When does a ‘new’ band member become a ‘real’ band member?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ricky Lampoon, Oct 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

To make your point ever greater: Wood has been in the Stones longer than Wyman, Jones and Taylor combined!

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Any album cover that features the band includes Ronnie, starting with Black and Blue. The single exception I can think of is Tattoo You which features Mick one side and Keith the other.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I think it depends on the agreements within the band. If you look at Rock Hall inductees this is certainly the case. Take for example Nine Inch Nail. There have only been 2 actual members and Atticus Ross is a fairly new addition. But 5 other touring member where inducted along with Ross and Reznor. But Reznor has always thought of NiN as more a recording project and there is a touring band.

4. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Never for me unless I grew up with the replacement Like Dave Gilmore before I got into Piper.I can’t help thinking somebody is still the new guy even if he’s in the band twice as long as the original member Jason Newsted was in Metallica longer than Cliff but Trujillo was in even longer than both?Strange and doesn’t make sense but that’s how I look at it.

5. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident Thread Starter

I obviously need to pay attention more. The latest Stones album that I own is Exile on Main Street.

The Stones are a strange band regarding ‘official’ band members - they don’t even seem to have found a bass player since Bill left.

Ronnie is an ‘official’ band member (I guess) because of his amiable personality and his ability to keep up with Keef’s drug habits, back in the day….

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Not sure why you're mentioning songwriting? Nick Mason didn't exactly make
    huge contributions to songwriting, but nobody disputes that he's always been a member of PF. Everybody knew that Carin and Pratt were there to play additional keyboards + bass on the later Floyd/solo Gilmour albums and live shows.

ARK likes this.
  7. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

When the contract says so…

CaptainFeedback1 and ARK like this.
  8. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

If you are the new keyboard player for the Grateful Dead, to get beyond being the new guy, you have to die.

ARK, Sean, speedracer and 2 others like this.
  9. Ricky Lampoon

Nick Mason is obviously an official Pink Floyd member as he was part of the first line-up.

I mention ‘songwriting’ as a possible criteria for a new band member to become an official band member (either legally or in the fans’ eyes).

HitAndRun likes this.
  10. CRJ

CRJ Ski Patrol

I think of Ron Wood as a Stone. My fave era of the group is the Mick Taylor years, but just for the riff in Hey Negrita, Ronnie's a Stone.

Tom Wabe, stef1205 and JuanTCB like this.
  11. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Timothy B. Schmitt contributed songwriting (his first was a very big hit), vocals and bass. Musically, he's recognized as a "member" of the Eagles, like Joe Walsh, but they're technically still hired hands from the partnership perspective. With the business considerations, it's too complicated and differs according to individual circumstances.

Pete Townshend offered Kenney Jones full membership in The Who, apparently to Roger Daltrey's consternation.

carrick doone and ARK like this.
  12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I think really it is a case of being a perfect foil for Keith to play with, particularly live.
    Mick Taylor is generally seen to be the obviously better player than both I guess, but I think Keith and Ron have a certain chemistry that Keith and Mick didn't quite.... Now don't get me wrong I love the Stones albums with Mick Taylor, but the guitarists are sort of separate entities. Watching Keith and Ron live, and listening on record, they have this way of weaving in and out together that is quite remarkable..... but each to their own. I'm certainly not telling anyone what to like.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

he never felt like a BB to me, but that's justme. : )

14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

15. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

Buckingham and Nicks in 1975, when taking what was left of Fleetwood Mac mainstream after about a decade of Fleetwood Mac being mostly underappreciated while trudging along with a different genre.

[​IMG] 1975 Fleetwood Mac

Folknik likes this.
  16. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

When they record an entire album's worth of bass tracks, and the rest of the band mixes them out of the record?

17. hangwire13

hangwire13 Forum Resident

I never cared enough to give it much thought, but since ya asked....to me they become a real member after at least 1 album and concert tour. I'm sure some agents and lawyers out there have different ideas though.

18. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Not necessarily. Walsh and Schmitt are, to the public, full Eagles, but they don't have a financial stake.

On the other hand, as far as I know, Bun E. Carlos still has a financial stake in Cheap Trick despite no longer being a playing member.

carrick doone and ARK like this.
  19. trusso

trusso Forum Resident

If the band is Kiss, the answer is never

20. hangwire13

hangwire13 Forum Resident

When discussing The Stones, what about Ian Stewart? Kicked out of the band by management for not being a "good fit", but hung around as a "session player" for albums and a "sideman" at live shows until the day he died. Doesn't that make him a member of the Stones in everything but name?

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

When David Clayton-Thomas stops coming back...again...:rolleyes:

22. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Yes -- a de facto Rolling Stone.

23. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Well it depends on the band and the context. What are the qualifications of a “real” member? Do they have to be full profit partners in the band or are members hired on contract also considered? One generalized rule of thumb, if you don’t get a cut of the T-shirt money, you are playing with the band. If you get that T-shirt money you are in the band.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, they found a bass player. They just didn't make him an official member.

Jones has been with the Stones almost as long as Wyman was!

Ricky Lampoon likes this.
  25. Ricky Lampoon

I was being a bit sarcastic. The Stones are obviously happy with Darryl Jones as a bass player, so why isn’t he an official member of the band?

Jonny W and Jmac1979 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.