Sony- 65" Class BRAVIA XR A80J Series OLED 4K UHD Smart Google TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

There are over 5000 posts in the AVS A80J Owners thread, 1300+ posts in their A80J Calibration/Settings thread and I’ve read every one of them. It’s addictive.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    audiomixer likes this.
  2. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I always thought motion smoothing looked wonky on other TVs, but it's so well done on the Sony, I actually prefer it with the motion smoothing on. I think we turned it down a notch from the factory settings, though. I read a couple of reviews that said the factory settings for the Sony sets were quite good out of the box.

audiomixer likes this.
  3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

Yes, out of the box gets you started. I believe I will be doing some minor tweeting at first and get deeper into it as time goes on.

4. audiomixer

Yes. Highly addictive, but quite informative.

Alan G. likes this.
  5. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I continue to be very impressed with the colors and picture of this set. I’ve never had a custom calibration on a set before, and I’m so happy I went for it this time. I’m watching so many more films and series than previously, and soaking in all the great cinematography.

audiomixer, Vidiot and longdist01 like this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Bah.

[​IMG]

7. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I know, I know... the purist in me was furious. :laugh:

It's just without it, things looked more... flickery. I dunno.

audiomixer likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think it's the visual equivalent of a "smile-face EQ and the Loudness button" on a stereo receiver. You're F'ing with the way the creators intended for you to experience the show.

I don't have a problem with using motion compensation for live events. But movies and TV shows shot at 24fps... naaa, that's blasphemy.

Turn Off These 3 TV Features for Better Picture Quality

SandAndGlass, G E, Lownote30 and 2 others like this.
  9. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I hear you. But maybe a better analogy is audio upsampling, because the device is "filling in" the missing information in digital audio, or, in this case "missing" frames.

audiomixer likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Did you read the article?

11. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

I sold big screen TV's in the very early 80's. I really got into them though I couldn't afford one. Then the Plasma flat screens came out and were available at Costco. I remember when about half the TV's on display there were CRT and the rest were flat. I said to my wife, "These are the last CRT's you'll ever see here", and was right. Even at that time I saw buying a CRT as the equivalent of buying an incandescent light bulb today for anything other than your lava lamp. But as sharp as those Plasma TV's were (compared to what came before them) I weirdly looked at them from the eyes of the "me" of today. That is, they seemed washed out and, though sharp, not impressive in color rendition, etc.

Fast forward to today and they have simply become a commodity to me. There aren't many decent movies any more and since I'm no longer wowed by special effects (though I do love good cinemaphotography), I consider all of them "good enough". The proof is that even after watching OLED at my daughter's house, I still love my 4k LG LED backlit 55"* set that I bought years ago for around $500. It's "good enough" to allow me to focus on what I'm watching rather than the quality of the set. It's crossed my personal "quality threshold."

That being said, if I had an unlimited budget, I'd love something that ensures black is really black, but in the same way that I'd love to have a Bugatti Veyron, and the budget to keep it running. :D

*55" works for us because our heads are about 9 feet from the set when we watch it.

SandAndGlass and mikeyt like this.
  12. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Yes. What I read said that the "missing" frames are interpolated in motion-smoothing processing. This sounds like what audio upsampling does, but I'm not the video pro.

13. violarules

violarules Senior Member

This article from Wired, I hope, does a good job of explaining Motion smoothing technology in new TV's, why it was needed, and what manufacturer does it best. Again, Vidiot, you are the pro, so you can tell me if any of this info is inaccurate. I'd be happy to hear it, but have you seen the smoothing on the newest Sony TVs? I was prepared to hate it, having seen other manufacturers, but it looks damned good and natural. No artifacts. My model, the Sony A8H, gets special mention in the article for doing motion smoothing well. As I said before, I did turn the smoothing down from the factory settings a notch or two, as did the author of the Wired article.

I Use Motion Smoothing on My TV—and Maybe You Should Too | WIRED

audiomixer likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There are always artifacts in an interpolation process. The artifacts with moving objects are the problem. Here are some more articles for you to read, and maybe you'll begin to understand:

Motion Smoothing Is Ruining Cinema

Motion Smoothing Is an Abomination - The Bulwark

Tom Cruise Explains Why HDTV 'Motion Smoothing' Is Terrible in PSA - Variety

TV Manufacturers Unite To Tackle the Scourge of Motion Smoothing - Slashdot

Hollywood Heavies Unite Against TV 'Motion-Smoothing' With 'Filmmaker Mode' Setting

I can give you ten more if these articles don't sink in.

SandAndGlass and apesfan like this.
  15. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Wow. Thanks for that.

The next thread you chime in about music, I'll be sure to give you a full musical theoretical analysis as to why your opinion and the thing you like stinks and is musically tasteless. Since I'm sure I know more about music than you and make my money and day job by it; since you like being so pedantic about your chosen field, we'll see how the shoe fits for you.

Brett44 likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Am I wrong?

17. audiomixer

I am getting my a80j this weekend. I've read nothing but glowing reviews for the motion smoothing on this generation of Sony OLEDs when it's used in a minimum mode, but not completely switched off.
    I will be experimenting with if over the next few weeks and will post my feelings on the use or non-use of this feature.

mikeyt likes this.
  18. audiomixer

See my post #42.
    And, no you aren't wrong at all. It just seems to be approached differently on these new OLEDS, that's all. Have you had a chance to view this set yet?

19. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Yes, I have mine turned on the lowest setting. The factory setting was too much, and without it didn't look great, either. The lowest setting was the best to my eyes.

mikeyt and audiomixer like this.
  20. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Looking forward to your notes!!

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes. Same issues.

There's a thing called "Choice-Supported Bias" (aka "Post-Purchase Rationalization") which basically says when you go out and buy something, you can't be objective as to whether or not it's any good. And you're going to reject any negative information about it, no matter how accurate it is, because you have a financial and emotional investment in it. I think that applies here.

Choice-supportive bias - Wikipedia

It happens a lot in the audio business, and if you go over to the audio hardware section, there's knock-down/drag-out fights about it. It's very, very hard to be objective about something you paid real cash for.

22. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

I have one as well, spectacular picture and sound

Darren Richardson likes this.
  23. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Saw one today at Costco ($1799) and it’s hard to judge the video quality in that kind of store. I’m happy at the moment with my TCL 65” that I bought at Costco in Feb 2020 for only $499 so I will stick with that for awhile but it’s good to see OLED’s are coming down in price.

Vidiot, audiomixer and Old Rusty like this.
  24. Ditto. Very happy with the TCL 65" as is everyone else in my home.

audiomixer likes this.
  25. audiomixer

I'm very happy you both enjoy your TCL's. But it's like comparing apples to oranges. The TCL is not OLED while the Sony is. The OLED's black level is hard to bet with an LED.

mikeyt likes this.