Is This Mold on This Record?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pavol Stromcek, Oct 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member Thread Starter

Just received this "VG+" record in the mail from a Discogs seller. It's funny, I have loads of records, and I've been buying records since the early 1980s, but I don't believe I've ever seen anything quite like this.

Are these splotches mold? The record and sleeve/jacket have a strong musty/mildew-y smell, which is partly why I'm wondering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Please let me know if these photos aren't showing up for you.)

I realize there have been a few of these "Is This Mold?" threads, but I felt funny hijacking someone else's thread.

2. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

I'd return that lol immediately...very nasty stuff and calling this VG+ is an insult and delusional in the part of the seller. You don't want that in your collection if you can help it.

LitHum05, Ere, Tommyboy and 12 others like this.
  3. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Actually, it kinda looks like dust on oily fingermarks.

4. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Looks like oily fingerprints to me. IMO mold on vinyl is usually smaller dot like spots.

bever70 likes this.
  5. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Looks bad.

I wouldn't run my stylus through it.

WvL, Pavol Stromcek, AL01 and 2 others like this.
  6. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

It does look like fingerprints, but I don't see the characteristic striations of fingerprints. Instead, I see lines radiating outward, which to me looks like mold, maybe growing on the organic residue of the prints.

Should be washable though. Record looks not too bad otherwise, what I can see of it.

Big Blue, bru87tr, Drifter and 2 others like this.
  7. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Mold

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  8. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Whether it's mold or oily prints it is definitely not VG+. Return it.

Gregalor, ultron9, Drifter and 3 others like this.
  9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

So what is the album? Just curious.

10. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Whatever it is, it ain't VG+ condition!

11. AL01

AL01 Eh?

That's mold...

And a lot of it!

A bit too much to manage, ( I have successfully got rid of a small spore of mold on a record, but I wouldn't touch that thing with a 10 foot pole, let alone play it on any turntable.)

I hope you get a refund for it...

EDIT: The first image looks like mold. The second one confuses me. I will continue to assume that it is mold as I have dealt with it before (on a single record.)

ultron9 and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  12. Pavol Stromcek

Thanks for all the responses!

I don't think they're fingerprints because the lines, or ridges, don't look like those of fingerprints. They all seem to start from a central point and branch outwards. Plus, while some of the spots are as big as thumbprints, many of the spots are tiny and too small to be fingerprints.

Luckily, this wasn't an expensive record, and weirdly, I ordered this along with another record from the same seller that's totally fine, has no odor, and actually matches its VG+ grading. So, the seller was obviously way off with this one, for whatever reason.

At any rate, I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not this is mold before contacting the seller. Seems like enough people are convinced that it's mold that I have a solid case here.

ultron9 and rockclassics like this.
  13. Pavol Stromcek

Oh, it's a 12" single by German 80s band Propaganda, called "p: Machinery." Fortunately, it was only $4.50.

14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Well, for $4.50, it's probably not worth the hassle of a return. You can experiment with all the cleaning techniques we discuss and won't be out too badly if you make it worse (hard to imagine that would be possible).

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  15. harby

harby Forum Resident

16. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Maybe it was VG+ after he cleaned it. But didn't realize there was mold spores on the sleeve. Then the record gets put on Discogs and sits for a year till someone buys it. During that year the mold grew on the record unbeknownst to the seller.

17. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Related question on this thread: how do you clean mold off a record?

Danmar and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  18. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Porkpie, Big Blue, bru87tr and 5 others like this.
  19. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I agree to just keep it and test cleaning methods for a mere $4.50. Seems like an excellent candidate to test the effects of full strength 99% isopropyl.

idledreamer, bru87tr, parman and 2 others like this.
  20. Vinyl siding cleaner. Won't harm the record.

doctor fuse likes this.
  21. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

I would use a commercial preparation designed for mold remediation like Sporicidin or some other. As an alternative, digestive enzymes might work if dissolved and applied properly. Due to the severe condition, I'd clean it in a sink using label protectors and a paint pad. Once it's clean enough, use the RCM.

eddiel likes this.
  22. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Do you know how to wash records? I'm curios because you sound like this is is some kind of irreparable damage to the record.

Vinyl records do not mold, contaminants on the record will. Just like we wash off other contaminants this mold will wash away with them in a general washing. You can even make a stronger mix with adding more 90% IPO to a cleaning solution that will kill and wash away the moldy contaminants. Paper can mold and these spots on the record are most likely dust from the cover and inner sleeve that gave a starting point for the mold to adhere to the record. Now the cover on the other hand is a bit harder because we can't wash it with IPO and other chemicals that kill mold. Not to mention mold will attack the paper and depending how bad it might not be worth it.
    Above

vinnn likes this.
  23. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Just wash it and put it in a new generic cover.

vinnn and patient_ot like this.
  24. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

MOLD: There are essentially two different categories - there is mildew which is the dust type and has a musty smell and is relatively easy to remove from a record using most wet cleaning processes. If the record has a musty smell them its mildew. For mildew-type mold, a full wet process such as CHAPTER V. MANUAL CLEANING PROCESS: (Vinyl Record Manual Cleaning Process (thevinylpress.com) or similar is the safest since the mold should not become airborne – lots of water and lots of cleaner can be applied to ‘remove’ the mold. The same technique is used to ‘remove’ bacteria and viruses from your hands, and in the age of COVID we all know the drill – clean with soap and water for 20-seconds. If you dry brush the mold, it will become airborne and now becomes a respiratory hazard.

This is FYI - Then there is the fuzzy/slimy mold, generally has a more pungent odor and this is something else and can be dangerous, but this not what you have. However, for nasty dangerous mold The EPA has guidelines for mold remediation - Mold Cleanup in Your Home | Mold | US EPA. If the record has fuzzy/slimy mold, the general recommendation is to avoid and do not try to recover unless of extraordinary value. Common disinfectants such as alcohol and QACs (sometimes referred to as Quats) such as HEPASTAT™ 256 do not have very good sporicidal activity. They may inhibit growth, but not necessarily kill the spores. To kill the really nasty mold the safest sporicidal solution that should be compatible with records to kill mold spores is simple hydrogen peroxide. The one disadvantage is kill-time; 3% = 2.5-hrs while 6% = 1-hr. Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) does have very good sporicidal activity with much faster kill-time than hydrogen peroxide and should also be compatible with the record. However, specific record compositions may react differently; and the exact concentration to use is dependent on the starting concentration and household bleaches may contain other ingredients. If using hydrogen peroxide to kill mold, after soaking, lightly brush to agitate fluid and then dispose to drain. Apply tap-water rinse with brush assistance to remove all hydrogen peroxide noting that the hydrogen peroxide will mix with water almost instantly. Then continue to either general pre-clean or final clean

ispace, Oelewapper, jfeldt and 6 others like this.
  25. Pavol Stromcek

I agree that $4.50 is not worth the hassle on my end for a return. I suppose I can experiment with cleaning it, though I'd rather not spend an inordinate amount of time on it. I'll probably start with what I've already got at home, which is 91% isopropyl alcohol, since several sources recommend that for mold.

AL01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.