The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I don't disagree. The received wisdom in all the cases people have discussed was settled relatively early in those bands' careers. People still make jokes about Ringo's drumming (e.g. "the second-best drummer in the Beatles") but he was not only bloody good but he was the perfect drummer for that band. The same can be said of John Bonham and Bill Ward: their stereotype was "power" but those guys had incredible feel/touch as well (people don't think of Sabbath for jazzy drum fills but they are all over their early albums).

The Kinks became known for Ray's songs more than the playing. I would argue that Ray cast a shadow over the rest of the band so great that Mick and Dave didn't receive the recognition they were due. That false story about Jimmy Page doing the solo for YRGM turned lack of recognition into disrespect. On stage, Ray seemed happy to cultivate a garage band-type image - energetic but a little chaotic. I think that changed first with John Gosling, who was an excellent player and took pressure off the rest of the band live. That continued in the late seventies when they played bigger arenas. I watched Celluloid Heroes live 1979 yesterday - a polished and professional performance by all of them.

2. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

Simply a gorgeous tune. One of Ray’s prettiest and one of my favourites on this album. Love Dave’s backing vocals.

3. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Forum Resident

Listened to "This Time Tomorrow" and "A Long Way from Home" again while taking a shower this morning. They get better with repeated exposure. Or, rather, my appreciation of their quality increases--the songs remain as they were. :edthumbs:

4. joejo

joejo Well-Known Member

The way I understand it, he is simply talking to himself.

5. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

The truly ignorant don’t recognize just how ignorant they are.
    Example: The Dunning-Kruger effect

mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  6. seanw

seanw Forum Resident

That's my impression too. Not to take anything away from Mick's later-period drumming, it's just the songs Ray was writing at the time seemed to call for less-is-more from the rhythm section.

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Really good point. People were blinded by Ray's light .... well there's my corn for the day.

It's funny with Sabbath, Ward and Geezer, probably from Masters on, are about the funkiest metal band around. Their grooves were excellent....
    Back to being Kinky.

DISKOJOE likes this.
  8. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

A Long Way from Home: 9:30 am: Even though I have been listening to this album now pretty much nonstop for at least three or four weeks in preparation for these discussions, I suspect you all will agree that assimilating new music as adults, while you’re balancing the complexities of work, family, friends etc. is very different than the way (at least for me) I used to discover music in my teens and early 20s. Back then I had a lot less pressure on me and it was easy to really focus on the music. In this case, I am loving every song on this album, but I must admit that when I have taken the time to sit down and really try to listen to each song, some degree of fatigue sets in on my attention span, and as I’ve gotten towards the end of the album, for some reason, this song in particular has failed to really click with me. As noted above, it really is sandwiched between two powerful songs and maybe, for that reason alone, it hasn’t quite jumped out at me yet. I plan to go and listen to the song yet again, with the lyrics in front of me, as a standalone song and then report back.

6:30: Fine, I admit it, it’s yet another great song. Ray and the team can do no frickin’ wrong. One listen to it alone without the other songs and I realized, it was just overshadowed by the sheer brilliance of This Time Tomorrow and the adrenaline rush of Rats. Yet another beautiful ballad that somehow fits the tale and simultaneously gives us a peak in to the Ray / Dave dynamic. Great stuff! I love this album!

9. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

A Long Way from Home
    Gorgeous tune. Wow.
    Two things have stuck in my head in regards to this song and the Davies Bros. relationship
    1. I recall reading that Ray said this song was written about himself. I don't recall where, so maybe I'm misremembering. But if you look at the lyrics through that prism it's pretty interesting (though Dave definitely wore most of the 'funny clothes', Ray did his own thing too). But you also have to remember that Ray has a way of fibbing about where his inspirations come from. who knows, right?
    2. I also recall reading that the brothers feel like they need to watch out for each other. As for Ray, the older brother, it's reasonable to see that he's watching out for his wild brother. But Dave also felt the need to watch out for Ray who was/is sensitive and had some mental illness struggles. I love trying to dig into the inter-relational stuff. Not that I'll ever understand it entirely, but I like the exploration.
    So I can see this song in a few different ways and it's beautiful no matter which way you examine it.
    I just love how Dave's vocals interweave with Ray's on this one. It's very special.
    And as others have mentioned, Mick's drumming really shines through.
    credit to Mark and @donstemple for super write ups and everyone else's contributions. I read them all and enjoy them!

10. Wondergirl

apparently I hadn't read everyone's comments thoroughly, but you basically are saying what I had thought.
    Ray just wanted it all, but dragged along his massive insecurities with him. It really is incredible. He stands out as a special talent. Most folks like him would never have left the Village Green, yknow?

11. joejo

joejo Well-Known Member

Inspirations can come from anywhere, and then there is the song itself. I only ever thought he was talking to himself, I doubt I ever read anything to that effect.

12. Wondergirl

Is he talking to himself about his brother...or is the song a message to himself? Sorry if I'm not sure what you're trying to say (or if I wasn't clear).

13. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

I believe in the Ray solo clip posted above he refers to them as ´fancy’ clothes. Maybe another indication that this is Ray writing about himself?

14. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Another shout out for the underrated John Dalton’s bass work on this song. Very melodic a la McCartney. I will be calling him out on several songs as we move forward into the RCA era.

I also agree about the evolving drums approach over the course of the 70s and 80s. It’s a direct result of changes in tastes, technology, and most importantly in Ray’s writing which itself is direct result of those same things. We’ll get into more of this as we get move forward as it’s a gradual but noticeable change. Dave’s guitar approach and role changes too, but that’s yet another topic as we get into the 70s.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  15. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

You listened to them in the shower.... and then conclude they get better with exposure.

Makes sense.

16. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Forum Resident

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but Ray Davies named him "Flash" for a reason. :righton:

17. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Nice!

18. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

Nice? I say grounds for impeachment, or is that coffee?

mark winstanley likes this.
  19. mark winstanley

I prefer Impearment

DISKOJOE likes this.
  20. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Maybe, but the main riff is just a variation on "Louie Louie", isn't it?

21. joejo

joejo Well-Known Member

Who else but the KINKS could invent a reverse riff?

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  22. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

This better stop before we get to impalement.

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  23. mark winstanley

Come on now, don't talk dirty to me :)

DISKOJOE likes this.
  24. mark winstanley

Rats

stereo mix (2:38), recorded 20 Aug 1970 at Morgan Studios (1), Willesden, London

I was lost just wandering round downtown
    Many people pushing me around
    Hate spreads just like infection

Those rats jumping on and off my back
    Fat black rats holding me down
    I see rats in every direction

No time to catch your breath
    Crazy people lost their heads
    Masses trampling on my feet, inconsiderate in their heat

Those rats breeding angriness and spite
    Never have done anything right
    for people like you and me

Walk over all the people you can't see
    If they die there's more bread for me
    Like snakes crawling through the grass

No time to catch your breath
    Crazy people lost their heads

Never have done anything right
    for people like you and me

See that face man look at me, he's much too selfish to see
    Once he was warm and was kind
    Now all he has got is a pinstripe mind
    See that face man look at me, he's much too selfish to see
    Once he was warm and was kind
    Now all he has got is a pinstripe mind

Written by: Dave Davies
    Published by: Hill & Range Songs, Inc. – BMI

Well, here is another corker of a track.
    Dave delivers in spades here, with his second song on the album, and it is another great track.

We have Dave in hard rock mode here, and it is a very convincing track to my ears.
    We open with a totally cool little tape noise/effect, then launch into a great chordal riff that would have made the Sabbath boys happy.
    This is a scorcher, and again we have the guys all playing out of their skin. Dalton’s bass here, may be his best on the album.
    Mick is again mauling the drums and showing very clearly that he knows how to roll the rock drums.
    Dave is punching out those chords with venom, and the little overdub chord insert is excellent. We also get some really nice lead inserts that also add to the flavour.

Lyrically this track seems to be another look at the business side of music and the moneygoround, and this time there isn’t any quarter given, this is war.
    To some degree we are tied into the last track via the lines in the last chorus(?), specifically ‘Once he was warm and was kind”.

The overall picture here is people swarming all over each other to get ahead and damn the consequences.
    Hate spreads just like infection
    I see rats in every direction
    Like snakes crawling through the grass
    Dave sinks the boot, and he sinks it deep. We still have a slightly obtuse lyric, but much more direct than most of Dave’s earlier tracks. The lyrics say what they need to say, and not much more, but the real hook for me here is the music.

Musically we have a savage piece of rock music, and the guitar sets the tone from the get-go.
    We get this aggressive chunk rhythm, on what sounds like an open low E string, and then in an almost China Grove like riff with the open ringing E string we get a very cool rock chord riff, that punches and scrapes its way into the vocal section.
    Dave is singing at his lower pitch, and here that actually gives it a more authoritative feel. He sounds like he means it, and he delivers the goods.
    Mick smashes out some nice fills in the dynamic lift, and we get a sort of hesitation chord and the vocals come in, joined by the lead guitar.

I’m going to call the change up the chorus, but I’m not really sure we have a chorus here, technically. We get this descending chord pattern and a staccato vocal delivery, and it winds up with a back and forward chord sequence that wraps up the section nicely, and then we roll out of there with one of Mick’s longest drum fills that I can remember, and it is excellent.

Then at the end of what is like the second section of verses, we get this lovely held chord section. With the organ sitting burbling on that chord as everyone gets ready to dive back in. It has this ominous feel to it, and slowly swells back up into the assault.

This is a fantastic rock track, and it is so aggressive in its delivery and arrangement. Although the guys may have more crunchy guitar riffs and such, I’m not sure up to this point they have had a song that was quite this aggressive, and for an old school rock pig like me, that’s a wonderful thing.

This song is aggressive, dynamic, threatening, and full of enthusiasm and the whole band is just tearing it up, and it is very convincing.

Make sure you listen to that bass from Dalton. There are straight runs on some of the chord sequences, but there are some really excellent running lines, that add a nice melodic groove in the background.

We just aren’t getting any weak links here at all. I can easily say the famous run of albums flows from Kontroversy to Lola at least at this stage. I guess we’ll see when the first dip in consistent quality comes in.

25. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Rats"

I've mentioned before (and will most likely mention again tomorrow!) that someone in my family had the 7" of "Apeman" in the early 70s - thus it was the first Kinks song I ever heard. I'm pretty sure I would have turned the single over at some stage, so "Rats" would have been the second. However, it certainly wouldn't have made any impression on me at that stage (i.e. under 10 years old) - being just one of those B-sides that sounds nothing like the A-side.

Now, of course, it sounds like what it is - a blistering hard rocker. It starts with a fantastic guitar intro, and then we have a song which wouldn't sound out of place on one of Dave's solo albums a decade later - certainly the lyrical concerns of big bad faceless businessmen and politicians are very much on point for those albums.

Dave sounds great on vocals and guitar, Mick delivers some more powerhouse drumming, but the real star of this particular track is John Dalton - just listen to those bass runs! Really drives the track forward.