Amazon UK packaging

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Alan2, Oct 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are a number of threads about this but I thought I may as well start a new one, if that's okay with the gorts.

I can't work it out. I get a few LPs in stiff mailers, which are also inside overlarge boxes. Fine. Then I start getting g LPs in totally unsuitable packaging- overly small boxes which damage the sleeves, or paper bags/envelopes or polythene bags, neither of which give the LP a chance.

I've only once been told by amazon I make a lot of returns, and that was some time ago. But I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth ordering vinyl from amazon at all.

Why don't they stick to one method of packing? Does it depend on who is at work on the day?

2. drsmuts

drsmuts Forum Resident

I purchased the Rolling Stones unzipped book the other day and it arrived in a flimsy paper bag. Luckily the book was relatively unscathed but I did complain and got 20% off.

Alan2 likes this.
  3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Considering how much Amazon must lose in returns due to poor packaging I can only assume that the current situation is at least partly down to the worldwide shortage of card, obviously word has come down to reduce packaging, unfortunately nobody has the good sense to ensure that records still have an adequate level of protection, their algorithms aren't working as they haven't spotted the issue. So far this year Amazon have missed out on a few hundred pounds from me, not just in returns where because they then send the replacement the same way I don't end up with a copy from them, but also as I increasingly choose other sellers with more reliable packaging, unless the price is much cheaper via Amazon.

One also really questions the level of staff training when label are stuck straight on LPs and the person doing so considers that sufficient and expects an obviously fragile record sleeve to survive the delivery journey intact.

Alan2 likes this.
  4. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I started a thread about this the other day which got moved to the Marketplace forum (as this one probably will), as I bought the deluxe set of Mansun's Six from Amazon, and they stuck the label straight on the shrink wrap. Not surprisingly, it arrived badly damaged. But I can't return it for replacement, as it's no longer in stock, and I don't want a refund as it was massively reduced.

I have absolutely no doubt that they've worked out that the profit from using no packaging outweighs the cost of the odd damaged item. They know exactly what they're doing.

5. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I would still ask for a refund regardless of the initial cost, as that just isn't on. If it was a smaller company things might be different, but it's Bezos

Alan2 and Phil Tate like this.
  6. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I think it depends on what packaging material is available at the time. No kidding, I once received a ps4 game in packaging that would have easily contained an ironing board! I'm glad I was in at the time otherwise it probably wouldn't have been delivered.
    Also, I wonder if because Amazon is such a big company they just stand the returns or use the percentage refund option with a 'see what happens' type of packaging process rather than a considered applied science?

Alan2 likes this.
  7. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I’m not a fan of the mailing methods used by a.co.uk.

As well, I’m not a fan of the methods used by too many companies in the way they package their product for purchase by customers in the first place; they might as well use cutdown cereal boxes.

Alan2 likes this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If they do think that then we'd see all media sent out without additional packaging, I don't think we will as the return rate would go through the roof and they would be losing a lot more than they'd save, I'm sure that Amazon pays pennies for it's cartons and boxes.

Alan2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.