The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

In my opinion, no.
    You only need torque to get it started, once spinning it's minimal.
    The setting afaik is torque gain. How much torque is increased/decreased per unit error or deviation. Perhaps lower gain would make correction slower but smoother.

I left mine at factory, I could see it may be useful for a DJ though.

recstar24 likes this.
  2. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Idk about the GR, but for the G, the automatic setting has been measured to give the lowest wow/flutter.

3. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

No particular warning about connecting both xlr and rca...

[​IMG]

4. JP

JP Forum Resident

Here are some measurements on the 10R: 81. I know you can't see the graphs @Robert Godridge, but hopefully the narrative is helpful. I can post the data in table format if that helps?

Randoms likes this.
  5. Ingenieur

Nice
    Now I have to join to see the graphs , lol
    Which would you use? I'm guessing 1, lowest torque gain.
    I may split the difference and set mine at 2 (only 3 settings on the GR).

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  6. JP

JP Forum Resident

5. From the measurement spread it's really splitting hairs, though. I think it's all inconclusive without a dynamic load on the motor.

Ingenieur likes this.
  7. Ingenieur

In other words, in my case 3, factory setting.
    :righton:

8. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

Here are the sound differences in my experimentation with my setup 1200GR/sumiko blackbird/technics headshell

Torque level.
    3- Fast tight bass and more detailed upfront sound but mids sound a bit boxed in and flat. Sounds a bit artificial

2- More loose sound, gives mids room to breath, sounds more realistic with bigger soundstage and more relaxed bass.

1- Even looser, the whole sound presentation becomes a bit fat and too stretched/wide with slow bass. Not a fan

Ofcourse the sound characteristics of your cartridge may have better synergy with either of these but in my setup, level 2 has performed the best and gives a pleasant sound.

9. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

Thank you for that, that is interesting. I wish I had that kind of money!

10. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Update on my 1200G/AM radio tuner. Took it to a local shop and it got a clean bill of health. So, at least I know it’s not an issue with the 1200G. I ordered a Furman power strip that supposedly filters RFI, didn’t work. Got a three prong to two prong adapter and it eliminated the AM broadcast when the turntable is at idle, but weirdly has a faint broadcast when I’m touching the headshell. So, the two prong adapter is my band aid for right now since it isn’t picking up the signal when spinning records.

I called the radio station to see if they could help. They took my info but never got back to me with suggestions on how to fix the issue. So, not sure what the next step is.

11. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

Have you tried changing the wall plug?

12. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I was specifically told by McIntosh NOT to connect both XLR and unbalanced inputs at the same time on the MC275, despite the switch.

When asked if I could connect two different preamps, Chuck Hinton told me: “You can not connect both XLR and RCA at the same time, they are tied together and the 2 preamps would drive each other and damage to one of them is likely, ( even if one is off) .”

13. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

Oups ! I used to plug my macbook air the rca (xlr still connected) to listen différent sources (radio, youtube etc...) and nothing happened... you worry me.
    Another problem to connect the mixer :cry:

snorker likes this.
  14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Are you using shielded phono cables? You might also try a shielded mains cable. It's most likely a cable is picking up the radio signal.

15. Oelewapper

Well shielded phono cables are important indeed, but mains cable shouldn’t matter for radio reception, because it can’t pass through a PSU.
    And on 1200 turntables in particular, the signal is fully separated from the drive circuit that draws power via the mains cable.
    Shielding a mains cable only helps against radiated emission of noise, like that 50/60Hz hum.

Danmar, snorker and C.Ludwig like this.
  16. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

This is critical. @geddy402 If you’re not using it already try swapping in the Technics supplied phono cable. You don’t have to use that cable long term, but it is shielded and should help troubleshoot.

17. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Do unshielded phono cables exist?

18. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

No, but many use unshielded interconnects in a phono application.

19. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Yes, I'm using shielded phono cables. Three separate pairs of them to make sure it wasn't the cables. Its something coming throigh the entire house as I've plugged the turntable into various plugs in the house with the same results. Outlets are wired correctly based on my outlet checker.

The tech mentioned there are some kind of filters the radio station should be able to put on the signal coming into the house. We'll see what the station suggests and go from there.

20. Ingenieur

How close are you to the station antenna?
    Are you in a single family dwelling?

Have an electrician check your ground system (maybe improve it) and your panel N to G bond.

I say this because once you removed the ground it diminished the effect until you touched the tonearm which created a ground path thru your body to ground.

21. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

No sure where the antenna is. Only info i got was that its in the city somewhere. I'm in a row house with lots of electrical wires running behind the house.

Yeah, might see if an electrician can take a look and see if they can fix the grounding issue.

22. Ingenieur

Are all home's service meters ganged at one point fed from a common service?

If an older home make sure you have a rod, bonded to the water pipe, etc.

23. Oelewapper

Grounding via water piping is unreliable if it has been serviced in the past few decades, because non conductive (plastic) parts are sometimes used for connecting the pipes.

Danmar and recstar24 like this.
  24. Ingenieur

The NEC allows it as a supplemental.
    The ones I've measured are typically lower than a 10' rod. It does not have to continuous, only 10'.

I deal with ground systems on a regular basis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

recstar24 likes this.
  25. Ingenieur

Here's the deal about grounding: you never know what you have until you actually measure it.
    I've designed beds on paper, spot on.
    At other times: wth!?
    :biglaugh:

[​IMG]

Dignan2000 likes this.