Character Recites Film Title in Dialogue

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by S. P. Honeybunch, Sep 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

my favorite part of the Brosnan James Bond movies is the part where James Bond says the title of the movie.

Maurice and JediJones like this.
  2. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

We have to distinguish between a title that has a character's name and title that is a phrase. A phrase is more of a dramatic element than a character's name.

3. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

"You can say anything to me."

4. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Maybe the idea here is that the title of the film isn't clear until someone says it?

"I'm your history teacher from now on. We will discuss current events. We will call this class American History... X."

"Do you like quotes, Alex? You know, like, famous quotes? I find reading them inspirational. In my reading I've come across some you might like... the quote goes, 'How happy is the blameless vestal's lot / The world forgetting by the world forgot / Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind / Each prayer accepted and each wish resigned.'"

5. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

I presume you're referring to this?:

[​IMG]

I don't recall that line of dialogue. But it's been decades since I saw the film.

6. S. P. Honeybunch

Should a character necessarily have to speak the title for understanding the movie? Is the director dumbing things down by feeling the need to insert the title into the dialogue? There's nothing wrong with speaking the title unless the director or screenwriter is trying to awkwardly force the issue.

7. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

8. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

In the opening scene of The Godfather, Marlon Brando says, "You don't even think to call me Godfather."

The movie turned out OK anyway.

9. S. P. Honeybunch

True, but 'Godfather" isn't a profound or complex title that signifies meaning beyond the name of a character. We have to separate a title that simply mentions the name of a character with titles that convey deeper meanings and mysteries.

10. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

"Robocop 2" and "Wayne's World 2" -- yes, the characters actually said "two"!

11. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

I think it is only in the title card in the beginning although in the novel Scarlett muses whether Tara was still standing or was it gone with the wind that swept through Georgia (Sherman’s army). It comes from a poem “Non sum quails eram bonae Sub Rega Cynare” by Ernest Dowson 1867-1900. Margaret Mitchell thought of calling the book “Tomorrow is another day” or “Bugles sang true”. A couple of phrases from Dowson in his poems have come to be remembered: “Days of Wine and Roses” and “I have been faithful…in my fashion”.

I guess Blofield telling James Bond “You only live twice” kind of explains the title although the movie is pretty flawed

12. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

I read an interview with Penn Jillette many years ago where he described a weekly Friday night get together with his buddies. They would meet at the Howard Johnson's in Times Square for a late dinner and then hit a Midnight movie screening. Any time a character in the movie would say the title of the film the entire group would stand and give a brief standing ovation. :D I find these "title drops" to be amusing and not necessarily a sign of a stinker....

Here's a link to a video montage of 150 movie "title drops"....

Video: 150 Film Characters Saying The Title Of The Movie They're In

13. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

"This is an easy gig. It's a Midnight Run for chrissakes!" - Moscone (Bail Bonds)

Of course, it turns out to be anything but.

Fantastic film. Line makes perfect sense.

14. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

In Weird Al Yankovic's UHF, characters say it twice.
    Uncle Harvey says it early on (when he won the station)
    "It's a little UHF station on the edge of town..."
    It's just him describing the TV station.

And Fletcher says it in anger towards the end, putting emphasis on the fact that it is just a small, local TV station:
    "Because of some fly-by-night UHF station. A UHF station!"
    Again, it's him describing the station.
    These lines don't enhance the film or detract anything from it.

Also, there's the song at the end, but I don't count that.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  15. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

In Solo: A Star Wars Story, an imperial officer writes "Solo" in Han's imperial application because he doesn't have a last name and he is alone.
    "Han..." punches keys on the computer, "Solo."
    This is rather early on in the movie. It is also emphasized, and seems a bit corny. When people say it later, it's normal.

16. FredV

FredV Senior Member

17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

18. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Anyone else reminded of this very silly Family Guy scene?

Not just the Brosnan ones. Off the top of my head, there are a couple of them in the Roger Moore films too. In For Your Eyes Only, along with the secret dossier stamped with the title phrase that Bond gets in his briefing, there's the sultry "For your eyes only darling" the Bond girl says to him at the end before she strips off. And in A View To A Kill, there's even a shared one when Christopher Walken's Zorin and Grace Jones's May Day are on his blimp and have this exchange:

May Day: [overlooking San Francisco bay from the blimp] Wow. What a view!
    Zorin: To a kill!

I have a hunch there are others.

19. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

The first thing that occurred to me. Nice closure for the film. Until then, one is never entirely sure why the film has that title. There are hints earlier, of course, and one might have to put them all together to see the meaning most clearly (e.g., at 1:32 in the following).

20. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Kirk Douglas/Ace in the Hole

21. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

Taken (skip to 0:22)

22. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

I don't remember reading anything like that in the opening post.

23. S. P. Honeybunch

HaileyMcComet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.