The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. jethrotoe

jethrotoe Forum Resident

This is a good song and necessary for the album. The lead character is excited again, but between the lines of his exuberance, we see how predatory and superficial the music industry, and the fame that goes along with it, is.

I love how heavy this song is. Dave is in fine form here. Great guitar tone too.

Who does the voices during the bridge? Are they all Ray?

I’m not the biggest fan of the ripping off of “Land of 1000 Dances” though. It’s a little lazy, isn’t it?

I never would have guessed the voice at the end was meant to be Jewish. I always thought it was meant to be Scottish.

markelis, ARL, Fortuleo and 8 others like this.
  2. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Top of the Pops
    I love this song. I mean, how many songs are written from the view point of having been hot, and then not...and then back on top? It's a great insight to fame and success.

I'm not as well versed, but want to say the power chords there at different points remind me of Spinal Tap tunes (Big Bottom??). Just over the top. So I think any excess in this song is totally on purpose and I love it. Anything the Kinks (and particularly Ray) do is very well thought out. It's not by accident.

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Is that then a......blessing?

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  4. All Down The Line

Look for Part Two, it's cheaper!

markelis, DISKOJOE, sharedon and 4 others like this.
  5. Wondergirl

Right? There were several songs that I knew and had no idea they were on this album. and some instrumentals. I was most impressed and surprised overall.

6. All Down The Line

Absolutely, plus like the Kinks he looks like he's had a hit!

7. All Down The Line

Now isn't that better than being a tasteless spendthrift!

8. All Down The Line

I don't have that LP to study Ray's lyric's but am told Percy's pen is mightier than his sword!

9. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

Au contraire. Part Two is priceless.

10. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

How could I leave this behind. :D

11. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

I didn't think of them as bitter either, more wry and jaundiced. But they probably did come from a bitter place! Either way, they are pretty on target, I think.
    That's what I thought too, but I'm not from the UK, so what do I know?!

I was going to save these comments for "Rats" but I'm going out of town so I'll do it now. After my 2nd listen through the album, I thought "OK, so this is their hard rock album" (though upon further listening I realized only 4 songs fall in that category), "but it sounds so of its time and ordinary." But after a few more listens, I realized I am a sucker for Dave's power riffs (even the dumb ones, apparently ;)). My favorite Kinks period may be circa 1967-1968, because of the wide stylistic variety and vocal harmonies, but it was hearing their 80s live arena rock recordings several years ago that got me excited about the Kinks again. And I'm not a metalhead at all!

I will say that so far, each album after Face to Face has come up substantially in my estimation, and now I am loving this one. But the next half dozen look to be a much heavier lift for me (not to get ahead of the story)...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    LX200GPS, ARL, ajsmith and 9 others like this.
  12. All Down The Line

Absolutely & it's only available directly from Ray Davies as a frontal lobe download!

13. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

That's what we like to hear! It really is remarkable how long they were amazing. I can somewhat understand someone jumping ship after Schoolboys In Disgrace, since they do become a slightly different band during the Arista years, but the RCA years have a lot of the same qualities as the Pye/Reprise years. I think this thread will persuade some ship jumpers to get back on board.

ajsmith, Fortuleo, donstemple and 8 others like this.
  14. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I agree that the cut off is as likely to be Arista as RCA - I enjoy most of the RCA albums, plus Sleepwalker, but I'm struggling with Misfits. I'm not sure how to exactly define AOR but if, as mentioned in the Allmusic review, Misfits is them getting better at the genre than they were on Sleepwalker, then I don't really like AOR!

15. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Yeah. I don't want to get too far ahead, but I definitely prefer the RCA years. I do like Sleepwalker and Misfits, but they become a different type of band. I have a hard time separating those two albums. They sound like they could be a double album. I don't hear much difference in either record. I totally understand a Kinks fan not getting into these albums as much. I also know that these two albums have plenty of admirers. It's going to be a rocky road as we go along. I'm looking forward to it!

It does surprise me when someone loves The Kinks, but they drop off after Lola or Muswell Hillbillies.

16. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Top Of The Pops
    I like how Ray digs out a "You Really Got Me" inspired riff to open this song. Some clever bits in the lyrics help this song both fit with the album and have merit on its own.

17. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Forum Resident

I believe that would be a downlobe.
    I like Sleepwalker quite a bit better than Misfits and look forward to this thread getting to 1977 sometime in 2023.
    Sleepwalker doubled with Misfits would not be a bad double LP. I have a hard time remembering which is which with Give the People What They Want and State of Confusion until I check the track listing due to the extremely similar album art. Can't wait to see what people have to say about the Arista years. On the whole I enjoy that "era."

18. Wondergirl

Talk about mudflaps...:D

mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Not at all. It’s clever. It’s the radio playing a song that’s on Top of the Pops. (Again, I scoured review after review looking for the song title...and couldn’t find a review that even mentioned the inclusion of Land of 1000 Dances. Did this just fly over the reviewers heads?!)

20. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

The Land Of 1000 Dances riff in this song has certainly been noted and mentioned for years on various Kinks threads here and other sites over the years, so this is not new. It’s pretty obvious of course.
    I think it’s intentional on Ray’s part. It fits with the theme of the album. An artist’s next single should mimic if not downright copy whatever has proved successful recently. It’s another shot at the industry from Ray here.

21. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

For what it’s worth, I have known Top of the Pops for nearly 20 years, I have played Land of 1000 Dances with the marching band every Friday night for 4 years during high school, remember “Here Comes the Hotstepper” from the 90s very well, and I never made the connection between that guitar riff here and that song. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

22. All Down The Line

Colour me dumb too as i even played it onstage with one outfit!

23. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

Why would you need to change your clothing in the middle of the performance?

24. All Down The Line

Life is a cabaret o'l chum!

25. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

I don't even know "Land of 1000 Dances"!:oops: