Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

3. SeeDubs

SeeDubs Forum Resident

When Evan Parker reissued this on his Psi label in 2006 he removed Bailey's and Bennink's names from the cover. I appreciated having access to the music on CD, but mis-crediting it seemed pretty scummy to me.

[​IMG]

4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

My understanding is that he's not the nicest guy on the block.

5. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

That's unfair - you have to know the back history between Bailey and Parker and the Incus label.

And having spoken to him on numerous occasions I can say that he is a nice guy and very approachable. Some of his current views are...controversial but nobody's perfect.

Edit - if you have access to the 2006 CD take a look at what EP says about how Bailey effectively prevented him from reissuing the album until Bailey had died!

There's two sides to every story...

Sorcerer, bzfgt and jay.dee like this.
  6. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

He’s been very friendly and approachable over the years the few times I’d gotten up the nerve to chat with him.

7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I can only go with what I've been told by folks who know him better then I, and stuff like this, and yes, his current views.

Follow the science: Evan Parker’s views on the pandemic and Brexit - The Wire

That said, I only really care about his music, and that I'm a very big fan of.

bzfgt and jay.dee like this.
  8. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Out of the first four instalments of Sam Rivers' archive series I liked the most the 2nd and 3rd: Zenith '77 (quartet with the same tuba player) and Ricochet '78 (classic trio with Holland and Altschul).

The 1st volume Emanation '71 (trio with McBee and Connors) was a huge letdown for me (two years later Streams with the same lineup blows that one out of water), and unfortunately I found this 4th one (Braids '79) clearly inferior to the 2nd. Hence if you like Braids you should definitely check Zenith!

Now there is the 5th volume Undulation just out (quartet with Jerry Byrd on guitar) from the 1981 tour, which was previously documented on Crosscurrent: Live At Jazz Unité. It showcases Sam in his peculiar fusion phase and I love it, so I'm looking forward to hearing this newest release.

NoBusiness Records - Sam Rivers

bzfgt and sberger like this.
  9. Steve Minkin

Steve Minkin Senior Member

[​IMG]

Keith Tippett – Friday The 13th

93curr, bzfgt and jay.dee like this.
  10. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

When I saw him at the Bimhuis in Amsterdam he seemed very friendly and approachable, though I did not dare nor feel inclined to do so. He was standing by himself in the nearly empty concert room among the audience seats pre-concert, soaking up the scene, seemingly very relaxed and good-humoured. Meanwhile the audience was drinking and chatting in the adjacent bar and entree. Why would a curmudgeon expose himself like that? I got a good vibe off him for what it's worth.

His current views on Brexit, etc. are appalling and will come to bite him and his fellow Brit musicians, in fact, they already are.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    bzfgt and jay.dee like this.
  11. Roger Thornhill

Sad to hear of the death in a road accident of the founder of The Wire magazine.

Anthony Wood (7 June 1948–15 September 2021) - The Wire

I saw the very first issue with Steve Lacy on the front of it in Ray's Jazz way back in 1982 and have bought - and still have - every issue since.

It's been one of the main reasons my musical life has become so varied over years. I've lost count of the number of recordings that I bought of musicians that I didn't know at the time having read a review in The Wire.

RIP Anthony Wood.

j4yheindeo, Nimby, jay.dee and 2 others like this.
  12. Roger Thornhill

It was not "mis-credited" as it is and always was an EP album. The other musicians are listed on the rear cover.

To get an idea of what Bailey thought of such a landmark recording - besides the fact that it was the first release on Incus - try reading Ben Watson's biog of Bailey. One single mention that it was released - no analysis.

jay.dee and Sorcerer like this.
  13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

[​IMG]

93curr likes this.
  14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Oh that's terrible. I don't have every issue but was aware of the magazine from it's very early days and have many. A great publication.

Roger Thornhill likes this.
  15. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

jay.dee and bzfgt like this.
  16. SeeDubs

SeeDubs Forum Resident

Phill Niblock - YPGPN (XI reissue, 2002)

The title stands for "A Young Person's Guide to Phill Niblock," and it was originally issued with that full title on Blast First in 1995. Since discovering Niblock about 4 years ago I've become a huge fan.

[​IMG]

17. SeeDubs

SeeDubs Forum Resident

. . . and today Important Records announces that they will be reissuing Opus 17 on CD: ELIANE RADIGUE - Opus 17 - 2x CD - PRE-ORDER

18. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I had to drive today....

River, Tiger, Fire Agusti Fernandez

The first disc is one of the greatest things I've ever heard, a large band and a great composition. The second is also great, kind of spacey atmospheric stuff. The last two tried my patience--too much piano tinkling for my philistine sensibilities.

Live at the Vortex Foxes Fox (Parker, Moholo, Beresford, Edwards) a favorite and has Kenny Wheeler on last two tracks, which are great.

Also listened to some Sun Ra and Wayne Shorter....

19. bzfgt

Sprits Rejoice! Louis Moholo Octet

Kind of a mix of catchy grooves and free jazz. Shows another side of Evan Parker.

93curr, deege3000, jay.dee and 4 others like this.
  20. bzfgt

Also last week I forgot to log New York Eye and Ear Control and Spritual Unity by Ayler, Peacock, Murray and on the former Don Cherry and John Tchai.

420JJJazz666, 93curr, jay.dee and 4 others like this.
  21. Steve Minkin

Steve Minkin Senior Member

[​IMG]

Keith Tippett – Mujician I & II

22. bzfgt

Spontaneous Music Ensemble Quintessence it's a lot all at once, but great insectoid stuff nonetheless...

23. johnnypaddock

Dahabenzapple, bzfgt and jay.dee like this.
  24. johnnypaddock

Ses-Sens (EP)
    by Tàlveg

released June 4, 2020

Marcel·lí Bayer, baritone saxophone
    Ferran Fages, electric guitar
    Oriol Roca, drums

The debut release from a trio based in Barcelona. I love the sound. To me it's quiet, ethereal, tons of space, kind of dark, with a few loud moments that come out of nowhere.

[​IMG]

jay.dee, bzfgt and Dahabenzapple like this.
  25. johnnypaddock

Arbori
    by Tàlveg

released June 27, 2020

Marcel·lí Bayer, baritone saxophone
    Ferran Fages, electric guitar
    Oriol Roca, drums

This is unreal! The first few tracks sounded like a continuation of the EP, just like it's all one album. The intensity really picks up by the third track Volx, which shows some serious fire. They mix short and long pieces throughout the record to great effect. This is one of my favorite discoveries in awhile.

[​IMG]

jay.dee and bzfgt like this.