Sony- 65" Class BRAVIA XR A80J Series OLED 4K UHD Smart Google TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is very true. The best OLEDs are the first sets out there that actually could approach the great black levels of Plasma. New technology comes out all the time: some new mastering displays are dual-layer LED, and there are advantages of these over OLED, particularly for sheer brightness. Some can hit 4000-5000 nits for Dolby Vision, which is just about retina-searing levels. I'm happy with 1000-nit HDR and think beyond that gets pretty silly.

mikeyt and audiomixer like this.
  2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

:tsk:
    I’m in total agreement. I live in gray & cloudy Portland so it’s perfect for this OLED. :D

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We use window coverings and watch with very controlled lighting. And we try to use 6500° lighting when possible. It's not a pitch-black room, but it's a dark-ish room.

4. audiomixer

With winter approaching and the time change, we'll be in total darkness from 4:00pm until 8:00am. Lots of dark television watching time. :laugh:

Shawn likes this.
  5. In the winter I kind of miss my big ol' 50" plasma, as that sucker threw some nice heat.

SandAndGlass and audiomixer like this.
  6. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

Wow, who needs to go to the theater anymore, with these huge-screened TVs appearing lol.

mikeyt likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Night time is the right time.

That they did. But god help you on a summer day that hits over 100°.

SandAndGlass and audiomixer like this.
  8. audiomixer

All I can say is:
    WOW! WOW!! WOW!!!

9. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Yesss! How is that motion smoothing set on 1? ;)

10. audiomixer

Just dandy for me!

violarules likes this.
  11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

‘That’s great it’s blowing you away. I’m definitely getting an OLED one day.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's nitpicking, isn't it?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Just picked this up on Saturday. Picture Quality and color renditions are spectacular. But the blacks? Fuggeddahbowdit. Watched the Ravens game last night and I swear it looked like Jackson was in my bedroom running. Without question the best television I have ever owned. The price was insane! $1799 at Costco.
    Today I am going to purchase a 4k Blu-ray player, Sony's UBP-X700. Good reviews, plus I'll pick up a movie in 4K since I have none at the moment. "Apocalypse Now" or "300"?
    I already own both in Blu-ray. Want to experience it in 4 K.

Shawn, PH416156, violarules and 3 others like this.
  14. audiomixer

Congratulations!!!

Steve Baker likes this.
  15. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Ok, audiomixer, you’re an artist/tech guy. Please share your setting preferences (you don’t have to go into great detail). Do you use ARC/eARC? Do you have streaming devices (Apple TV 4K, Shield, Roku, Fire Stick), cable or satellite plugged into the HDMI inputs on the Sony? Or an AVR? Impressions?

16. Steve Baker

Thanks! FWIW I work in the print industry,(what's left of it ) and I was primarily a color correction expert. The color on this set out of the box is damn near perfect. The detail in 1080P is much better than my earlier set. The only adjustments I have made so far are in the sound menu ( dialog adjustments are a very nice feature), due to my hearing. I may fiddle around with the motion correction, but for now , color me VERY happy.
    So "300" it is. Wife would be more inclined to watch that instead of "Apocalypse Now". I have owned every rendition of Apocalypse since it was issued on home video, VHS, BETA, DVD, Laser Disc, Blu Ray, after reading reviews on the 4K release I am pretty curious to see the newest. IMO, the Blu-ray was okay, pretty close to the LaserDisc in picture quality.

Shawn and audiomixer like this.
  17. audiomixer

I choose the "Custom" Setting and tweeted it from there. I used "Keep It Classy" YouTube settings as a base and still fine tuned it from there.

I have a 2008 Integra preamp that does not support eARC. I just run an optical cable form the Sony into the preamp. Optical has its limitations such as no DD+, Atmos, etc. but I'm fine with that. DD 5.1 suits me just fine for cable TV and the apps. I now use the internal apps on Google TV & they work great!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Shawn, Alan G. and mikeyt like this.
  18. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

You might want to consider paying a bit more and going for the X800 M2 over the 700. Much better build quality and from what I've read less prone to problems than the 700.

19. violarules

violarules Senior Member

As a video professional, how do you find the MotionFlow setting? The factory setting of 3 was too high for my Sony OLED, but with MotionFlow off didn't look right either. I found the 1 setting to be a good compromise.

20. Steve Baker

I have not touched it yet. Maybe this coming weekend.

JimW.....thanks but too late.

JimW and audiomixer like this.
  21. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Picked up a Sonos Beam (Gen. 2) sound bar and hooked it up to the eARC hdmi input. Loving it for dialogue. Haven’t tested any Dolby Atmos soundtracks yet.

If you use an AppleTV 4K, set the format to 4K SDR, and then turn on ‘Match Dynamic Range’ and ‘Match Frame Rate’. The only apps I use that do not automatically switch to HDR or Dolby Vision when appropriate are YouTube and anything I send to the set through AirPlay. For those, if you want HDR using the AppleTV, you have to manually set that format in the AppleTV first. OR, for YouTube at least, you could use the app built in to the TV.

22. Steve Baker

Well I checked out "300" last night. PQ was the best I have seen, with the exception of the theater. However, dialog was hard to hear, even with the adjustments I made to the A80. Am I missing something? Regular broadcast(cable) through the set is fine. But the video playback I had to turn up the volume considerably to hear dialog. Of course when there was a low frequency effect THAT was very loud. Is there a setting on the television that will help?
    FWIW I am not getting a soundbar or receiver, I just want the television and the 4K Blu-ray Player. Any suggestions?

23. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

There is a “dialogue” setting under the sound settings. Assume you tried that. I’m guessing it pumps up higher frequencies a bit.

Steve Baker likes this.
  24. Steve Baker

Yes I have that set up. Like I said it sounds great when I am using the television. But it is really hard to hear when using the Blu-ray Player.

25. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Steve, do you have DRC enabled on the blu ray player?

On a side note, not really a fan of speakers/audio quality in new TVs, but I admit I haven't heard one in a some time and have had hearing problems for a while.

By the way, always hooked VCR/DVD/BD players to an external amp and speakers, surround or simple 2.1 for friends that weren't into multichannel.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021