The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. intoaudio

intoaudio Active Member

Group,
    Thanks for your insights on the effective mass. Much appreciated.

Got a couple other questions:
    -the Technics alignment jig; how are you folks lining up your carts on that? Do I line up the stylus tip to the very end? Just over the end? Or, to account for cantilever deflection, just a touch short? Interested in your approach. And - is there a better way? I do not have a protractor; I also know Technics has its own geometry for null points. Any tips, appreciated.

-1200GR tonearm capacitance; I saw a figure, which I have forgotten, in some forum, which I've also forgotten, on what the capacitance is of the tonearm wire. Anybody know it?

Thanks...

2. JP

JP Forum Resident

dcarwin, csgreene and Ingenieur like this.
  3. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Look at the end of the jig and you will see a V notch.
    Look from the bottom and thru it and sight the stylus.

Rotate the jig until you can't see the bottom edge, that means it's perpendicular.

It will take a few tries.

[​IMG]

4. Ingenieur

Now you have 2 good ways, lol.

C ~ on the order of 20-25 pF iirc

intoaudio likes this.
  5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Has anyone noticed that when the arm lock is on the released position the sound seems more “open”?
    Is it just me that hears this?

6. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Probably. We're getting pretty out there when someone thinks they hear something like this.

Ingenieur likes this.
  7. Ingenieur

I've accidentally left mine unlocked for a dozen lp's. Only noticed when I looked at it.

8. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Probably means you’ve been enjoying your whiskies too much during listening sessions ;)

mackat, MusicNBeer, bru87tr and 2 others like this.
  9. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

I suppose the lock is somewhat important or there would be none.

10. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

Unlocking probably adjusted the azimuth and produced a more accurate open sound, I noticed there's a minor tilt to the tonearm when unlocking and locking.

Ideally it's best to find the proper vta then lock the tonearm and adjust the azimuth in that position. Also noticed more smoother and stable tonearm queuing when the vta was locked.

C.Ludwig likes this.
  11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes, I noticed the minor tilt you mentioned too.
    Good guess that what I heard might somehow be related to a slight azimuth change. :tiphat:

12. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

Find the solution of my McIntosh Dealer :
    [​IMG]
    Just be carful to close the C220 when use the mix.

13. harby

harby Forum Resident

Is this a game of "spot the stupid"?

14. Ingenieur

Not sure if this was suggested.
    But the NUO could be 'monitored' while being fed any source. Any changes on the NUO would be passed out the XLR 'main out' to the amp.
    Splitting the phono signal is a bad idea.

You can turn everything on and use as normal, the NUO is a 'tape recorder'. Less chance of blowing stuff up, lol.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    T86911 likes this.
  15. Rocat

Rocat Do you realise, this world is totally fugazi.

Hi mates.
    I've been lurking this thread for a long time...nice and plenty of good info to be found.

Now I think I really need your help...

Today I got myself an Ortofon Concorde 40 Anniversary, so far I've been using a Rega Elys 2.

My two questions:

1) is it right to have this space between the arm and the cartridge? I don't think I can push the Concorde more "inside" the arm:

[​IMG]

2) I believe that now my arm is too low, because I saw that the Concorde needle is pushed upwards when in use (I stopped playing after a few seconds).

Should I try to set this "ring" to move up the arm, until the needle stays in the normal position (the one when is not in use)?

[​IMG]

Lack of experience and failing eyesight have ruined the joy for my new toy :)

Thank you!

16. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

If the TT has a 6mm mat set VTA ring to 4. If it has a 3mm mat set the ring to 1.

17. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

But how i can mix a CD with a Record for example ?
    In fact it was the beginning of my story :D
    I would mix my cd's with my records but i want to use the phono preamp of the C220 to keep a good sound without unplug the TT each time from the NUO to C220 and vis versa...
    Where is "rec monitor" for NUO ?
    Ecler NUO2.0 Professional DJ Mixer

18. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

1) No, there should be no space between the collar of the SME connector and the Concorde cartridge.
    When turning the SME locking ring, it should catch onto the pin on top of the cartridge connector and pull the Concorde inwards until it’s tight against the SME collar.
    Don’t use actual force though; that might damage your tonearm bearings.
    2) If you mean with “pushed down” that the cantilever goes inward/upward slightly, then yes, that’s normal because of tracking force onto the suspension.
    With the stock mat I have the VTA ring set at 0 to achieve the tonearm parallel to the record surface.

As a point of reference, you can check one of my videos to see how it should look like when attached properly.
    It’s actually a Concorde Century, but its physical dimensions are the same as your 40th anniversary Concorde:

Paul2K, Rocat, recstar24 and 2 others like this.
  19. harby

harby Forum Resident

When you select "phono" on the McIntosh C220 (or select any other source), its signal will be sent to "tape out".

"Rec monitor" is the tape loop button on the McIntosh C220. It doesn't change the source that is selected or sent to tape out. What you hear through speakers when this switch is selected, though, is instead the input from "tape in (rec monitor)". This button is normally used with 3-head cassette decks to monitor the quality being recorded to tape.

It is acceptable to use the multiple outputs from a CD player (or y-cable) to drive two different inputs. However, you cannot do this with phono cartridge hookup from a turntable. Each phono preamp individually attempts to provide the cartridge with the electrical loading impedance the cartridge requires.

(other preamps or receivers can be more complex audio hubs. With "zone 2" and "zone 3" RCA output for other rooms, along with an independently selectable "tape out", my receiver can pass through four sources at a time.)

T86911 and Ingenieur like this.
  20. Ingenieur

agree
    Run phono thru the C220
    Use the second CD output to feed the mixer.

I guess if you selected:
    CD
    rec/monitor
    Both monitor inputs would see CD

T86911 likes this.
  21. JP

JP Forum Resident

Ingenieur likes this.
  22. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

Welcome to the shure v15 (iii) club. I got really lucky and have several, including vn35mr micro-ridge original shure stylie, probably won't be in the market for a new cartridge unless someone comes up with an mm that sounds better at a reasonable price! A little bass-shy, though.
    My best audio-interested friend is an enineer and I could listen to him talk all day long, it's when numbers get involved that I get puzzled!
    Definitely rather read your posts than tonearm squeeking or mim vs mij!
    I guess you mean my existant but admittedly quiet 50hz noise which is still present, granted It isn't actually an issue when music is playing, but see it as a warning, if you expect absolute silence from your GR you might get some hiss and 50hz stuff and another warning that the GR is super sensitive to anything plugged in near it. A few pages of that are definitely more of import to your average audiophile than talking about who works in a new factory!
    Nower days I just, ya know, play records on it, but when we had the 10 page marathon about it I was having a sort of autistic worryfest about it, alternating between that and thinking who the hell cares and playing records with no hum audible while the music's on! Fellow aspies will probably relate I bet I'm not the only one.

and any of you lot are welcome to come and find out why 78s on the GR are a wonderful thing :d I hate not getting on with people, ut audio is so sujective I usually just think ah, they're more or less bothered aout something than I am and let it go

Slick Willie and Ingenieur like this.
  23. Ingenieur

24. LAB1904

LAB1904 Active Member

Bought it locally in San Diego CA from Alma Music and Audio. They still have 1 in stock.
    Technics SL-1210GR Grand Class Turntable [BLACK]

Alma Audio. Yes, Malaysian made. As far as I can tell build quality and craftsmanship is there. Very happy with the purchase. I guess time will tell if these hold up to Japan made 1200s. Im still holding on to a pair of 1200MK2 that I have but, upgrading to the GR is definitely worth it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Joel S likes this.
  25. Rocat

Rocat Do you realise, this world is totally fugazi.

The mat is the stock one, thank you.

I will check the viseo ASAP. I tried to install the cartridge again, and finally I got no space between the collar of the SME connector and the Concorde cartridge :)

@C.Ludwig , @Oelewapper , thank you!

C.Ludwig, Ingenieur and Oelewapper like this.