The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

If this thread has taught me anything, its that the Kinks could take any popular music style and make it work in any lyrical or narrative context.

I've done stopped even thinking about anything that might seem a mismatch on paper because they always make it work in execution.

pablo fanques, Zeki, Vagabone and 8 others like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Lol... no, actually:)

All Down The Line and DISKOJOE like this.
  3. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Nice. I just picked up Give The People What They Want. Still in the shrink wrap and looks unplayed. I already had the CD but now I’m looking to complete the vinyl collection. Only need a few more.

4. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

The vinyl on the Low Budget and State of Confusion were in pristine shape. The self-titled was unopened (has the red vinyl).
    I gotta create a list of what I have and what I need. I get to the record shop and I freeze and can't recall. :sweating:

5. Wondergirl

Since you not trying to be punny, I will answer your query. Yes, those two albums are new to me.

6. mark winstanley

Awesome.
    Low Budget is a favourite of mine, but it may take a couple of listens. There are some new sounds for the band on there, and at first they can be surprising.
    State Of Confusion is excellent too.

7. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

That happens to me sometimes. I went to Gloucester today myself to Mystery Train Records w/my friend Jimmy (I don't go to the Record Exchange during the month of October because downtown Salem, MA is full of tourists; it took me an hour to get home from work Saturday; it usually takes 15 min.). There was really nothing that spoke to me today, although I saw copies of the Kinks EP Collection Vol 1 & 2 on CD.
    Enjoy the albums,

8. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Low Budget put the Kinks back on the rock map back in 1979. It was preceded by the "Superman" single that got plenty of airplay, although it only got to #41, but it did get played on WBCN FM, who also played other tracks from it. As for State of Confusion, it was probably the first Kinks studio album since 1965 to have 2 Top 40 hits. We'll get to them in good time.

9. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

No it's just the regular Kinks.

mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  10. Wondergirl

Yep, I do remember hearing a lot of Superman on my radio!

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  11. All Down The Line

And a crazy Pol-it-ic-i-an!

12. Wondergirl

Well, when I said they were "new to me" I meant owning the vinyl. but I know a lot of the songs on both albums. I'm giving a quick listen to the Low Budget songs right now and I recognize a bunch of them(to my surprise). But won't say anymore until we get there. :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  13. palisantrancho

Isn't it hard to keep quiet? I also try not to say too much before we get to the album, but it's tough! Has anyone done an estimation as to when this thread will even come to an end?

I don't think there will ever be a better song by song thread. I'm happy I was able to catch this one at the very beginning. I really wish I caught the Elvis thread by @mark winstanley

14. mark winstanley

I have no idea.... a guess would be somewhere between June and October next year.....

It's really difficult to keep a lid on it. Particularly when I do a listen ahead to get myself in the zone for the upcoming albums.

15. palisantrancho

I feel like I should be taking notes when I listen to upcoming albums, but I'm hoping some of my thoughts will just come back to me when we get there. I have been spending a lot of time with all of the 70s albums lately.

16. Wondergirl

Right now, this is the only song by song thread I'd want to participate in. It came along at the exact right time in my life and, like you, was so glad I could jump on very early.

I've told a few people about this thread and how long we've been at it (6 months!!) and we've only just hit 1970 and they're astonished. and most people think it sounds pretty cool even though they would never do it themselves (I think that makes us all 'special').

Estimated ending date of this thread: March 1, 2058. Har!

Zeki, markelis, Ex-Fed and 7 others like this.
  17. mark winstanley

Same.
    I should take notes, but never have in my whole life lol

18. palisantrancho

ha ha. I'm the same.

If you took notes your intros might be 3 pages long! :D

I think you are doing splendid without any notes!

19. mark winstanley

Lol
    Cheers mate

20. All Down The Line

Which clearly experience would dictate.
    Always good when able assistance put on thread.

mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  21. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

Got to Be Free
    I also thought of this similarity with the Arthur closing singalong. (Hmm.."they are wrong" is starting to sound like a running theme lol). Both songs are also upbeat in tempo and attitude, with a country feel.

My only criticism about the track is that the neat little riff between lines in the chorus is a bit overused, but overall the song is a good wrapup and mission statement, as it were, and not too country for me, once we get past the first few bars. And soon they would be free...of their Pye contract.

As for the album... Every album we've covered since Face to Face has turned out to be a "contender" for my favorite Kinks album, and this one continues the trend. Having their hardest rocking songs since 1965 is a plus over Arthur for me. I don't have much to add really, but again I'm surprised how much more I like the album after a few listens. And that reminds me that I have not been spending adequate time assimilating unfamiliar music, and I want to rectify that.

pablo fanques, DISKOJOE, Zeki and 7 others like this.
  22. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

It will go on in perpetuity. You see, by the time we get to the last release we will have forgotten all the earlier stuff and have to go back where we started and do it again.

23. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Forum Resident

Wow. You're living on a thin line with that one. :angel:

24. All Down The Line

Has it left the building?

25. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Ideally, this thread will be about to come to an end at the same time a brand new Kinks album is released…,