Wilson Audio Yvette

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ingenieur, Oct 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home... Thread Starter

I'm the OP
    Yep, ~$5k more, but when making an investment like this I want to be flexible.
    It's a pretty big one.

Pkcpga likes this.
  2. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Buy’em! You wont get this chance again. :agree:

Tullman likes this.
  3. Pkcpga

Pkcpga Audio Enthusiast

Sounds good, the three listed are definitely not going to be better or come close to the Yvette’s and will cost you more. I’m sure there are other speakers under 20k that will revival the Yvette’s but not necessarily beat them overall. At 12-13k or even under 15k I can’t think of any. KEFs at 25k, Blade 2 in my opinion is a competitor, slightly different sound signature. Vandersteen doesn’t have anything to directly compete, the Kento carbon definitely costs over 30k, wasn’t my personal favorite, some of their “lower” end stuff isn’t my favorite. Vandersteen becomes great with the Seven series, for myself there’s less trickle down in sound signature with Vandersteen then Wilson. Wilson Yvette if really in great condition and barely broken in is a great deal. Bring your amp when you go, definitely have the store set it up with your amp at some point. They can wow you with a 20k amp then set it up with yours.

Tullman and Ingenieur like this.
  4. jon tuna

jon tuna Forum Resident

Go from the R3 to the next relative level with a speaker a little more adaptative. The Wilson is too demanding of circumstance. The Luxman is quite a leap for the Kef’s, no?

Lots to do with the system, no need to feel the “endgame willies”

5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Joseph Audio Perspectives2 Graphene. Stunningly clean colorful sounding speaker. Supremely enjoyable and world class. Perhaps a bit unnatural. Less than full range bass.

Harbeth M 40.3 XD. Possibly the most natural sounding life like speaker in existence. True full range bass and depth. Realistic vocals and instrument tones and timbres. Coherence and ability to hide despite cabinet size. Possibly not enough sparkle for some, a consequence of hyper natural sound. Requires a robust amplifier to control the large 300mm / 12 inch woofer. World leading midrange.

Ingenieur likes this.
  6. Ingenieur

I wished you hadn't said that... it would be easy to ignore if I did not place a lot of weight on your opinion.
    :agree:

Just did an hour of therapy washing my car.
    Thought about nothing but speakers. :biglaugh:

Wrench thrower!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Your prior post indicates you have the space for the Wilson's. If you follow their WASP procedure where would they 'likely' locate? Is that going to work for you? But be honest, many people buy Wilsons and never set them up for best achievable, but are happy none the less.

Regardless, the construction of the Wilson is the polymer material (no MDF here) to the Magico Aluminum - they will last forever, and the Wilson use of the resistors to protect the drivers is a nice 'protective' feature.

But do not kid yourself, looking at your profile with its pictures and your current speaker setup, moving to the Wilson's will be an epiphany. Nothing does more than a change of speakers and especially when you can place them where they can breath. Dave Wilson years ago did a demo showing an expensive amp but was actually using a much lower cost amp to the chagrin of the audience. But these Wilsons will be your speaker destination and will survive any future upgrade you will make. However, double edged sword, if you buy the Wilson's, you will be upgrading your front-end in the future, and you may have to reassess what you can measure and what you can hear. This could be a big leap for you.

Oh, and the price of the materials used in the Wilson's is not decreasing, once you buy at this level you will likely find that 10-yrs from today, that yes there are better speakers at >$30K. I bought a pair of Kharma CE2.2 16-yrs ago, and to do equal it would cost me $30K today; and every change to the front-end is readily apparent - I will probably die with them.

You are not getting any younger, and you have worked out the logistics - GO FOR IT!

PS/When listening to those Wilson's put a blanket over that TV to damp that hard surface.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    GyroSE, Tullman, Ingenieur and 3 others like this.
  8. Pkcpga

Pkcpga Audio Enthusiast

I’ve used a microfiber towel 72”x40” to drape over my tv, cleans it at the same time.

9. Ingenieur

Thanks

I made something for the TV, heavy double fabric and lined with 2" batton.

Here's the rub. It's our main room, living on one end, dining on the other. Semi-open floor plan to entry (TV end) and kitchen in the middle (7' x 5 and 6' openings). It would be in the entry traffic flow. With a dozen kids flying around at times (grand, nieces/nephews, cousins) it might be 'risky'. Lol

That is why the hearth is ideal. I had the stands cut down to a perfect height .(I did it so they could be put back to oem if wanted).

I want them, just want to make sure I can live with them. I have confidence that with some feedback and consultation I can get a good setup. My lovely wife encourages me to do as I like for stuff like this. But I reciprocate by taking her feelings into account.

[​IMG]

trd, Pkcpga and pacvr like this.
  10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

LOL! You have some good options. Maybe I can help bring things back down to earth.
    Larger more costly speakers like Wilsons or Magicos are all about scale and capability to play bigger in a larger space. Sound quantity while mainting quality. It isn't a given that sound quality is any better than that of a top caliber speaker in a smaller form and smaller price.

Benzion, DrZhivago, Ingenieur and 3 others like this.
  11. Ingenieur

Wait a cotton picking' minute!
    I thought I had the mystery figured out!

:biglaugh:

trd likes this.
  12. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Reality bites. You are not going to happy if those kids poke an elbow or a knee into one of those drivers. You got your dream Int-Amp, maybe time to just be satisfied for now...

Art K and Ingenieur like this.
  13. Ingenieur

That helped :unhunh:

If anyone is looking for me (doubtful) I'll be in the closet curled up into a ball.

This an opportunity.
    The room is large imo.
    The price is right
    I can transport/handle them

the place to start would be diagonal 1' out from the hearth corners.
    3-4 from sidewalls
    4-5 from back
    8 apart
    11-12 from seating
    Toed in 20-30 degrees.

I could always ban kids. Lol
    But then wifey WOULD lay down the law!
    At Holidays all those rug rats and 3 dogs swirling around, almost forced me to start drinking. ;)

14. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

A dozen kids in the vicinity of my audio equipment would definitely deter me from getting expensive speakers, cartridges, ...., anything expensive really :laugh:.

15. Pkcpga

Pkcpga Audio Enthusiast

Give you idea of used market on Wilson, it’s fairly strong:
    Seen these at a local dealer, old, in decent condition not great, old tweeter not current version.
    Wilson Audio Sophia 3 | Full-Range | Nashua, New Hampshire 03063 | Audiogon

Newer/demo like model, step below with newer tweeter, same price as your paying:
    Wilson Audio Sabrina Loudspeaker Pair, Certified Authentic Never Titled | Full-Range | Ann Arbor, Michigan 48103 | Audiogon

Used model below the one your looking at:
    Wilson Audio Sabrina in upgraded Orange color | Jack's Gear Bazaar | Reverb

Only Yvette I could find sold for 16,995 used:
    Wilson Audio Yvette Speakers - Black Gloss

So even if a year from now you decide they’re not for you, looks like they should be fairly easy to resell.

I had a local seamstress make a heavy fabric cover for my speakers when my kids were younger and dog was a puppy.

Ingenieur likes this.
  16. Pkcpga

Pkcpga Audio Enthusiast

If you don’t buy them, can you let me know the store that’s selling them, I might pick them up. Can probably sell my tunetot’s for 7,500 and put these in nyc in the open kitchen/dining/living room. And hopefully not to far from PA or wherever they are being sold.

Ingenieur likes this.
  17. Ingenieur

I was, until I came across this deal.
    But listening now, I know it will be better, but how much at much volume level?

I have some mad $ from side work and work from home most of the time so would use them.
    The reason I'm buying stuff now is because I can make more $ if I want. When I retire I'll do some work but will be much more conservative in my spending and allocate more for travel. And that is when I'll have the time to really play with it.

I'm in no rush.

18. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

19. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Agreed....I've owned speakers that i really liked,but only "came alive" dynamics wise at a volume that was a little louder than i want for long term listening.Your preferred volume,listening position ect can make a great speaker into a bad idea.

Ingenieur likes this.
  20. Pkcpga

Pkcpga Audio Enthusiast

My tunetot’s are dynamic at very low volumes and my Nautilus sound great at low volumes, not quite as much bass but very enjoyable. Demo at the store at low volumes and you’ll get an idea.

Ingenieur likes this.
  21. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Pkcpga and Ingenieur like this.
  22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Maybe. Totally different speaker, IMO.

23. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Road trip and a listen sounds like the next step. Open mind and ears plus some haggling skills might get you some awesome speaks or a nice roadtrip, untapped wallet with stories and perspective. Hit the road jack......

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah you have a nice room for them.

My listening room is NOT a common room. Children are verboten in that room. The door is closed when we have company.

My wife drives me nuts. She uses wide hand gestures while talking normally. She stands next to the right speaker while talking and swinging her arms and hands within inches of the drivers. I have to keep reminding her to move away from the speaker. She gets perturbed and thinks I'm paranoid. I have to remind her how expensive it would be to replace a driver. She's getting better.

You know, Wilson does sell heavy covers for those speakers. If you frequently have kids running around, covers might be a wise investment.

25. timind

timind phorum rezident

I counted five separate Yvette listings under $13k during the last three years. I didn't read them so can't vouch for condition, except one listing for $9k (had to read that one) which had one slightly damaged speaker.

Used wilson yvette for Sale | HifiShark.com
    Click "sold"

Ingenieur likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.