The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Simple - plug the tape out of C220 into CH1 on the mixer, line input.

2. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

You are changing your eyeball position.

3. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for your help !
    Sorry for my question but why turning it into line level ?
    Is it to connect the SL to an line input to the mixer ?
    I learn day after day...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  4. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

Really ?
    Then i will ear my SL1200 with phono selected on the front panel selector of the C220 ?

5. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Yes, it's fixed level, so volume will be regulated on the mixer.

T86911 likes this.
  6. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

Is there an optimal position I should be looking at this in? Thanks!

7. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Because of those impedance issues I mentioned before - line level signals have no issues with that.
    Impedance matching is very important to the frequency response of both MM and MC cartridges... you should look up information on cartridge loading.

8. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

You must align your eye for a line of sight on axis to the tonearm’s diameter plane This line of sight must be maintained but that is difficult without being able to anchor your head on something. The tonearm must also be perpendicular to the line of sight. If these conditions are not executed exactingly then the angular error increases with distance from eye to tonearm. In other words do not appraise level cart condition by looking down, up, or at an angle to the tonearm. If you want perfection glue a small bead on the top of each end of a ruler then place your eye to superimpose the rear bead upon the front bead and then aim to the centerline of the tonearm. That will get you very good recognition for a level cart when the beads are on horizontal plane to tonearm centerline.

9. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So i begin with a phono preamp like this :

Préamplificateurs Phono - maPlatine.com

to turn it into line level (there is a lot of prices even only MM cartridge :crazy:)...

After i plug very short RCA cable to the output of the préamp to the input line of the mixer ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    after I need a passive monitoring instead of splitter ?

10. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

I saw this morning a McIntosh dealer and he's agree with your solution wich is easier than bypass the inside Mcphono preamp with another preamp to turn the signal into line level. He said to put level to 0 of the C220.

11. Oelewapper

Yes.

No the short cable should be the phono cable.
    Your phono preamp should be close to the turntable.
    The line output from the phono preamp can easily be run a few meters over an unbalanced connection (in a normal home environment).
    A balanced connection has a very high noise rejection, so that can be run for much longer distances (unfortunately, most phono preamps don’t have those).
    Line level connections is what every other audio device uses as input/output (except for microphones of course).

The tape out suggestion of @RPM would work fine, but it’s fairly temporary if you change your audio setup topology regularly (at least I did, back when I was both into DJing and HiFi at the same time).

T86911 likes this.
  12. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

Because of i want to keep the C220 préamp and i don't want for that moment to change my audio topology, i will try the tape out suggestion (the Mc dealer i saw this morning is agree too). He sais that it's a "exotic" solution but less wire is better...Anyway thank a lot for your advice and as you were both into DJing and HiFi at the same time, sure you understand my problem !

Oelewapper likes this.
  13. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

Thanks you very much !!

14. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Yeah, no need to bypass, you get the same thing this way, unless you want a better phono stage, but I believe the one in the c220 is pretty good.
    The volume knob doesn't affect tape out, only the "main" outputs. He said to put volume at 0 probably "just in case" or maybe to avoid possible (unlikely) interference at the power amp as it will receive both signals from the C220 and the mixer, selected by the switch on the back. Some power amps' manuals advise not to connect both balanced and rca at the same time, no matter the switch, but some amps allow it or don't mention such warning.
    :cheers:

T86911 likes this.
  15. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

Anyone else adjust the torque settings on their GR? After much experimentation with my setup, I found torque level 2 sounds excellent! The mids just sound more involving and unconstrained at this setting.

16. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip! I have my G and GR at 1 with my Oyaide mat :)

17. LAB1904

LAB1904 Active Member

Finally ordered an SL1210-GR. Seems like a stores are atarting to get them in.

C.Ludwig likes this.
  18. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

How/where is this adjustment made?

19. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Under the platter, thru a hole in it.
    There are 2 switches
    Torque
    Braking

[​IMG]

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  20. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Found an online calculator for eff mass. Looked at the calculation, looks reasonable but can't vouch for accuracy. The cartridge weight (and tracking force) are not in the calculated eff mass (I zero'ed it an it did not change).

One is for oem spec, the other for my head shell and alignment. I verified the CW, exactly 100 gm. I weighed my tonearm 3 times, average was 8 gm. I weighed the arm ~ the level it would be while playing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  21. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

Should the VTA be different on the G and the GR because of the G's brass layer on the platter? Thanks!

22. Oelewapper

I think the manual gives the same VTA values for both, so it’s probably the same.

23. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Just to share with the SL-1200 monster thread patrons / residents - I recently put an AT-150MLx on my 1200G, and I've been astounded with the results. I was expecting it to be good, but it's better than that.

Note I'm running it through an Accuphase C-27 (40db, 47 khz) phono pre --> Accuphase C-2410 line stage (+6db added) --> Yamaha Ns-2000 speaker

I've tried probably 7 or 8 carts on the G so far - including a number of MC AT's like the 33ev, 33PTGii, OC9iii, OC9mlii - and I didn't expect the MM 150MLx to be right in there with the MC carts.

I've used the 150Mlx in many different TT's / pre's and for some reason this combo just hits the magic... I've tried rock, jazz, classical, country, female vocals.... it's really working well. I know it's a great cart, it just keeps giving.

mackat likes this.
  24. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

Do the talk settings make differences in wow and flutter or is that really minimal?
    Anyone else hear a difference? tempted to do this myself but totally blind and can't feel those switches anywhere!

25. stratmel

stratmel Forum Resident

I've been waiting a good long while to order one. Where did you order yours from?