Wilson Audio Yvette

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ingenieur, Oct 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home... Thread Starter

timind, Echoes Myron and Pkcpga like this.
  2. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

An excellent speaker. Before he retired a close friend was the local Wilson Audio dealer. The Yvette was highly regarded because it was easier to drive than the other Wilson’s of the period, had a smaller but not too small foot print, was full range, and sounded great. Checked your profile and everything you have will work fine.

Just be patient and follow Wilson’s setup guidance, which is available on-line, if the manual does not come with your speakers.

Great choice.

Manimal, bhazen and Ingenieur like this.
  3. Ingenieur

thanks
    Comes with everything, crates, all books, etc.
    Painted Obsidian Black (custom?)
    That is a Mercedes color, lol

They are 250 miles away, if I go I'll take a truck because I have a funny feeling if I hear them, I'll be leaving with them.

bhazen, Pkcpga and MGW like this.
  4. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

If you do,I think you’ll find they’re keepers. Having the crates and books is a nice plus. If you price replacement crates you’ll understand why.

Ingenieur likes this.
  5. Ingenieur

I'm afraid you may be right, lol

No need for a sub, solid to 20 Hz.
    I guess the hump at 30 Hz is the room?

Wifey said, whatever you want.
    No argument there!

[​IMG]

Daddy Dom, BayouTiger, PATB and 2 others like this.
  6. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

It looks like Obsidian Black is a standard colour Wilson Audio | Yvette but be warned. If they are anything like the E-Class Mercedes I had in that colour they'll be impossible to keep clean! o_O

More seriously, mighty speakers, but they might necessitate a little room rearrangement judging from the photos in your in your profile?

7. Ted Torres Jr

Ted Torres Jr Synergistic Maximus

Lets see...Used (but assume in great condition), 50% off retail, solid full range, Wilson Audio Signature Sound, SWMBO Approval...isn't your truck backing up YET to load em' up??? :confused: :agree: :thumbsup::goodie:

Ted

8. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

If the seller has a good room, you should be able to audit, at the least and decide if its worth it to your ears. You could also take your amp, dac, etc with you.

Moving higher up on the KEF chain (which you already seem to own) to a floorstander is also an alternate option.

9. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

I won't try to talk you out, because I quite like them. And I am not a Wilson fan boy.

But the Yvette stands out to me in that price range, especially at the price you will get them for.

Pkcpga and Ingenieur like this.
  10. Ingenieur

It'll be a bit easier than my sold non-metallic black C63s, at least the Obsidian has a bit of sparkle, I'll call it dust. :)

I am looking at that right now, just scanned the manual. They might work on the floor a foot out from the current location.

I just don't want to over-whelm the room with speakers. Need to think about this.

The room is almost 14 x 34 x 8.
    That is pretty much the only place for them,

They would fit where the current speakers are.
    Very close to the TV, ~ 1 inch. Each space is 14 x 28, speaker 13 x 20.
    Might look goofy.
    Plus canted down 3 deg or so.
    But looking at the vertical dispersion 5 deg below (12" ) would compensate for the 7" hearth.

Plus, spending that much I want to optimize location for SQ.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    Ted Torres Jr, Pkcpga and MGW like this.
  11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Solid speaker.

trd, Pkcpga and Ingenieur like this.
  12. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Can’t see how you could go too wrong if you have a chance to a reasonably good audition. What are they being driven with now?
    Taking your amp might not be such a bad idea. Forget about the amps specs. Just listen and compare. Your ears will tell you if it’s a good match or not. The sound is what you’re buying.
    Seems like a great opportunity if it checks all the boxes.
    Looks like a “gotta check it out” situation so you won’t regret not doing it later.

13. Pkcpga

Pkcpga Audio Enthusiast

Great speaker, looking to swap my Nautilus for new Wilson Alexx V. The Yvette are great speakers and if you can get a pair in great condition for less then 50% retail that’s a good deal. Good luck with them, too bad you can’t have the dealer set them up, might be worth $500 delivery and set up.

14. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

Wilson has stiff competition these days, new or used...(Schweikert, Magico, Rockport, audiovector, etc) and i say this even though i've legitimately liked the sound of some Wilsons i've owned in the past. But, if a guy's new to these types of speakers and unable to treat his room significantly, he's going to have a hell of a time getting the bass to work out in his house. All this absurd praise of "full range" speakers on this forum, well, some of these guys have some lessons to learn :D.

15. Pkcpga

Pkcpga Audio Enthusiast

I don’t think the Yvette’s are known to need a lot of special treatment, they are rear ported but not multi angled drivers like the Alexx line or my Nautilus which speakers of that nature do need a decent amount of treatment and placement. Even with the Yvette’s being easier then the Alexx line I’d still personally have them delivered and set up by the dealer to ensure best possible sound and suggestions within your space. They will not be a speaker you can have 12” from your wall and at a standard angle and your done, you’ll need to adjust and move them or treat the room to some extent to get the most out of them, but you may be very happy with them as they are and not care that you’re not getting the most out of them. My Nautilus are 3 feet off the wall and 12 feet apart in a 20 foot wide room, listening room, so treated windows and 10 foot ceiling with corner or edge sound treatment.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  16. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Did you read all the comments associated with the review? Such as
    Wilson Audio Specialties Yvette loudspeaker
    Wilson Audio Specialties Yvette loudspeaker .
    Wilson Audio Specialties Yvette loudspeaker &

"Peter McGrath spent a few hours figuring out where the Yvettes needed to be: 10' from my listening position, a little less than 7' apart, about 24" from each sidewall lined with LP shelves, and with their front baffles 49" from a ¾-height concrete-block wall behind them, and 107" from the structural wall behind that. When I sat to listen, my ears were 39" above the floor, and 3–4" below the Yvettes' tweeters."

If you go to listen make sure you take your new Luxman and be realistic about fitting these speakers in your room. Setup of these speakers is critical to get what you will pay for.

Good Luck

Ingenieur likes this.
  17. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

These have been @Tullman speaker of choice for years,perhaps he will pop in here with 1st hand knowledge?

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

As you know, I now have Sasha DAW speakers. The Yvettes are great speakers, too.
    A good idea unless your amp weighs 90 lbs.

Set up was included from the dealer. Delivery was around $300. The set up guy came twice. Once for initial setup and then follow up.

I have room treatments and they are well worth the money.

Agreed. Especially with the Sasha DAW speakers and up the line. Plus, it's good to have two sets of ears.

Pkcpga and Glmoneydawg like this.
  19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I am shocked you are considering these speakers.;) Half price is a no brainer, IMO. The Yvette's will reveal all weaknesses up stream. In other words any improvements up stream will be revealed by the Yvette's. Be careful!:p

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

21. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

If they are such an end game speaker, you gotta wonder why they are being sold.

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Perhaps the dealer is dropping the Wilson line. Perhaps the dealer got word that Wilson is making Yvette II's. Perhaps the dealer took these in on trade.

24. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

The in-groove guy talks about the dealer moving around his Wilson speakers for two days to find the best placement (at around 22:00)! I hope you have enough space for different placement options.

trd and Ingenieur like this.
  25. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

About time bud!I like living vicariously through other members purchases:) very nice and congrats!

jonwoody, bhazen, trd and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.