All things Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hEARt PhoniX, Nov 4, 2020.

1. I was listening to some TD last night and have realized that I like albums Ricochet through Force Majeure far more than the rest of the catalog I have sampled. This is probably because of my fondest for progressive rock. Force Majeure is my favorite -I just love every minute.

Stephen Palmer and Slim Zooms like this.
  2. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Great!
    I will check these out!
    Dear me, so much music, so little time…….:shake:

:biglaugh:

3. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory Thread Starter

Does make sence, as far as I am concerned. I am more into drones and ambient than prog, which may be why Force De Majeure left me underwhelmed and bored for many years. Until ... it suddenly clicked and I was so utterly struck by it's awesomeness I just could not think anything else for a while. "Excuse while I kiss these endorphines while having yet another major Tangerine Dreamgasm."

Stephen Palmer and Pete Puma like this.
  4. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

Repeat Repeat has straight up vocals, so take that as you will.

That said, I need to get Romance 76 and Trans Harmonic Nights. I've heard them on youtube and liked them.

Regards,
    Dave

Slim Zooms likes this.
  5. Deibu

I agree that Coma Virus is an excellent piece of dark ambient. I don't listen to it very often, but when I'm in the right mood, it's up there.

Regards,
    Dave

Jaar21 and Slim Zooms like this.
  6. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@Slim Zooms
    RE: Baumann

Vast topic! (a pleasure to respond- will make it short). My 1st reaction would be how did you manage this?? how can this be possible?!!

TD’s stylistic run in the mid 70’s is still in my mind as follows… Phaedra>>>Rubycon>>>Epsilon In Malaysian Pale>>>Macula Transfer>>>Sorcerer>>>Romance 76>>>Stratosfear>>>Trans Harmonic Nights. I do not think their solo careers can be dissociated from TD’s albums if we are to understand that creative rivalry I was referring to in a previous message between Baumann and Froese which ignited sparks (!) and made the band so unique in the 70’s

I would now slightly differ from @hEARtPhoniX as far as Baumann’s solo career is concerned… I would obviously highly recommend Romance 76 and Trans Harmonic Nights but then I would tread very carefully until his come-back in 2014. Let’s not forget that he was only 24 (if I am right) when he retired from TD (unbelievable), and towards the end of the 70’s it was getting clearer and clearer that he had this tacit dream of making it as a pop star! People tend to forget this now but after Stratosfear the next album even if Baumann had stayed was to have songs and it was mentioned at some stage that Baumann would be the singer (@24db might have a couple of interviews up his sleeve about this?).

To new comers and this is IMHO obviously, I would recommend Romance 76 **** Trans Harmonic Nights **** Machines Of Desire ***(*) Neuland ****

As for Repeat Repeat * and there are fans out there but I am not really one of them, it is in the “cold wave” style of the time (!)- ie John Foxx (but inferior in my opinion in spite of Robert Palmer’s prod.) and Gary Numan… and last before the long 32 yr break Strangers In The Night. I personally find the Leda album in 78 Welcome to Joyland, a great deal more fun in its Giorgio Moroder style but obviously a curio for Baumann’s fans!! (I must admit that I have the vinyl version…I know... but it is Baumann and I can almost forgive him anything!!)

PS: Do not forget either his remarkable career as a producer- what an incredible series of albums! and they all sound incredibly Baumann-like. The world of electronic music can be terribly blend but definitely not when Baumann is involved. His somewhat mercurial disposition was rather misleading, giving a false impression of dilettantism. I believe that he was incredibly hard-working (dixit Roedelius who claimed that he worked so hard on the production of his album/s that he got sick with tonsillitis!) and as I said before maybe not a great instrumentalist like Schmoelling and Haslinger but a brilliant artist and musician nonetheless in the vein of a Brian Eno. The Baumann touch is easily identifiable too.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    surfling, ciderglider and fRa like this.
  7. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Thanks for this!
    I think the reason I haven’t heard the PB solo albums is I haven’t investigated further because I wasn’t too impressed following a few excerpts from Repeat Repeat I think it was, way back when.
    On the plus side, just listened to Romance 76 on Spotify. Sounds good :righton:.
    It’s on the purchase list :D

fRa likes this.
  8. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

... yes maybe, but you will never listen to your TD 70's albums the same way ever again!

Slim Zooms likes this.
  9. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

:D :righton:

10. Stephen Palmer

Stephen Palmer Dreamer of Tangerines

The Isness Of Bands
    I wrote a blog a while back called The Isness Of Bands. May be of interest...

11. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

...and with all due respect Stephen :shake::o:shake::o:shake::o:shake: !!! I offered a very personal response to this a couple of pages back (p40) if ever.... No harm done though but I could not disagree more, Froese decided to turn TD into a conceptual entity before changing cosmic address which I personally feel is great! As I said previously it is a great ultimate artistic gesture and this should be respected. Let's hope that this debate will not go on for another 100 years! (ie Baumann's intelligent and priceless statement). Kind regards...

DJ LX likes this.
  12. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

The suggest that people who disagree with Baumann might be unintelligent is not a way to win people over.

13. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

:D

That is true. These solo albums from Froese and Baumann all contains some snippets easily recognizable that ended up on TD albums (Ricochet, Stratosfear, Encore and Sorcerer.

Jaar21 and Slim Zooms like this.
  14. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@markkreed
    I am DEFINITELY NOT suggesting that!! Did not cross my mind for a sec. I am just saying that his take on the subject is intelligent (and witty). And I am not trying to win anyone over either because I do not think the subject is all that interesting; the only thing which matters to me is the quality of the music I listen to, whatever label you put on it. Tangerine Dream is not a bad one though, I wonder whose idea it was ?:rolleyes:

15. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Oh yes I’ve spotted quite a few of those over the years. TD have a habit of turning you into a forensic scientist :D

Norco74 likes this.
  16. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Glad to hear that.

17. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

It is all good fun to try to either spot the instruments or the players through their stylistic tropes. I recently realised how much Baumann's electric piano punctuations changed the dynamics of Franke's sequence on Rubycon part 1- it struck me when I played the Particles version which I very much like but the drive had lost something and this is what it was...Baumann's playing with space and volume within the sequence. Each metallic droplet reignites each and every single time the dynamics of Franke's sequence. Quite unbelievable.

Deibu and Norco74 like this.
  18. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

You'd spot snippets even on the dodgy Welcome to Joyland !!

Endless Race - YouTube

Well known snippet at 1.41 if you dare...

(I put 3 tracks on previous page.)

19. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Playing this now:

[​IMG]

Wonderful :D

Jaar21, Deibu and Stephen Palmer like this.
  20. Deibu

I just listened to it this past Saturday night. Not my favorite, but still good!

Regards,
    Dave

Slim Zooms likes this.
  21. Deibu

I have to admit that the version of "Rubycon part 1" on Particles rubs me a bit wrong. The original was composed from improv sessions, which isn't coverable. The best you can do is imitate it, which is exactly what this version is - an imitation. :shake:

Regards,
    Dave

22. Deibu

Since there's been some chat about the solo work of some TD alumni, I thought it'd be good to ask -- what are your 5 favorite solo albums?

Here's mine (in order starting with #1):
    Edgar Froese Stuntman
    Edgar Froese Pinnacles
    Christopher Franke Pacific Coast Highway
    Johannes Schmoelling White Out
    Paul Haslinger World Without Rules

Regards,
    Dave

DJ LX likes this.
  23. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Froese - Aqua
    Froese - Epsilon in Malaysian pale
    Froese - Macula Transfer
    Baumann - Romance 76
    Baumann - Trans Harmonic nights

DJ LX likes this.
  24. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

... can't limit myself to 5 so 10, sorry ... (!)

Top 10

1 Baumann Romance 76

2 Baumann Haslinger Neuland

3 Frick Quaeschning The Seaside Stage Session

4 Frick Second Yard Botanicals

5 Froese Epsilon In Malaysian Pale

6 Schmoelling White Out

7 Baumann Trans Harmonic Nights

8 Haslinger Exit Ghost 1/2

9 Schmoelling Lieder ohne Worte

10 Froese Kamikaze 89 or Aqua

[NB: list without Schulze and Schnitzler- would have to be a top 20]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  25. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory Thread Starter

A while back we mentioned Faust.
    This is the first time since the 80s that JPC has let me down, inspite of ordering I did not receive a copy.