David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

Speaking of Life on Mars? I believe Bowie reached his zenit vocal-wise during the Tonight Show performance in 1980.

maui jim, Runicen, Jmetamatic and 6 others like this.
  2. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Yes, when the theater is empty you can still hear the Mars echo, just like the big bang.

3. Oogie

Oogie Forum Resident

I guess Mike garson will be along soon.
    He must be the longest serving bowie musician.
    Involved with more albums and tours than slick even, starting in 1972.

scenescof likes this.
  4. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I was thinking Garson is probably coming up too. And the fact that we know Emm Gryner got a preview copy also makes me think we'll hear from her.

scenescof and croquetlawns like this.
  5. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

Carlos Alomar (tours and albums)

6. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

This makes me hope we’ll eventually get a stand-alone 2LP of “Toy”.

7. OneLife

OneLife There’s Bowie, & then everybody else

Well after much deliberation I’ve cancelled the Bowie vinyl box set. I’m not paying that sort of price for completist sakes. I can afford it but that’s not the point.
    I’ve everything that’s included aside from the finished ‘Toy’ and a couple of tracks on the Re:Call discs.
    I’ve vinyl copies of everything apart from BoS and BTWN and if I really want them (I’ve got a few variations of each on cd) on vinyl I’ll buy them individually, though I doubt I will. I’ll buy the 3xCD Toy for £25 and won’t feel ripped off.
    If they drop it to under £300 I’ll perhaps consider it then.

I felt annoyed with the BLA farce and although I got a full set on both vinyl & cd would not go through that again. I really thought (naively) that this box set would be set at a reasonable price, £365 isn’t in my book, I was expecting £260-£280! Unless there’s something utterly new and unmissable in the next one, I’ll miss that too.

Being a HUGE Bowie fan since 1974 I never thought I’d pull out of the Bowie era box sets but there you go!

8. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

I'm with you

Toy 3cd box preordered and looking forward to enjoying it greatly.

scenescof, bluearmy78 and Cat People like this.
  9. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Sorry if this has already been answered in this thread, but I’m wondering if there is any difference in content between the LP set and the CD set, as there has been on previous box sets in this series. There doesn’t seem to be, judging by a preliminary track count, but can anyone verify?

10. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Box sets have always had the same material, but of course with vinyl you get it spread over more discs, you get etched sides as a bonus and with the cd set the booklet has more pages because of photo vs text layout with the tiny format.

scenescof, soundQman and croquetlawns like this.
  11. Fabrice Outside

so where are Afraid and Uncle Floyd ? looks like they're nowhere to be seen on the 3cd set

Weren't they on Toy when the album was finished and ready to go ? strange...is there a rational explanation yet in some official blurb ?
    Surely DB only decided to rework them for Heathen once Toy was shelved, unless he had already two projects in mind :confused:

scenescof and croquetlawns like this.
  12. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

There doesn't appear to be an explanation why they are missing and you are right that they were planned to be on the original release of Toy, which suggests that the producers have come up with a new tracklist for this release. I suspect Afraid and Uncle Floyd will be on the Recall disc for the next era box as 'original versions'.

What I find odd is that Liza Jane and In The Heat of the Morning have been consigned to the 'Alternative Mixes' disc.

13. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Yep, with so much repetition on the 3 disc set you would have thought they would find space for those two tracks.

14. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Someone should ask MP.

croquetlawns likes this.
  15. Fabrice Outside

[QUOTE="

What I find odd is that Liza Jane and In The Heat of the Morning have been consigned to the 'Alternative Mixes' disc.[/QUOTE]

Yes, another mystery...they may have been planned for a single/Bside release though

the wording " alternative mix " would still make no sense I suppose

Bink and croquetlawns like this.
  16. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

How about The Myth which is Bowie humming Cat People, a bit like Bowie La La-ing to The Revolutionary song !

croquetlawns likes this.
  17. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

Id rather buy something rare for that price !

18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

An interesting performance. A bit too much Elvis impersonator via the character Travolta played in Grease for me, but fun nonetheless.

scenescof and Frankie_Collector like this.
  19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I feel you man, there has to be a line somewhere. I am only interested in the CD box sets, and I'm paying less for this one than I did the last. There's really no excuse for the VInyl costing as much as it does. I know of the issues around pressing plants etc, but they have to be able to do better than this. I also have to wonder - what are the chances they're going to be able press 18 albums per box, and not have Quality Control issues? Time will tell, but it's a risky purchase, imo.

20. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

???

the CD book is 84 pages and the vinyl book is 128 pages
    (according to the press release, it may be that they have this the wrong way around)

21. smithwhite

smithwhite Forum Resident

People keep talking about QC issues, but I've got all 4 boxes on vinyl (that's more than 50 albums) and I have experienced zero problems with the discs themselves. Zero. Sure, there are mastering/editing choices in places that aren't perfect, same as on CD, but all of those 50+ discs have been perfectly pressed. I couldn't be happier. I am pretty confident I'm going to get 18 pristine discs with this set too. I read someone comment somewhere in one of these enormous threads that the pressing issues may be a US thing. Don't know if that's true, but as a UK buyer, these have been a great buy for me.

22. sore_and_crucified

sore_and_crucified Forum Resident

Out of the 4 box sets, which ones came out during a global pandemic?!

I’m now on the fence with my pre-order. I can’t see any justification for such a high price and like others, would have been okay with a bit of a price rise but not an almost doubling. I’m leaning closer each day towards cancelling.

I’ve seen other comments stating some of these albums are highly priced on the used market but how does that justify a new, non limited edition release carying a high price tag?? I’ve never seen that strategy used before on countless “first editions” released previously on vinyl.

OneLife and Halloween_Jack like this.
  23. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

We need to wait until we have the liner notes at hand, but at the moment there is no reason to believe the leak represented how the final album was meant to be presented. For all we know, prior to submitting the final track list, Bowie may have decided to remove them and save them for the next album.

24. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

The other track that they could have added to the Toy box is Pictures of Lily. Although it was never intended for the Toy album, it was recorded in the Toy sessions.

When I put the leaked Toy on my ipod, I added Pictures of Lily as a bonus track!

croquetlawns likes this.
  25. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Yep - and thematically it wouldn't be surprising at all to find out that Bowie never intended them for Toy, and that the only "new" song planned for Toy was the title track, a relatively late addition to the running list ("Toy (Your Turn to Drive)" is derived from a sample of another Toy track, right? I seem to remember reading that recently but can't recall which track off-hand). Instead, "Afraid" and "Uncle Floyd" were being prepared for a future project.

(Sort of like Bowie starting "Can You Hear Me" and "Dodo" during the Pin Ups sessions - we know he was working on/recording those songs during the same period, and that they definitely weren't intended for Pin Ups in the end).