Which of the newly released/upcoming Criterion movies are you going to purchase?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jspmike, Oct 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Every so often Criterion does a 50% off flash sale and Barnes & Noble usually has a 50% off sale in November. With that in mind I'm wondering what everybody is going to get in the next big sale? Need some inspiration for my next purchases! I have a 4K player but I'm undecided as to whether I should continue getting Blu-Rays to maintain consistency in my collection or whether I should start getting the 4K's? I could only list 25 options so please feel free to write any other Criterion movies that you are going to be hunting down.

2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

If you already have the 4k player, then Red Shoes is a must. The blu ray looks fantastic but I almost would buy a 4k player just for that one. And grab the 4k of kane while I’m at it!

That said I think I’m done buying physical criterions and moving to the channel. I just don’t dust off my blu rays much anymore. Easier to just stream everything and I like having so much available at the drop of a hat. For the price of 5 blu ray I get a years access to a ton of titles.

For recent titles, I’d I was still buying blu’s, im a noir guy so I’d get Pickup on South Street and Nightmare Alley

DorothyV, Jspmike and jwoverho like this.
  3. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I saw no reason to buy a 4K disc player despite having a 4K tv with Dolby Vision. There were only 2-3 titles I wanted to watch. When Criterion announced that they were getting into 4K discs, I bought a nice Panasonic player. My first discs were Rear Window, Vertigo, and Bridge on the River Kwai. The Panasonic does a nice job with HDR, and double the resolution vs. Blu-ray looks great!

Bring on the Criterion discs!

Jspmike and guidedbyvoices like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Incredible Shrinking Man (Blu-Ray)

Jspmike likes this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

High Sierra w/Humphrey Bogart.

Last few B&N sales, Amazon matches their half-price deals, which is a better deal for me.

Jimmy B. and Jspmike like this.
  6. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Citizen Kane 4K for me. I’ve never owned it on Blu-Ray and I’m a Welles collector.

Jspmike and GregM like this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I wonder how having the dual platform of offering a streaming service, influences their choices of titles to pursue. Does it have any affect at all on what they want to offer.

8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

If you haven’t heard ebert’s commentary, that’s almost worth the price of admission.

Jspmike likes this.
  9. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

The Melvin Van Peebles collection is a must-have for me

Jspmike likes this.
  10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Same here. I never owned it on DVD, either. May be showing my age, but I OD'ed on it with VHS and never felt like watching it again until now. Good timing with Criterion giving it the royal treatment. Third Man Criterion was one of the few blu-rays I bought in 2008.

Jspmike likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

After Life (Blu-Ray)

Jspmike likes this.
  12. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Just picked up Visconti's THE DAMNED and a year of The Criterion Channel. I'm starting to see the economic sense for me to go the streaming route for many Criterion titles.

Jspmike likes this.
  13. Jspmike

Thanks for everybody's responses so far! I think you may have sold me on the 4K versions of "The Red Shoes" and "Citizen Kane" rather than just the Blu-Ray.

14. Jspmike

I believe that the next Criterion sale at Barnes & Noble is going to start on October 29th. They're also going to have a 50% off Arrow movie sale starting October 25th.

15. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

16. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I am most excited for The Piano. It being in 4K is even better! I will pick up the 4K of A Hard Days Night since I still haven’t upgraded my DVD of that title. Ratcatcher is another title I still haven’t picked up.

Jspmike likes this.
  17. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

24 Hour 50% Off Flash Sale!

18. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Love those flash sales. I think it's in stock only though.

19. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

High Sierra
    Incredible Shrinking Man
    House
    Ministry of Fear

2 new releases and 2 catalog. Thought about the Red Shoes 4k but as much as I love Powell Pressburger, that one just isn't my cup of tea.

Is anyone going for the Citizen Kane 4K? I have the most recent Blu and it's very good. I'd have to really be convinced that it's worth the upgrade I think.

20. Myke

That Flash sale would cost me an additional $9.00 for ONE title ? Oh Hell no. That's how Amazon comes out on top sometimes. I'll wait for their matched price.

21. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Why? Shipping? Think you have to spend over $50 to get free shipping.

22. Myke

Shipping is $6.95 for one title, sales tax would be the same at both retailers of course, plus I get another 5% off my Amazon purchases.

23. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Citizen Kane 4K
    Mulholland Dr 4K

24. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Watched the 4K of Citizen Kane last night and it is fantastic. Almost like seeing it for the first time. Highly recommended if still on sale.

Jspmike likes this.
  25. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I presume by now that everyone is aware that BluRay 1 of the Citizen Kane package has a defect and Criterion has instituted a return/replace protocol. If you haven't, and you have the set or are expecting it, here are the instructions. How to Get Your Citizen Kane Blu⁠-⁠ray Disc 1 Replaced

Jspmike likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.