AS you get older, do you find yourself using your system/s more than you used to?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by csgreene, Oct 5, 2021.

1. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident Thread Starter

While I've been fortunate with my health all these years, I'll turn 71 in November. I am still in good health so far but I find I'm spending more and more time listening to music via streaming, CD, or my record collection (which I find more enjoyment in playing these days though most of my listening is still streaming). I guess it's finally dawned on me that I have fewer years ahead of me than I used to. It's gonna be a shame one day to no longer be able to play music (unless what lies ahead includes a stereo system). Also, covid... (keeping us at home more than most of us were a couple years ago).

2. todd141

todd141 Forum Resident

I just turned 57 last month. I had left records/vinyl years ago when CDs were introduced while I was in college, but returned to LPs a few years ago. Rebuilt my collection to 1000+ records, and am enjoying it more than I thought I would. So, yeah, I use it more now than I did through my 30s, 40s and some of my 50s.

3. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

I can't say that I have been listening to more music overall, but the Panicdemic has definitely increased the use of the main system. The more I listened, the more inspired I was to make some long wanted upgrades, and with the upgrades came more listening and definitely more vinyl purchasing. I guess it could be chalked up to age since I am in a position where I only work if I want to, and with the aforementions P.demic, I'm sure not working in any schools for now.

saturdayboy, cporcp and all24bits like this.
  4. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Calvin_and_Hobbes Music Lover

+1 on COVID work-from-home increasing my music listening at home. It helps to have some stimulation when working from home with no one else around.

My kids now in high school and college has also increased my music listening as well. The danger of little hands touching turntables is long past. I did build a front end (streamer & DAC) for listening to local files and streamed music. I do find that I'm listening to that more than to vinyl. With work, I still often don't have the luxury of sitting and listening to records without doing something else at the same time. It's easier to multi-task when listening to digital than when listening to records.

addicted2, DME1061 and all24bits like this.
  5. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

I have always listened to music all my life - it is ingrain to me as breathing but I admit I am indulging a lot more now than when younger, especially since I set up a Turntable and got into LPs in a big way . I am excited to find new artists (via streaming, then purchasing the physical) and even though I work full time I find I am spending way more time in my music & have invested in my system to maximize it within my means.

Short answer: Yes. :pineapple:

DME1061 and Clonesteak like this.
  6. A Grain of Sand

A Grain of Sand Forum Resident

I’m getting sick of all the damn commercials on TV. :blah:
    No commercials with music. :pineapple:

bluesky, Clonesteak, McLover and 7 others like this.
  7. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

I definitely listen more as I get older. I fit in at least 2 hours a day. Sometimes much more. I'm definitely getting my money's worth.

Tim 2, Nathan Z, DME1061 and 3 others like this.
  8. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Yep, listening more. But making a conscious effort to exercise more also.

It's a road we all travel together until the last few steps.

Not being able to travel to F1 races, my alma maters homecoming, etc. sucks.

I used to go to conferences and seminars a few times a year (Colorado, AZ, Palm Springs) and take my wife.

I feel like we've been on hold for 1.5 years.
    I am nervous about what the Country will see this fall/winter re:covid

All I can do is look out for me and mine.

9. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

No, actually I'm listening less even though my system has steadily gotten better over the years due to an increase in disposable income.

whaleyboy and bluesky like this.
  10. csgreene

That's really the heart of what prompted this thread. The older we get, the less time we have left to do those things that are so important to whether it's listening to music, spending time with our loved ones, or anything that we've held dear for so long without really coming to terms that it's all going to end, sooner for some than others. I guess it's all just a way to say something banal like, take time to smell the roses, enjoy every sandwich, whatever. It's like that line from The Godfather towards the end of the film where Don Corleone says something to Michael along the lines of, "I like to drink wine more than I used to." Michael responds, "It's good for you, Pop." and the Don answers, "Anyway, I'm drinking more." That sums up what I'm getting at.

And no, I haven't been drinking tonight! ;)

11. csgreene

Yeah. I do all the right stuff, diet, some exercise and strength training, brain activity (mostly playing chess), etc. But the older we get, I guess we have to come to terms that things don't last forever after all like we thought they would in our youth. Hell, I never thought I would get older; that was something other people did.

tumpux, Mr.Sign, Echoes Myron and 4 others like this.
  12. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

I'm in my late 30s and listen way less than in my 20s to early 30s. I've also considerably scaled down the "system" and am closer to how I'd listen to music as a teen. And perhaps due to streaming I've also found myself listening to more individual songs than albums.

13. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I’m listening the same amount but, due to COVID, it’s happening at home rather than commuting or at the office.

14. John Barta

John Barta Forum Resident

One of my peers (also aged 36) died unexpectedly a few weeks ago. And it really put things into prospective for me. That while I’m “young” that nothing is a given. I enjoy many hours each night listening to music on my modest setup, and it’s scary to know it can come to an end at any time. Cheers guys

15. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

At least you seem to be getting wiser as you get older!

Here's to a few more decades of quality listening!

Dred, DME1061, bever70 and 2 others like this.
  16. Ingenieur

fear of mortality: the common denominator

They say childhood ends the day you realize you will die.

I plan on working, at least part time, as long as I can. It keeps me mobile, interactive and mentally challenged.

Can't fight it, only accept it.
    Easier said than done lol

csgreene likes this.
  17. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

In my forties I am definitely enjoying my system more. I haven’t been to concerts in a few years now and the sound quality of rock music is way better at home. I can’t handle the loud decibel levels and at home I can control that.
    The evenings are best spent listening to music and enjoying a beer or two. I really want to spend and purchase some speakers/gear. In my mind if I buy now I can enjoy the rest of my life but I just need to get my wife on board.

Mr.Sign and bever70 like this.
  18. csgreene

Hopefully at least one if not two. I come from mostly long lived stock but I also remember the proverb, "Man plans, God laughs." I lost two of my best friends when were were all 49. One took himself out and the other, literally, drank himself to death. I didn't see either of those things coming that year. Recently, a couple from our small Jewish community here were killed in a local auto accident on the way home from a day trip. We'd just seen them a couple weeks before but coming back from Ketchum, the husband, who was driving, apparently got momentarily distracted, crossed the line (on the 2-way state highway, and boom! They were both killed. We are still in shock three months later. Here in one moment and gone in the next.

Jesus, we should probably go back to arguing about cables, snake oil, analog vs. digital, or something more productive... ;)

McLover, Dred, izeek and 3 others like this.
  19. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

I listen to music and read more because I do not watch a lot Tv baseball when it's in season and a occasional movie but the Majority of the time it is music and books

DME1061, Boomy and Clonesteak like this.
  20. Ingenieur

I wish I could say the same!

I'm just getting old but regressing.
    :)

I'll say this: I worry less (never did much anyways) and am getting happier as I get older.
    Less riled up about goings on.
    I eventually realized stuff I worried about would not matter shortly and fade away.
    And it always did.

Left much more room in the old noggin' for joy and appreciation.

At this rate I'll reach absolute bliss the day I croak.
    Just my luck! :biglaugh:

Coypu, Dred, Len-ski and 4 others like this.
  21. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Retirement definitely provided me more time to listen to my music collection.
    I spend at least three to five hours every day playing records and CDs.
    When I worked full time it was mostly on weekends.

22. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

That is terrible. I'm sorry to read about that. 36 is so young!

John Barta likes this.
  23. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I don't really have a "system" or "room". I'm currently finishing a few parts of our unfinished basement to make a few rooms. One for me, one for my wife (which she wants as a craft/hobby room) and another part which will be a workout area (which will contain storage area; one corner is a sump pump, furnace and water heater).

I resinsulated and enclosed our rim joists to have a clean look (none of that crappy exposed fiberglass insulation showing anymore); installed the studs with upper and bottom plates in two of the rooms; hung-up drywall in the rooms. I have somone helping us mud the seams and corners (as I don't have a lot of confidence in doing a good job at that!). We are a few coats in on that, should be done here within a week.

Anways, when I get to the point where our rooms are ready for furniture and such, I do want to start getting into this more. Right now I have a Denon micro CD system in our Great Room; it sounds pretty awesome, but I hardly play it. I have Tidal and Amazon Music (we have Prime); I prefer Tidal, but like bamaaudio I find myself playing songs, not albums in full. I don't know if it's because I have young kids and priorities ahead of sitting around and just doing what I want, but I find myself just doing more work when I have time to myself (like yardwork, housework, etc). At night I can't crank up a stereo system; I do have some great Beyerdynamic headphones, but ever since the headphone connector broke I haven't used them.

I feel like that dedicated room will create a space and ambiance for a hobby of music listening and getting back to watching movies again. I watch movies...but they are mostly kids movies! I enjoy my time doing that with my kids, but it'll be nice to have that space for me one of these days!

Ingenieur likes this.
  24. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I listen less.

:shrug:

Ingenieur likes this.
  25. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I resisted the lure of digital audio for years, but after finally setting up a music server with a nice DAC, to my own shock I have been fully ensnared by its charms. Having the ease and ability to randomly shuffle thousands of songs, or set up genre- or mood-specific playlists, etc. is irresistible.

To answer the OP: No.

Despite working from home, aside from doing some headphone listening in the morning, by the time the evening rolls around, I am too tired to listen to music most days.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    bamaaudio, izeek and Ingenieur like this.