Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Very different from what one might expect from a Corsano outing. Michael Flower is brilliant.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

3. Steve Minkin

Steve Minkin Senior Member

[​IMG]

Livio Minafra -- La Dolcezza Del Grido (Pino's son reminds me of Sergey Kuryokhin, love 'em both.)

jay.dee and sberger like this.
  4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Got my Corbett vs. Dempsey order in today with 3 great albums. This one is outstanding. Mats Gustafsson wrote the very enthusiastic, informative liners of this album. Free jazz that sounds like it was recorded this year, but incredibly in 1964!

[​IMG]

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Another new one from Corbett vs. Dempsey. Another no brainer also. Disc one made up tracks from the 54 disc ICP box and a Dutch promo box from '69, both unlikely to ever sit on my shelves, and disc 2 previously unreleased. And of course the music is as great as one would expect. If anything, some of it is tamer then I thought it would be, not to suggest it's lame. Beautiful packaging which is kind of standard with C v. D. [​IMG]

6. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Sergey = Russian Zappa

7. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Alex Zethson Ensemble - Some of Them Were Never Unprepared
    2021, Relative Pitch Records

Torbjörn Zetterberg, bass
    Elsa Bergman, bass
    Leo Svensson, cello
    My Hellgren, cello
    Anna Lindal, violin & contact mic
    Josefin Runsteen, violin
    Giannis Arapis, guitar
    Anton Toorell, guitar
    Kasper Agnas, guitar
    Andreas Hiroui Larsson, drums and gongs
    Niclas Lindström, shaker
    Karin Ingves, piano (right)
    Alex Zethson, piano (left)

This record is right up my alley, 33 minutes of perfection and I can't stop listening to it the last few days. It reminds me of The Necks, very repetitive and hypnotic. Although there are a ton of musicians involved, the music is never too busy. There is a great atmosphere with sounds coming from all over the place. The first track sets the stage, then picks up nicely in the last few minutes, but the second track is serious business... 4 minutes in, an serious beat picks up that never relents, and they just keep adding layers to it until the very end. Amazing.

[​IMG]

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Last of the most recent batch of Corbett vs. Dempsey releases, this '96 recording of Cecil Taylor in Berlin, featuring the immense Sunny Murray on drums. A great, if typical, late period Cecil performance. If you love him(who doesn't), then you'll love this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

j4yheindeo, mw1917, 93curr and 6 others like this.
  9. johnnypaddock

Slow Arrow
    by Giannis Arapis, Vilhelm Bromander, Vangelis Dimos
    2021, Ramble Records

Giannis Arapis: electric guitar
    Vilhelm Bromander: double bass
    Vangelis Dimos: drums

I've only listened to a few records from this label, but what I've heard so far has been excellent. This is a really nice 25 minute session with Arapis leading the way. His guitar sounds fantastic, pretty clean and easy to follow.

[​IMG]

10. johnnypaddock

11. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

GoGo Penguin.

sberger likes this.
  12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

An oldie but goodie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. The Ambient Library

The Ambient Library Forum Resident

14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Big fan of everyone in this group, so quite upset that I missed the earlier cd releases by this great ensemble, but at least I got this. Very ECM'ish, and I mean that in the best way possible. The Bandcamp description is spot on. For those who don't mind DL's and a little mellowness in their avant stylings, this one fits the bill.

Natsukashii (懐かしい), by Fuubutsushi

[​IMG]

deege3000 and johnnypaddock like this.
  15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

New Threadgill!!

[​IMG]

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Have been enjoying collecting and listening to a lot of the releases from Tripticks Tapes, a small label out of Western Massachusetts that is currently releasing some of the most interesting experimental sounds on very limited cassette release and DL that I've heard in some time. This particular one has really perked my ears. Reminiscent of things I used to hear on the Bead label with horns and bass squeaking, squawking and rumbling from all areas of the room. Perfect morning coffee sounds! Anyway, take a look at the link and then explore the label and I bet some of you will find something worth exploring. Or not.

Now if they would just expand enough to do some vinyl, and maybe make a tshirt for their most ardent supporters...

Thip, by Fraser / McCowen / Weinberg

[​IMG]

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

19. johnnypaddock

@sberger I'm with you on Tripticks Tapes. I have the Shiroishi, Ava Mendoza, Brandon Lopez and Luke Stewart titles so far and all of them are excellent. The new one with Forbes Graham was a little over the top for me on first listen, but I do like that one by The Pitch and might pick that up. Definitely a nice label!!

sberger likes this.
  20. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Tim Buckley...Lorca (1970)

Named for the avant-garde poet Federico Garcia Lorca, the album begins with the loose 5/4 time of its title track. Lee Underwood’s ominous horror-soundtrack keyboards introduce a dramatic, rhythmless groove that’s gently pushed forward by a spectral pulse, initiated by Buckley’s acoustic plucks and a sliding, warm standup bass. The lacy spider web of a song trembles, moving through the listener as opposed to remaining accessible to the listener. Buckley’s voice is the central instrument, his mastery of tone drawing out the emotive quality of the title track. His ghostly vibrato and provocative moans paint a lush narrative, imbuing the lyrics with rich vibrant colors.

On Second Thought: Tim Buckley - Lorca (1970) - Something Else!

[​IMG]

Roger Thornhill, bzfgt and sberger like this.
  21. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Claude Debussy
    Preludes, Book 2

The second set of Preludes' for piano features Debussy at his most avant-garde; dissonant harmonies evoke moods and images. In the mysterious Canope — the title refers to a burial urn which stood on Debussy's working desk—he resurrects distant past so eloquently that pianist Claudio Arrau called the piece one of Debussy's greatest preludes: "It's miraculous that he created, in so few notes, this kind of depth."[9] -wiki

SeeDubs and sberger like this.
  22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

23. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I saw two of the above mentioned - John Butcher and Phil Durrant - last night at Cafe Oto which was a launch gig for three albums (Limulus, Distinctions & Discernment) by Dominic Lash which can be found here.

First half was a quartet - Jon Butcher, Pat Thomas, Dominic Lash, Steve Noble - usual high quality improv that you'd expect from such stellar players.

Second half was the Consorts who made one of the albums - Distinction - minus a few who couldn't be there. But this was the lineup:

Douglas Benford - harmonium and percussion
    Steve Beresford - electronics
    Marjolaine Charbin - piano
    Chris Cundy - bass clarinet
    Seth Cooke - steel sink and metal detector
    Angharad Davies - viola
    Phil Durrant - modular synth
    Matthew Grigg - guitar/amplifier
    Bruno Guastalla - cello
    Martin Hackett - Korg MS10
    Tim Hill - baritone saxophone
    Tina Hitchens - flute
    Sarah Hughes - zither
    Mark Langford - bass clarinet
    Dominic Lash - double bass
    Yvonna Magda - violin
    Hannah Marshall - cello
    Helen Papaioannou - baritone saxophone
    Yoni Silver - bass clarinet
    Alex Ward - clarinet/amplifier

40 minutes of electro-acoustic. Superb.

24. johnnypaddock

Whoa that's a huge lineup! Awesome.

25. johnnypaddock

Phicus - Liquid
    2021, Tripticks Tapes

Ferran Fages -. electric guitar
    Àlex Reviriego - double bass
    Vasco Trilla - drums

Ferran Fages is the guitarist in Tàlveg, the trio I came across last week. I didn't realize he was also in Phicus. I'd heard their previous album Solid, released on Astral Spirits awhile back. This one has a slow moving, kind of creepy vibe to it. Still lots of noise for three musicians, with sounds coming from all over the place... Excellent.

[​IMG]

sberger and bzfgt like this.