Alex Trebek RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by leemelone, Nov 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

2. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

Thank you for a wonderful run, Matt. I'm sorry that it's over.

3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Not me. We've been rooting against him for weeks. Oh, happy day!

MikaelaArsenault and ajax25 like this.
  4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I had a feeling that once the others' banks were building up that things weren't going to go too well for Matt... Still, he made a small fortune, so he has nothing to hangs his head in shame about.

It will be nice to hear the 'questions' properly formed again, instead of "what's (fill in the blank)..." for every response. I did find that very annoying.

5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

RIP
    The Matt Amodio Show

We return you now to regular Jeopardy

6. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

When he missed something like three questions in a row, I thought it might be his downfall. One of his hallmarks was that he was able to usually buzz in first, but the two challengers seemed to be beating him, particularly on the high-dollar answers. He was leading pretty nicely after regular Jeopardy, but really tripped over the Double Jeopardy round. Losing control of the board, he was unable to ferret out the Daily Double squares, and the ultimate champion managed to get both in that round, though he missed the first.

mrjinks and DISKOJOE like this.
  7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

How could he think Poland is near the Swiss Alps? He was a geographic expert. He threw in the towel and wanted off the show, finally.

Really gonna miss Matt. He was great.

‘They had a really strange contestant on tonight. Was wondering how the hell did they ever qualify for the show.

guitargal likes this.
  8. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

And for those who were tired of runaway games, the first post-Matt game was - a runaway.

9. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Yeah, what was up with that guy? He couldn't even speak.

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Seemed like a very sweet person and I was rooting for him to answer a question but he kept freezing, nerves I guess.

11. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Yeah, but I guess whomever was going to take Matt Amodio down wasn't going to be a slouch. And yes, it looked like he caught Matt on a very uncharacteristically off day.

12. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Nerves are what I was thinking as well. He couldn't even spit his words out and he was trying to answer while Myam was talking. He did seem to know his European history.

My wife kept pointing at the screen saying "That's young Michael Jackson."

For me it was a little disappointing to see a new champion face off against a woman who seemed to be an ok player and this poor kid who just couldn't get it together. Hopefully, today there will be some solid competition.

13. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I also wonder if Ken, James and Brad are chomping at the bit waiting for a chance to take on Matt.

JohnG likes this.
  14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Considering how poorly Rutter did in their match-up, he may want to lay low on this one. I really wanted Matt to still be there when Ken takes over hosting duties just for the intimidation factor. Imagine watching Ken hand over the most-consecutive -games title to Matt. Smirk alert!

mrjinks, aorecords and JohnG like this.
  15. guitargal

guitargal Forum Resident

Looked like Matt threw the game to me too. Sorry to see him go - he was really giving vitality to the show. He was a pleasure to watch especially after a summer of rotating and mho unremarkable guest hosts

I still prefer George Papadopoulis but I don' t think he'd leave his day job; and I got a kick out of Buzzy too , tho I don't know how he'd fare full time. But mho both of them have what the others lack- ' screen presence ' With Matt gone, it looks like a flat landscape .

I don't really care for Mayim as host , seems like a nice enough lady but no pizzazz. The good game show hosts are congenial but have a more dynamic personality with more of an 'edge' than Mayim or Jennings .

And though I may sound a bit petty here - whatever is making this gal choose her wardrobe ? Is it 1954 ? She looks like an overly modest librarian who belongs on the old I Love Lucy show . This shouldn't matter I s'pose but somehow ....it does.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    JohnG and head_unit like this.
  16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

What happened to the Star Trek guy? LeBron James...wait...LeVar Burton :laugh:
    I never saw him host. Or any of the others actually. Can we get William Shatner to host? Or how about a hologram of Carl Sagan? Wait, it should be someone with experience on TV-Donald Trump!

17. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

I was enjoying Matt's run so much that I was trying to avoid outlets that might spoil his run as much as possible the last few weeks. But the game he lost I could already sense early on that something was wrong and he might lose. So I went to google news and to my surprise there were absolutely no spoilers. And so I thought maybe he would eek out a win with a big wager in double jeopardy. He was actually leading going into double jeopardy, albeit not by much. The other two contestants outplayed him and the game reminded me of James' final game where he was beaten to final two daily doubles. It was kind of shocking to see him beaten to the buzzer in nearly every question of the the double jeopardy round. 0 for 3 in daily doubles certainly didn't help and it would've been interesting to see if even one of them could've changed the outcome of the game. Among the Jeopardy elites, he seemed perhaps the most down to earth and humble. One thing not everyone knows about the show is they tape around five episodes a day and I'd imagine a lot more physical/mental stamina is required than most realize.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    JohnG likes this.
  18. Grand_Ennui

Do you mean George Stephanopoulos?

19. guitargal

guitargal Forum Resident

Oops :sigh: um.....yes sir . You know, I usually mis-spell his name .....but never THIS bad :hide:

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  20. Grand_Ennui

That's alright-While I had a rough idea of how to spell his last name, I actually had to look it up myself.

guitargal likes this.
  21. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

If Mary had bet that extra $4600 on her second DD she would have taken the lead and might have won the game. Oh, well, I guess people prefer this over playing to win.

22. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

Thank you Nancy! I loved Matt but I couldn't get into Jonathan at all.

mrjinks likes this.
  23. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Yeah, something about that guy bugged me. He had a good run but I'm glad we have a new champion.

mrjinks likes this.
  24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Yesterday's show was the first time in forever that the competition was robust between all three players. Good to see the steamroller retired, at least for a day.

aorecords likes this.
  25. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I as well thought the competitors for most of Jonathan's weren't very strong, especially his first week. Last week was a little better. I hate to sound like I'm trying to diminish his skill. He definitely had some strong moments where he was clearly running the board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.