'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

There are just so many brilliant Tone Poets, and there’s a risk that some undeservedly gets lost among all the new jazz releases.

I don’t think Wayne Shorter - Et Cetera, one of my first, have been played more than once. Just gave it a second spin now, and it’s a really interesting and super quality date imo. Should get spun more often.

2. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Played my Konitz/Mulligan TP first time this evening and I'm so glad i got it ....it does have that 'big band' feel athough it isn't of course ...this was follwed by Jazz Sur Sein (Sam Records... wrong thread i know all..but indulge me) ...and that's another one that does it for me.....my lady friend even said that's cool ...i must say i'm really impressed by Sam Records, every one get is stella

So happy days for me today ... sadly i've an aunts funeral to go to on tuesday..the next to last standing of my parents generation ....this lady was a big Sinatra fan and saw him twice at the Albert Hall (Lnd) ...its an overnight stop before coming back weds eve ...so i may not post on here for a few days

3. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

And hopefully soooooon Chet Baker Sings ...

4. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Interesting. I was sorely disappointed with my copy's bouts of non-fill and somewhat dullish sound. I did think the presentation was very nice though. That Pollock painting is a sight to behold. But I need to listen to it again. "Week-end with the family" music Free Jazz is not !

5. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

So sorry for the loss of your Aunt. How precious those memories of Frank Sinatra at the Albert Hall must have been for her - and you, too. My own Dad used to recall seeing Frank with Tommy Dorsey in NY during college, circa 1940. Best wishes and thanks for sharing the memory.

miq2son and Swann36 like this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I checked out Fremer's review of Katanga! this morning and read some of the comments as well. With that said, it put me in the mood to pull it out later for another listen. So many now that I have no idea how many times this monster has graced my TT.

Well many of us here have been raving about this "beast" since it was released and the anticipation leading up to it as well. We simply have a deep passion for the music we enjoy here.

@Swann36 so sorry to hear of your loss. Your Aunt certainly had good taste being a Sinatra fan. To have seen Frank at the Royal Hall, now that is priceless! And twice, wow!

7. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

Mine was mercifully free of non-fill. The copy of Herbie's "Crossings" I received in the same order looks like someone dragged a screwdriver all across one side, though. Crazy bad QC.

As for the sound of Free Jazz, I agree it's a bit dull but based on my OG mono I think that might just be inherent to the recording. Definitely one that rewards cranking the volume and listening on headphones IMO.

trd likes this.
  8. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Listened to The All Seeing Eye and this weekend and it moves up to the top of my favorite Tone Poet list, girlfriend enjoyed it as well.

9. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

I believe I have an extra 2-lp set from the original release if you would like it. I still owe you that RCA Bible book that I need to get printed up and sent out. Just let me know.

10. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Bought the Eric Dolphy Out to Lunch yesterday and it sounds great.

IanL, mktracy, trd and 1 other person like this.
  11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Just ordered the Tone Poets of One Step Up and Passing Ships from an online vendor. Between this series and the Blue Note Classics, this era of jazz is taking up the lion’s share of my listening time these days.

I have a lot of the key Music Matters titles I bought when they were new, but the Tone Poets and Classics have really allowed me to fill in some gaps in my jazz collection.

12. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Thank you for offering, but it's unnecessary. I can stream the entire 24/192 set on Qobuz. That suits me well enough. :)

13. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

You nailed it!

trd likes this.
  14. Josquin des Prez

FWIW: I have all the MMJ 45s and many 33s, and all the Tone Poets are every bit as good, in every way. That makes them them a better value, IMO, since they cost so much less.

15. Josquin des Prez

What's interesting is my wife kinda wants to get it for our collection. She's a big Lee Morgan fan.

Aeryn Sun and trd like this.
  16. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Well said. The Tone Poet Series really is a continuation of MMJ. The Quality is the exact same to my ears (at least when comparing with MMJ 33rpm) and many of the titles are every bit as good as what it is in the MMJ series.

miq2son, Korato69, mktracy and 4 others like this.
  17. Blurry

Blurry Forum Resident

The latest two latest releases are currently discounted thru Music Magpie on eBay UK.

The All Seeing Eye can be had for £26.61 delivered
    Wayne Shorter : The All Seeing Eye VINYL 12" Album (2021) ***NEW*** Great Value 602435149639 | eBay

Lee Konitz can be had for £28.18 delivered
    Lee Konitz & The Gerry Mulligan Quartet : Lee Konitz Plays With the Gerry 602435268194 | eBay

The code is FALL20.

Other TP titles I spotted from the same seller were The Witch Doctor, Katanga, Expansions (all £26.61) and Passing Ships (£39.56).
    There may be more.

It might be an opportunity for some on this side of the pond to fill a few gaps and save a few pennies.

18. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

Mingus at Carnegie Hall -> Dannie Richmond :bigeek:

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  19. Josquin des Prez

I’ve started the survey of my MMJ 45 collection to see what I might start selling next year. I am mostly playing things I know I like so far, so not much has made it into the Sell/Maybe Sell lists yet. About 10%. If I don’t get to 25-30% I probably won’t bother breaking up the collection at all.

Currently going through the Joe Henderson titles. Those are all great. “El Barrio” from Inner Urge is quite the gem I forgot about. Has a really cool Morrish modal vibe, but sorta reminiscent of Coltrane’s “India.” Elvin Jones on drums helps with that connection.

IanL, Dignan2000, mikemoon and 11 others like this.
  20. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

I have all the Music Matters Joe Henderson albums and would never part with any of them.

Methinks you would be sorry if you let any of them go. Maybe not right away, but eventually.

He is probably my favourite Blue Note artist. Not just for his own records, but also for his stellar work as a sideman on many other people’s albums.

mktracy, Kimiimacman, Morbius and 7 others like this.
  21. Josquin des Prez

I didn’t say I was going to sell any Joe Henderson. The chances of getting rid of any of his titles are slim to none. Ditto for Hancock and Shorter.

I can envision getting rid of some Art Blakey (I have way more Blakey than I ever listen to), as well as some Grant Green, Lee Morgan and Hank Mobley titles. There are other artists where I could be happy keeping a part of what I have. It’s all great stuff, but I could narrow down that collection to favorites. I have lots of classical I could get rid of too, but most isn’t worth the effort to list/sell/ship.

But nothing goes on the auction block until I complete my survey of them all.

mktracy likes this.
  22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The Music Matters titles would have to go north of $750 a title for me to think about selling my copies.

GreatTone likes this.
  23. Josquin des Prez

I retire next year so I can get to the point I’m ready to start unloading records I never play. I can use the money for other fun stuff I will make good use of (like cycling).

Swann36, mktracy, magnet and 7 others like this.
  24. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Thanks a lot @Blurry , great price for All Seeing Eye! Time to see what all the fuss is about :D

Blurry likes this.
  25. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

This seems like a smart process, I would do similar if I was going to sell. I don't like making these types of decisions without thinking about it from every aspect and perspective.

The hardest part would be if you have every title, breaking it up period. I'm not really a completists but I'm sure that mindset would set in.

You are probably going to pull about 19% to sell. LOL.

In the end, you will either make some extra money and/or enjoy rediscovering some gems in the process.

It's always good to have more than one hobby/passion. It makes us a bit less obsessive about one singular thing. Good luck!