Tears For Fears - The Tipping Point- February 2022 release*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NunoBento, Sep 28, 2020.

1. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

He did not really confirm the Elemental box set as much as not deny it.

ARK likes this.
  2. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

Agreed! Curious as to what everyone's TFF Dream Setlist would consist of?

Mine would include...

Ever Met A Day [Graduate cover]
    The Working Hour
    Year Of The Knife
    Laid So Low (Tears Roll Down)
    Elemental
    New Star
    Bloodletting Go [Live Curt Smith lead vocal version]
    Me And My Big Ideas [Duet with Curt replacing Oleta's vocals live]
    Aeroplane [1999 Version]
    Last Days On Earth
    I Love You But I'm Lost [Curt (bass, vocals) and Roland (guitar, vocals) slower acoustic duet version]

:love:

ARK, RickH, Sammy Banderas and 2 others like this.
  3. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

The preVIEWS of the tracks are already out, kind of, partially, track names and running times ... just less interesting than LISTENing ... at least as far as I am concerned ... :)
    (Now off to stare at the almost empty playlist for a few weeks ...)

JulesRules likes this.
  4. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

If Elemental really is coming as a deluxe edition, and that is by no means confirmed, then it would be great to see them put some of those songs in the setlist. From recent interviews it really does sound like Roland and Curt have made peace with their troubled past, and I think even some of the vitriolic songs on Elemental could work in a TFF set now. Maybe not the "tanned look on your face" song, but definitely the others.

ARK, JeffMo, RAZORMADE and 1 other person like this.
  5. robsabres

robsabres Forum Resident

So Fish Out of Water is the opening song !

6. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Any news of a tour yet? I’d love to see them.

7. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

There's one tour date so far: July 9, Lytham Festival.
    They say there will be more dates.

CBackley likes this.
  8. rexlic

rexlic Forum Resident

While you're waiting, a newly posted transcript of a lengthy interview with Curt just prior to "Seeds" coming out. The interview was for a short feature in Rolling Stone, conducted by Trouser Press co-founder Ira Robbins.

Tears for Fears: The 1989 Interview | Trouser Press

Maurice, mjb, ARK and 4 others like this.
  9. robsabres

robsabres Forum Resident

This is what Roland said a few years ago about the songs they were working on. Some made it , others did not :
    Yeah, absolutely. There’s a song called “My Demons." There’s a song called “I Love You but I’m Lost,” “End of Night.” These are all very strong singles. “Up Above the World” has just got a great, fantastic beat.

MikeManaic61, ARK, JulesRules and 2 others like this.
  10. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I wish I understood this comment.
    I’m sure it will be obvious once explained

ARK, JulesRules and omikron like this.
  11. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Graduate reminds me of early XTC, that quirky as can be new wave. Good stuff…

12. I’ve been searching for a legit Graduate CD — ideally the one with the bonus tracks — that won’t require a second mortgage, for I’ll bet 10 or even 15 years — with no luck whatsoever. :cry:

JulesRules, omikron and Ryan Lux like this.
  13. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I’m listening on streaming. Man, Roland was just bursting with creativity at that time.

14. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I assume because he’s responsible for so many people ordering large box sets, which are shipped in cardboard boxes.

ARK and omikron like this.
  15. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I think if they did Year of the Knife, I would pass out from disbelief and awe. I friggin love that track .

16. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I didn't realize that CD had become a rarity. I just checked out prices and Holy Toledo! I have the 19-track version in a box somewhere, but I just listen to a ripped version of it. It's pretty good while you're on the treadmill with all those high tempo songs.

17. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

The Tipsy Point

18. hEARt PhoniX

Well.
    As of now the price for the Sanctuary Records edition (the one with the bobus tracks) seems to be around €100 at discogs. Which may not cover a mortgage, but is way more than I am willing to pay here.
    For me the €12,49 version is the way to go. Thanks for the reminder, @RAZORMADE and @Rooster_Ties, had it on the toBuyList about one or two years ago already, but forgot about it.
    Album Acting My Age, Graduate | Qobuz: Download und Streaming in hoher Audioqualität
    At 7Digital the flac files are €10,99.
    Acting My Age (1980) | Graduate | MP3 Musikdownloads | 7digital Deutschland
    Unless you really want something physical to file away, that may be a more price conscious alternative.

Oh, and it is on the streaming portals.

Acting My Age

19. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Thanks for that. That was brilliant.
    I think Curt dislikes the song, so it's unlikely to happen. It also requires some pretty demanding vocal acrobatics that I doubt Roland can still pull off.

20. iveivan

iveivan Prime Sinister

I had that version with the bonus tracks and gave it away for pennies years ago. Kicking myself now.

Sammy Banderas, ARK and JulesRules like this.
  21. hEARt PhoniX

Thanks a lot.
    Curt mentions singing at the Free Nelson Mandela concert in 1988. That was what later made me listen up when Seeds Of Love was released. Yes, I knew the track before, heard it being played by others at school or trips etc and quite liked them, but this concert I experienced fully. I recorded it all onto cassettes from the radio live broadcast and okayed them so often they are damaged today. The whole concert's influence on me just cannot be overstated, even though I had not heard something like that before I just loved Miriam Makeba and Hugh Masakela. The greats. I had no idea Jerry Dammer's The Special AKA was a derivative to The Specials who I would discover one year later, along with The Beat and The Selecter.
    And so much more.
    The storming five songs by The Eurithmics ... I had only remotely heard their hits ...
    Among the moments that stood out for me was Curt Smith. I just loved the song sooo much.
    Here it is. Can't we get a release of every minute of this day already? I'd love to hear it all again. I remember excitedly reacing in my bike to a friend to borrow more empty cassettes, sad to miss the music at the time, but at his place I saw a few minutes on TV, just before I had to hurry back home before the current cassette would run out.
    What an exciting day.
    And this concert made me seek out information about Apartheit. I still remember the momentbI learned about Nelson Mandela's release.
    A short while afterwards a radio station broadcasted excerpts from the Amnesty International Human Rights Now! tour, again with Tracy Chapman, Sting, Peter Gabriel whose haunting Biko from this day gig became a landmark song for me, (he had performed it in London together with Simple Minds), and also Bruce Springsteen, Youssou N'Dour and more. This tied in nicely and taught me about the Carta Of Human Rights. Very important.
    Both events were pivotal for me on so, so many levels.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  22. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

It means he’s married to the “Queen of Compromise”

23. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

My pie-in-the-sky dream is to have Raoul and The Kings of Spain performed in their next tour.

ARK, omikron, JeffMo and 5 others like this.
  24. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star Thread Starter

YES. A million times yes. It's my favourite track too.

25. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

The only act that I've ever seen that opens with their most popular song.
    Who else does that?

JulesRules, D-rock, RAZORMADE and 3 others like this.