight, we have seen the birth of the Planet of the Apes".

Personally, I found that to be a bit on the corny side, but it is what it is. It doesn't enhance my liking the movie, nor does it detract from it either.

17. “Gentlemen! Welcome to Fight Club.”

18. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

Gloria Grahame in Fritz Lang’s “The Big Heat” makes me wonder if people used the phrase “the big heat” 70 years ago.

19. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown.
    didn't bother me, but it wasn't in the beginning

20. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Wasn't the phrase "gone with the wind" spoken by a narrator? Or maybe it was a title card? It's been a while, I can't remember.

At any rate, speaking the name of a film could hurt the movie, help it, or be neutral. Just depends upon if it's done awkwardly or artfully.

21. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Doesn't The Abyss start out with the famous quote about staring into the abyss on screen at the beginning? Does that count as someone reciting the title?

I think Goonies and Gremlins say it in the first act somewhere. Ghostbusters also gets to it I guess at the start of the second act when they have their TV ad.

Titanic probably says it very early.

I think Doc says it in Back to the Future in the middle somewhere.

Twins probably says it early.

I would assume Airplane has it in there.

Batman has it early, when Keaton announces it. Superman has it late, when Lois thinks of the name. Spider-Man says it at the wrestling match before he has his final costume. Iron Man, Thor, Avengers, Ant-Man must have it. I don't think Wonder Woman has said her name yet in two films.

22. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

You are correct. First one I thought of...

23. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

And of course Cochran in Star Trek: First Contact is the first time the term "Star Trek"
    was used in a Star Trek film...

24. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

25. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.