Beatles - Get Back new book

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Went to Target earlier this afternoon(Tuesday). Couldn't find it out on the shelves. Told me "it's on its way". Went to pick up at Barnes and Noble, I ordered one. Turns out same price $42 plus tax. Only difference, no extras in the B&N book.

Not to sound dumb, but...three is a sticker on the shrink-wrap of the book - Scan this code for bonus features. First, how to do. And Second, what will this show me?

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It should be as easy as opening the Camera app on your phone and act like you’re going to take a photo of it. Your camera should recognize the code and supply you with a link.

3. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

if you have an iPhone, just open up the camera and place it over the barcode until it asks you if you want to open it up in your browser, but your not missing anything it’s just a link to the beatles website promoting the book you just purchased!

utopiarun, ronbow and RayS like this.
  4. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

I’m about 100 pages into the book and it’s terrific so far! I skipped right over the intro … I don’t really care what people have to say about any of it. I went straight to the transcripts.

5. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

I don’t really think it would be feasible to have a book with complete transcripts of entire days of filming. You’d be talking about thousands and thousands of pages.

6. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

I'm still waiting to see pics of the lobby cards

7. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I got my book today and I think it’s really nice.
    No matter how many Let It Be era pictures a person has seen over the years, and I’ve seen plenty of them, there are many onew ones to be seen here.

I just quickly went through the pages looking at the pictures so far, but I assume the text is pretty much the same conversations I already have in the book that came with the album originally.

Regardless, this book is first class IMO, and I’m glad I have it.

Norbert Becker, Carl80 and boggs like this.
  8. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yes, I remember seeing huge stacks of these in St Louis at the B Dalton in Northwest Plaza, maybe late 70s / early 80s.

NumberEight likes this.
  9. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

This guys video shows them nicely:

and having seen the costco photos, I think the lobby cards are better

10. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Those cards look good, might have to track down this target release.

11. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Where did you see the Costco photos please? Thanks

12. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Just gone for the target version, like the look of those prints in the back of the book.

13. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I'm trying to post a screen cap of it, but I cannot figure out how to post photos, I used to be able to use photobucket, but they require payment now.

If you go on youtube, user Mark P (https://www.youtube.com/c/MarkP) posted it as one of his stories, not an actual video. Sorry I am not tech savvy enough to work this out!

FrankieFontaine likes this.
  14. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I went to my local target soon as they opened (after I checked online if it was in stock) and grabbed a copy with the lobby cards. They had a bunch of copies left on the display too. Will be sending my Amazon copy back. It's a sickness, I know.

Ms. Daisy and FrankieFontaine like this.
  15. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

The Target exclusive is better!

[​IMG]

16. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Thats the one! Prefer the Lobby cards tho

17. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Producer Giles Martin on remixing The Beatles' 'Let It Be': "I was surprised by the camaraderie"

Interesting Q&A with Giles Martin. It's mostly on the Beatles box set, and he has a funny quote from Paul about "How many versions of ‘Get Back’ do people need to hear?" :laugh:

But Giles also touches on the 'tension' in the band issue. He talks about how well John and Paul are collaborating and getting along in these sessions. In reading the conversation in this book, what struck me is how much John and Paul are connecting and talking and focused on each other -- while George and Ringo seem like extras on the set. It's not like J&P are excluding George intentionally, but more like J&P are fixated on J&P. Giles Martin makes that comment in this interview:

I've said before that I thought George was collateral damage and not a direct target. But that was the problem.

18. Warning: I scanned the code from the above picture on my iPhone, here at work, and a few moments later, "Get Back" was blasting out of my phone's speaker. Several people glared at me, since I obviously wasn't doing what I should be doing. :D

19. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I wonder if the thickness of the inserted photos and envelope in the Target edition will weaken the book binding over time?

20. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

That’s pretty damned obsessive-compulsive.

Me too.:laugh:

21. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Listening to the complete recordings (that we have in circulation) takes 97 hours.
    I can't imagine how much pages would be needed to transcript all of this :)

22. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

It was the early 70s. Got mine there 71-72.

ronbow likes this.
  23. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I'm on vacation this week so I checked 3 Costco's in my neck of the woods.

No luck up here in the Great White North. I guess I'll just wait for my (now-delayed with no ETA) Amazon.ca order.

Huxley likes this.
  24. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Like your avatar - civilian astronaut, ex-Star Fleet!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    jjh1959 likes this.
  25. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

That target exclusive is selling quite quick on eBay , the seller I bought from this morning has sold 10 today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.