Media Mail has been remarkably fast lately

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by The_Shocker, Jul 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

1 week is the average for media lately. Which is really not bad.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  2. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I can mix that with one the one I have being mailed to me from New Jersey that has been there since the 10th. It's pretty hit, but more hit lately. There are still some post offices that take forever to sort though.

3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

One LP Media Mail from Midwest to West Coast - 49 hours from "USPS in possession" to delivery.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well, I am reading that the mail is about to get much slower due to the new organizational changes being implemented shortly. Maybe Media is not going to be affected?

5. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I doubt it....a lot gets thrown into first class bins and on planes the next day.

6. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Karma ensured that my most recent delivery took 24 days. :laugh:

7. WarEagleRK

Mostly media mail has been going smoothly lately, but I've got two items that I am waiting on that I assumed shipped media mail that have been out around 2 weeks. One has yet to scan, but the seller has said they dropped it off.

September 29, 2021
    In Transit, Arriving Late
    Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.
    September 25, 2021, 4:19 am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    LOS ANGELES CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    September 25, 2021, 3:04 am
    Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
    LOS ANGELES, CA 90026
    September 21, 2021
    Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

September 22, 2021
    Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item
    The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on September 22, 2021 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if/when available.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  8. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

#1: I live in the OC but work in the far eastern reaches of LA county. I do my best to avoid checking in packages at Cerritos because they route through the LA Distribution Center, also known as one of the circles of hell where packages go to get lost. My OC packages go through the Anaheim Distribution Center which has a much better track record.

#2: Never trust a drop-off. Always check in a package to get that first scan.

WarEagleRK likes this.
  9. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

How come?

10. WarEagleRK

The fear of a repeat of the disaster that was media mail last holiday season.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  11. John DeAngelis

I didn't know about this. Can you tell me more?

12. WarEagleRK

I'm not sure if you are being serious with this question or not. However, last year during the holiday season due to some changes made at the USPS that included a lot of job cuts (and other political changes that are best not discussed on here) as well as employee shortages due to covid there was a huge slowdown on the turnaround time of all mail. When that happened media mail which is the lest priority got stored for weeks at many USPS facilities before it got shipped out. I think some people had 2 or more month turnaround times on shipping a CD out during that time last year.

cwitt1980 and John DeAngelis like this.
  13. John DeAngelis

I was being serious, so thanks for the backstory. My wife has been selling stuff on ebay, so Media Mail is a concern. The other day Ebay sent out a notice that sellers could no longer ship CDs via Media Mail. Then at the end of the day, they sent out another notice that the first notice was a mistake!

14. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Had another Media Mail delivery only take two days.

SJP likes this.
  15. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Some of my orders have been very fast, some very slow. I'm happy for the former, patient with the later. Everything I've ever ordered has always arrived at some point.

Same with book orders I've shipped through by on-line book business. To have shipped 698 orders over the last 9 1/2 years and never received a complaint about arrival or arrival time is further reason for me to have great faith in USPS. Those shipments have gone to most of the states including Alaska and Hawaii and to several overseas locations. The vast majority of books I've shipped have gone media mail, a few now and then have gone Priority.
    I'm always baffled when people complain about modern mail service. I think it's amazing.

SJP likes this.
  16. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Like Grandpa, it will get backed up again during the holidays.

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

In the past few weeks I have had:

1) Media mail shipped LP (in oversized LP mailer) shredded in the mail system and delivered crumpled.
    2) Media mail package bounced from delivery address as "abandoned address," even though the recipient is living there. Package never got back to me
    3) Media mail package delivered with contents shattered. Footprint on the envelope.

But delivery times aren't bad.

18. WarEagleRK

It seems like anything coming through Memphis is starting to get a bit of a delay again. Last holiday season media mail would sit in Memphis for weeks.

19. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Atlanta too

20. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

10 pounds of LP from Denver to Massachusetts this past week: 6 days media

21. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster

OK, how about this?...
    I ordered a Black Friday Record Store Day item from Zia Records on Saturday. It shipped from AZ and arrived here in Ohio today. So around 48 hours from Arizona to Ohio. Not too bad I'd say!

Alan

Dave likes this.
  22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I purchased a Yes cd off of ebay last week and even with Thanksgiving holiday it came today in less than a week.

Dave likes this.
  23. My most recent packages have been getting stuck in Memphis again, one incoming is at 10 days and an outgoing at 5 days with nothing. Previously several others were considerably late but eventually processed and delivered.

USPS package #9449008205498721039411
    www.usps.com

In transit

ProcessedIn transitDelivered
    DATE TIME LOCATION STATUS
    Apr 14 12:00 AM In transit, arriving late
    Apr 9 4:44 AM Memphis Tn Network Distribution Center Arrived at USPS regional facility
    Apr 6 10:19 PM Los Angeles Ca Network Distribution Center Departed USPS regional facility
    Apr 6 2:33 PM Los Angeles Ca Network Distribution Center Arrived at USPS regional origin facility
    Apr 6 1:18 PM Woodland Hills, CA, United States Accepted at USPS origin facility

24. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Because it's Memphis.

25. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Back during that really bad holiday of slow mail, any time I saw a package hit Memphis, I knew it'd be stuck there for a long time. Recently I've had something stuck in St. Louis for near a month. In general, Media Mail hasn't seemed bad with the exception of seeing more items not being scanned when they go out.

Joseph.McClure likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.