Beatles - Get Back new book

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

So all the text in the book is dialogue from the studio sessions? Like a Fly on the Wall except in print? Maybe one less thing to buy.

Shaker Steve likes this.
  2. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

It's a nice hb photo book, most of the text is the band dialogue from the sessions (similar to the original book that came out in 1970 perhaps?)

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  3. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Transcripts of the ever-present Nagra recordings.

4. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

OK, thanks. Sounds like I'd look it over once.

5. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Canceled my Amazon order I placed way back in January 2020 to get the Target exclusive with the lobby cards. They had a big display right in the main aisle. I hope it sells well so they continue with exclusive content
    [​IMG]

6. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Judging by the book sections shown in the promo ("Act Two: Apple, Act Three: Rooftop"), I thinking people are right about how the Peter Jackson series will be divided, with the first "act" at Twickenham, the second at Apple and the final third act primarily focused on the rooftop performance, probably with some preparatory discussions, walk-out dramas, etc., all leading up to roof.

originalsnuffy and BeatleJWOL like this.
  7. BertDert

BertDert Zapple scruff

It's also part of Target's current Buy 2 get 1 free book sale, just fyi - Lobby cards are 8 x 10 in envelope attached to back inside cover sealed with apple logo sticker.

Ms. Daisy, maui jim and BeatlesBop like this.
  8. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

But will you get well done?

PhoffiFozz, boggs and joeislive like this.
  9. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Always love seeing these Beatle displays. The barnes and noble by me had displays for the 50th anniversary Pepper, White album and Abbey Road sets, they are always fun to see. Unfortunately that particular Barnes and Noble relocated and downsized and the music section in the new location is 1 rack long, so I highly doubt they would be getting these promo pieces anymore, but if anyone sees displays for the new Let it Be box sets please share!

10. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

On the copy I received from Amazon, it's got a QR code "Scan this code for Bonus features". Not being a QR code person, anyone try that yet?

11. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Yes, and it doesn't do anything except bring you to an advert for the Get Back book on The Beatles website.

12. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I hope it sells well so they continue selling books... and CDs/vinyl/DVDs/Blurays... [yes, I'm looking in your direction, Best Buy...]

:magoo:

13. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

:thumbsdow

Lost In The Flood and longdist01 like this.
  14. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes, I was just at “my” Target to get other things and thought I’d wander over to the books and they have the same display.

I snapped a picture also to post here but you’ve saved me the trouble . :D

My book is coming from Amazon today, but now I’m mildly annoyed I didn’t get it at Target.
    It’s the exact same price as Amazon and I would have gotten the lobby cards also.

The only thing is, I’d end up carefully leaving the lobby cards in the book, treating them like they are as priceless as the Dead Sea Scrolls or similar, so what’s the point in me having them?:laugh:

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I probably gonna buy the English version, just because it's more authentic.
    [Edit:] Just ordered it. Forgot/realized that it was just released today.^^

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  16. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

It allows you to download the Let It Be movie in HD ;)

ronbow likes this.
  17. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Flipping through my copy of this book, I think it's terrific. It's great to have a really clear illustrated transcript of these sessions. So far, for me, the most revelatory passage is not the George-Paul exchange which, to be honest, doesn't read like that big of a deal on the page. I never thought that conversation looked all that tense on film, either, but on paper, it seems even less so. And also, this exchange happened on Jan 6 and George didn't "quit" until Jan 1o, so clearly other things happened in the intervening days before George walked out. At any rate, this conversation doesn't have a cause-and-effect quality on the page.

For me the really fascinating bit is on Page 104 when John and Paul are talking (and George still hasn't come back). And John admits that, in the past, he was too "frightened" (his word) to speak up in the studio when Paul suggested a direction for one of John's songs that John didn't want for the song.

John: ... Now the only regret about the past numbers is when, because I've been so frightened, I've allowed you to take it somewhere I didn't want.

Paul: Yeah.

John: ... my only chance was to let George take over, or interest George in it, because I knew he'd ...

Paul: She Said She said.

John: She Said She said.

Wow. o_O That's all they needed to say to know what the other was talking about. Dang what a complex relationship. I hardly know where to begin unpacking that.

Given that Paul supposedly fell apart and left the studio in tears during the recording of She Said She Said, I can only surmise that Paul felt abandoned somehow when John turned to George to bolster John's conception of the song. That Paul was so easily thrown by this suggests that Paul was a lot more fragile than people think -- at least when it came to his partnership with John. And that John was "frightened" to express his view to Paul in the studio and needed George to "take over" the song -- I mean: What? -- also suggests John was a lot more fragile as the supposed "leader" of the band than people think. ... We're talking some seriously delicate egos here.

All of which it makes me wonder, yet again, why -- with way too many Beatles books written over the years -- we've never gotten a good book purely on the Lennon-McCartney partnership.

18. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Well done ?

19. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

I am loving this book ...great to read the dialogue, great photos. A really nice package. Bring on the audio!!

Natural E, Carl80 and oboogie like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I tried the QR code for the bonus features and got footage of Allen Klein taking a bath... :shrug:

;)

21. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Good points. I’m not sure, though, that this is an example of “seriously delicate egos.” It seems more like each valued the other’s opinion so much that any negative comments made by one would really injure the other.

This reminds me of Paul having stated that John once told him that his apology in song, “Jealous Guy,” was actually written for him (Paul), and not for Yoko as many people assumed.

22. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Thanks. Did not know. Want Grohl book and it’s out of stock at my Target

BertDert and supermd like this.
  23. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Is it true that if you read the book backwards there are hidden messages?

MitchLT and TheKevster like this.
  24. BertDert

BertDert Zapple scruff

That's just a single promo sheet. It falls off when you take the shrinkwrap off. So you CAN cheat~

25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Pretty soon, you're going to be dead, and those lobby cards will do nothing for you strapped to the back of a book on your bookshelf. Freaking take them out, frame them, and "collector's mentality" be damned. Nobody after you will care about "collectability," either. Enjoy your items. Have fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.