Elvis Presley: The Movies - Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bink, Aug 22, 2021.

1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

It was a different time? And it was a movie. Stupid parents make great stories.

RSteven and croquetlawns like this.
  2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I just watched the Blu-ray as well that just came out this summer. I guess great minds think alike once again, Lol. The ambition was there as far as trying to film parts of the movie at the actual Seattle World's fair in 1962, but it is a pretty mediocre film at best. It is a lighthearted film and Elvis looks great as do his two female love interests in the movie. Yvonne Craig would end up being in several movies with Elvis and later a couple episodes of Star Trek, IIRC.

The soundtrack does feature several gems in my opinion. I love hearing one of Elvis's very favorite songwriters play piano on his own composition, They Remind Me Too Much Of You. Elvis gives us a very nice vocal on that one. I also enjoy the jazz and swing elements in Relax and A World Of Our Own. Listen to those great trio of guitarists on the former song and take a look at the adorable Yvonne Craig in the video below.

3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Good Lord man! Yvonne Craig will forever be Batgirl!
    [​IMG]

4. While I do like Relax, it’s too much of a retread of Fever for me to ‘like’ it more :)

Bink and RSteven like this.
  5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

True enough, right down to that bass and finger snaps. I still like it though, maybe its the guitars, Lol.

Shawn and Bink like this.
  6. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

I remember watching World's Fair as a child and quite enjoying it, but through an adults eyes it is not very substantial.

I also noted the 'great parenting' on evidence in the plot where the young child was left with a hitchhiker that they had just met. I used to work for Children's Social Care services so when watching it now an eyebrow is definitely raised. Oh well let's just put it down to a daft plot and a different time!

I find the songs pleasant but there are obviously no classics. I did enjoy Relax, probably because it sounds like Fever!

This is yet another movie directed by Norman Taurog, so I decided to look him up - he started his film making career in the 1920's and later directed movies with the young Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney. By the time he was directing Elvis he was right at the end of his career - perhaps that was part of the issue for Elvis. As a groundbreaking young singer he should have teamed up with groundbreaking young film makers. Having said that, I can't fault Taurog's work technically - it is beautifully filmed.

However it is tempting to look at other movies in the 60's and wonder how Elvis might have fared in those sort of roles. Psycho anyone?

7. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Wow, that thought would have never crossed my mind! I wonder what he might have sung during the shower scene? :laugh:

RSteven, Shawn and Bink like this.
  8. [QUOTE="Bink, post: 27899507, member: 60411"This is yet another movie directed by Norman Taurog, so I decided to look him up - he started his film making career in the 1920's and later directed movies with the young Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney. By the time he was directing Elvis he was right at the end of his career - perhaps that was part of the issue for Elvis. As a groundbreaking young singer he should have teamed up with groundbreaking young film makers. Having said that, I can't fault Taurog's work technically - it is beautifully filmed.

However it is tempting to look at other movies in the 60's and wonder how Elvis might have fared in those sort of roles. Psycho anyone?[/QUOTE]

Great point on the directors. I mentioned Elvis in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof earlier, but imagine him in a role in any of the top movies of this time frame - heck, I’d even like to have seen him as Boo Ridley!

RSteven and Bink like this.
  9. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Photoshop Elvis into any film. The giggles are endless. Elvis as Henry Higgins? As anybody in The Alamo(or everybody)? As the Boston strangler? As Bert in Mary Poppins?
    How about Elvis in A Mad Mad World(the Dick Shawn part).
    [​IMG]

RSteven likes this.
  10. Bink

I'm Falling In Love Tonight:

croquetlawns and Shawn like this.
  11. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I could see Elvis in The Alamo or in IAMMMW (I'm coming, Mama!, I'm coming!)

JamieC and Shawn like this.
  12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Just try contrasting that mediocre song and that rather annoying organ with this gorgeous Don Robertson song from the movie. The little girl that Elvis forms a bond with in the movie is Vicky Tiu, who much later would go on to be the first lady of Hawaii. Several of her siblings were also in Elvis's Girls, Girls, Girls movie. They Remind Me Too Much Of You is a sonic delight.

13. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

So did that red dog go on to be Clifford? :D

RSteven likes this.
  14. croquetlawns

The most beautiful ballad in the film, and he's singing it to a sleeping child! :doh:

Shawn and RSteven like this.
  15. Bink

It appears Vicky Cayetano, the actress who played the young girl, later went on to be the First Lady of Hawaii:

Vicky Cayetano - Wikipedia

Shawn and croquetlawns like this.
  16. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

How have I lived here all my life and not heard this about Vicky Cayetano??? She's actively considering a run for governor next year and should play this up, seeing how people in this country love turning celebrities loose in the halls of state legislatures and congress.

Shawn, JamieC and RSteven like this.
  17. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Actually the song is in his thoughts. Who he singing the song about? We'll never know

RSteven, croquetlawns and Shawn like this.
  18. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

As far as a drop off it was in quality between King Creole and World's Fair, the bar would drop even lower! That's the most frustrating aspect about Elvis's movie career.

19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Low budget situation comedy + travelogue + mediocre songs = Elvis movie.
    Yup. Thats the formula

20. I met Gary Lockwood once and of course brought up 2001 (perhaps my favorite movie). In hindsight, I wish I had at least asked him about any recollections in working with Elvis on Wild In The Country - Lockwood’s first movie role - and World’s Fair. I’m sure there wouldn’t be anything revelatory but always nice to hear fist-hand experiences directly.

21. Bink

OK, brace yourself.........

How would You Like To Be:

Shawn likes this.
  22. croquetlawns

I actually really like this song! I couldn't listen to it regularly, but it always brings a smile when I do hear it - a very catchy melody. But I do prefer the Elvis-only soundtrack version...

23. That is one highly-tensioned snare drum head! I guess I prefer it to Big Boots, it’s got that going for it. Maybe I’ll keep a log of songs Elvis sings to/with kids as we go forward. Or not.

RSteven, Bink and croquetlawns like this.
  24. Bink

Fun In Acapulco

Year of release: 1963
    Studio: Paramount
    Director: Richard Thorpe

Plot:
    Elvis plays Mike Windgren, who after being fired from his job as a boat hand, works as a life guard as well as a nightclub singer. He also tries to overcome his fear of heights by taking up diving.

Songs:
    Fun In Acapulco
    Vino, Dinero Y'Amor
    I Think I'm Going To Like It Here
    Mexico
    El Toro
    Marguerita
    The Bullfighter Was A Lady
    (There's) No Room To Rhumba In A Sports Car
    Bossa Nova Baby
    You Can't Say No In Acapulco
    Guadalajara

Trailer:

RSteven and croquetlawns like this.
  25. croquetlawns

Wow, the girl in the bikini is 'the shape of things to come'... !