David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I must be in the minority, because I have no interest in buying videos. I don't care what they master them to, they're nothing I'd be willing to pay for. I can watch most of them any time I want on Youtube for free. And yet I'm never tempted. Funny that.

scenescof, bluearmy78, DTK and 3 others like this.
  2. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Video Archive releases? A lot of shows were filmed or recorded, and AI can work wonders on old videotape. I wouldn't be surprised if Earls Court 1978 (alongside a lot of other material) finally gets issued.

scenescof, croquetlawns and Bink like this.
  3. Rob Byrne

Rob Byrne British, music lover

Doctor Who fans know the answer to this. Episodes from the 70s and 80s, shot on videotape (like most of Bowie’s promos were) have been released on blu ray and the results have been revelatory. No, they’re not true HD, but what they are is more detailed and devoid of video compression artefacts. They genuinely do look a lot better, so there is every chance that similar improvements could be delivered for Bowie’s promos.

4. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

I can't get why people don't just make do with the cd box release for the era set, as it is reasonably and fairly priced, unlike the vinyl. I have been a bit of a vinyl junkie, but the madness has to stop somewhere. I will not be buying the vinyl set unless it gets a big fat great discount in the future. All the music is available the cd releases, which are both fair.

5. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

You know, of all the artists past and present, he would be the most incredible to see in hologram form.
    I would totally pay for that to experience a Ziggy show with current fans going absolutely nuts and creating a great atmosphere! Bowie would approve of those innovations I suspect.

6. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I think that it would be awesome but only if it was done the right way with the absolutely best technology.

Cat People likes this.
  7. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

We will see how the ABBAtars go first I guess....then BOWIEtars next I guess?

SammyJoe and croquetlawns like this.
  8. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

how can they be more detailed?
    you can't get a gallon out of a pint pot

9. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

It would be horrible.

The man is dead.

10. Madrugada Eterna

Madrugada Eterna Well-Known Member

You've Got A Habit Of Leaving (Radio Edit) is a digital single taken from the album Toy, but is it available to download, or is it streaming only? I need a 320 kbps file (at least) but can't find it anywhere.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  11. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

Alomar is also on Reality ( one track )

pobbard likes this.
  12. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

But only on "Fly" (a bonus track on some editions), right? Or is there another one I'm not thinking of? (I did the post from memory and I'm almost positive I've missed some things).

13. Fabrice Outside

That's also how I remember it.
    Congrats on doing your list only by memory

pobbard likes this.
  14. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I did some digging - Alomar also plays on a single track on Heathen, "Everyone Says Hi". I'd say that matches Garson playing on a single track from Black Tie White Noise, so... it's essentially a tie as far as studio LP goes.

(I'm not counting 'Fly" since it was only a bonus track for some editions of Reality. If I did count it, then we could argue that since "Conversation Piece" was a bonus track on some versions of Heathen we should credit that LP to Garson too, and... it gets messy).

Here's something I don't have time/resources to do, but would be fascinating to find out: Which one played more total live dates (not tours) with Bowie?

croquetlawns and Fabrice Outside like this.
  15. Fabrice Outside

How many studio tracks would be fair enough

croquetlawns likes this.
  16. Bowie1979

Bowie1979 Forum Resident

I would have thought the 70s stuff would have been shot on film, perhaps some of the 80s stuff - but even then Bowie made some lavish videos in the 80s that may have been shot in film also. E.g. Jazzin for Blue Jean was shown in cinemas so would have been shot in film.

croquetlawns likes this.
  17. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

surely that's Alomar?

18. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

Am I the only one dissapointed we didn't get a 7" vinyl of this like the one we saw in the promo picture?
    I fear the BLA fiasco has scuppered any future plans for "limited editions" such as this one...

Ludger and Azorbz like this.
  19. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

The Aladdin Sane cover picture might work well in stained glass, I think.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Bink and anth67 like this.
  20. Oogie

Oogie Forum Resident

I hope they include the tm promos including the medley from the first album.
    Whether the issues with the 2nd album will extend to video material for that, possibly.
    It may not affect the videos though for the first album.
    Hopefully we will also see the withdrawn pretty things are going to hell promo.

croquetlawns likes this.
  21. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Yes and the self-portrait on the cover of the box set is very Egon Schiele influenced - as were a lot of Bowie's paintings.

MHP and croquetlawns like this.
  22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Glass sculpture for "Blackstar", maybe?[​IMG]

23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Lunchbox is more practical.

[​IMG]

croquetlawns and Fabrice Outside like this.
  24. long gone john

long gone john Forum Resident

Because there’s much less compression. You’re seeing something akin to watching the original mastertape rather than a version compressed to fit onto a DVD. The bigger your screen, the more apparent the improvement is.

scenescof likes this.
  25. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Garson sells signed editions of Heathen so he must count it.