Elvis Presley: The Movies - Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bink, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Kissin' Cousins

Year of release: 1964
    Studio: MGM
    Director: General Nelson

Plot:
    Elvis takes in 2 roles - Air Force Lt. Josh Morgan and good ol' boy Jodie Tatum. Josh is ordered to negotiate with the Tatum family for military use of their Smokey Mountain homestead as a missile site.

Songs:
    Kissin' Cousins (theme)
    Smokey Mountain Boy
    There's Gold In The Mountains
    One Boy, Two Little Girls
    Catchin' On Fast
    Tender Feeling
    Barefoot Ballad
    Once Is Enough
    Kissin' Cousins (performance)

Trailer:

RSteven and Shawn like this.
  2. Let It Be was no great shakes either.

RSteven and sixtiesstereo like this.
  3. Can those three master codes be found on any of the WB Elvis titles from those years?

mBen989 likes this.
  4. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

As mediocre as some of the previous films were, this one sinks to a whole new low. Not even on a "so bad, it's good" level

Sebastian, croquetlawns and Bink like this.
  5. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Oh dear, I do remember this one. I guess we can say it's harmless fun, and gave Elvis the chance to stretch out a bit as an actor playing two different roles - did the Colonel double his fee?

I find the soundtrack a real mixed bag, with the songs either being decent (Tender Feeling is particularly good, and I like both theme songs) or pretty awful. I've always liked that Australian punk pioneers did a cover of Kissin' Cousins in 1977 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vtFqLVVxbQ

RSteven, Shawn and Bink like this.
  6. Bink

I have to agree - I felt all of the previous films had at least something that held my attention but this one was just....silly! And frankly I was bored.

7. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

You saying this scene with not only Yvonne Craig, but all of the other hot girls didn't hold your
    attention? Just sayin....

BeSteVenn, RSteven, Bink and 2 others like this.
  8. 2x the Elvis - what's not to love? And we get to see him with a more natural hair color. I do need to rewatch this one - it's been over 10 years (probably when the WB DVD came out in 2007) to give a fair critique. The budget on this one had to sink to new lows, right? It simply looks 'cheap'. Either that or they blew it all on the split-screen Josh/Jody special effect.

Gosh, I do like a lot of this soundtrack though. The title track, Catchin' On Fast and Once Is Enough in particular.

RSteven, Bink and croquetlawns like this.
  9. Bink

Lol, umm we probably don't bat for the same team! I would have been looking closer at Elvis and his army buddies!!!!

RSteven and croquetlawns like this.
  10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Who are apparently a drill team. With non-reg haircuts.

RSteven, Bink and Shawn like this.
  11. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

In the VCR days, I decided I wanted to collect all of his movies, and there were one of the first movies available in 1980. My roommate
    and I use to get trashed and watch them. There are some I liked better than others and it's a good connection to my childhood. Mom & Dad
    would load up the car and head to the drive-in, everytime a new Elvis movie came out.

12. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I believe so.

And obviously, you may need to test the DVDs across several players (DVDs, BluRay, PlayStation 3/4/5, Xbox 350/One/X-S, computer).

Shawn likes this.
  13. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I love the Elvis movies more than his music. Yes, I know I'm in the minority. I hunted them down on the cheap at Big Lots and in discounted box sets on Amazon. I think I'm short a movie or two so I did pretty good. I'll have to see what the one or two I still need.

14. Bink

Smokey Mountain Boy:

15. Hooperfan

Yep, this is when you wonder to yourself...
    How does one go from "Jailhouse Rock" to this??

16. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

:doh:

RSteven, Shawn and Bink like this.
  17. Hooperfan

The sad thing is "Smokey Mountain Boy" isn't even the worst song in the movie!

My opinion, of course

18. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Change Of Habit?

19. We’re going chronological by release date so that one will be near the end/the end if we don’t do the concert films.

RSteven, Bink and Saint Johnny like this.
  20. Colchester Clive

Colchester Clive Active Member

Like quite a few Elvis films, Kissin’ Cousins has the potential to have a great plot, but instead goes the other way towards silliness. As a result, this one is awful, with poor songs to boot. I’ve watched it once and can’t think why I’d watch it again.

Bink and Shawn like this.
  21. Bink

There's Gold In The Mountains:

RSteven likes this.
  22. Innocuous and catchy. Yes, he was deserving of better material but as a soundtrack song this is a decent one.

There’s an obvious edit at the 31 second mark, apparently to button up Yvonne’s shirt!

RSteven, PepiJean and Bink like this.
  23. Hooperfan

"Gold" is one of the better songs in the movie. At least there's a little bit of fire in his voice

24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Nancy Sinatra alert!

She'll be turning up on this thread soon enough but if you can't wait, TCM is showing her 1967 TV special Movin' With Nancy in about 3 hours from now.

RSteven, PhantomStranger and Shawn like this.
  25. Colchester Clive

Colchester Clive Active Member

A little aside from the chronology. I saw several of his films as I grew up as my dad is a big fan. My mum also gave me some of the soundtrack EPs she’d had since she was a teenager when I got my first record player - and I still have those EPs. I was quite pleased about 10 or 12 years ago when one of the National papers in the UK gave some of his movies away free on DVD with the newspaper (yes, the disc was in the paper). Some good ones were in there which I’d never seen before, such as Change of Habit, plus some classics like King Creole and Loving You. Then Di Agostini came out with a very good magazine chronicling Elvis’ life and career, which came out every fortnight, which included a DVD. Each and every film (except Elvis on Tour, for some reason), plus quite a few other documentaries were included. This is how I finally got to see all his films.