Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I didn’t know he recorded those, but I’ll definitely have to check it out!

George P likes this.
  2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Another classic recording-one of my all time favorites ( such beautiful string tone):[​IMG]

3. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I really like this ladies playing so I thought I'd give this a listen. I get the impression she's telling a story in her playing. Sadly she died far too young.

TonyACT and Daedalus like this.
  4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

But which Enigma Variations on vinyl? :D

Rose River Bear likes this.
  5. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Excellent Performances.

[​IMG]

6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I think this was the only Enigma I owned on vinyl.
    I think I got it from my Mother.
    [​IMG]
    Here is my favorite Enigma out of many. Jochum/LSO.
    [​IMG]

Daedalus, Wes H and TonyACT like this.
  7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

All my EV's are on CD ...

8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this 2CD set.

9. Rose River Bear

Spinning Karajan/Bartok
    [​IMG]

Daedalus and TonyACT like this.
  10. Blizzard

Blizzard Well-Known Member

Hi,Guys I'm venturing into the World of classical music coming from Rock/Pop.
    I’d like to tell you what Do you think about High-Resolution files (24/32-48-96-192 hz) and DSD.
    I'll explain better:Talking about Digital Recordings,would say that most of the labels like Decca,Philips, DG, sample the majority of CD in 44/16 redbook audio, or instead that there are few exceptions with excellent recordings sampled at 24/96 and over?
    I'm asking this because I would like to try to figure out if I need a DAC with DSD encodings to fully enjoy the classical Cds
    Thanks

11. Mild Mavis

Just watched "Listening Through The Lens: The Christopher Nupen Films" on BBC iPlayer. The first section is about the coming together of Barenboim, Ashkenazy, Mehta, Du Pre and Zuckerman to give you a flavour. For anyone interested in classical music this is a fascinating documentary. I highly recommend it.
    I'm now going to search out, if I can, some of the films he made about composers, particularly Schubert and Sibelius.

TonyACT likes this.
  12. Mild Mavis

Interesting question and I wish I could help but maybe you'd be better asking in the audio hardware section?

George P and TonyACT like this.
  13. George P

Agreed! :agree:

TonyACT likes this.
  14. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

There is no answer to this question. On the one hand, conversion of the DSD originals to PCM formats is, inherently, lossy. On the other hand, there is good reason to doubt that any such losses are inaudible.
    Do you have any questions/doubts about DSD for Rock/Pop? If not, why not? What is your system?

15. Daedalus

Spinning this from Karajan big box as I get near to the end of the 1960s section.[​IMG]

Rose River Bear and TonyACT like this.
  16. Blizzard

Actually, I wanted to ask if anyone has listened to recent native DSD recordings of classical music and If possible share your experiences.

Listening to Brendel and Perahia Complete Piano Concertos,to my surprise I found that the Audio Files (.WAV) have poor dynamic range.
    I know I know they’re old recordings, But 10.5 of DR is Too low for Classical music
    I've Pop/rock files with 15/20 DR.
    The versions I’m talking about are these:

Mozart "The Piano Concertos - Alfred Brendel Academy Of St.Martin in The Fields Neville Mariner" Philips 416272-2 1985
    Mozart "The Complete Piano Concertos - Murray Perahia, English Chamber Orchestra - Sony Classical 82876872302

Any idea why The tracks lacking in Dynamic?
    Thanks

17. Kal Rubinson

First, one cannot presume that they are lacking in dynamics because some recordings of music like this are of performances of limited or restrained dynamics while others are more robust. That is the performers' choice, in some cases. In addition, the specific ones you mention are older recordings, some of which have been remastered and/or rereleased in new formats.
    For example, with Brendel, my Pentatone versions of these same performances DRs of 12-14 and other versions as high as 16 and none seem lacking in dynamics to me, given Brendel's performance preferences. As for Perahia, my DSD version has DR from 12-14.
    Overall, a scan of my collection reveals that, across all recordings, the DR for Mozart piano concerti averages around 15 with the range from 8 to 19. It is in the nature of this music. Without looking, I am sure that a similar survey of piano concerti by, say, Bartok or Shostakovich, would return much higher values because, again, it is in the nature of the music.

Daedalus, Mild Mavis, TonyACT and 2 others like this.
  18. Mild Mavis

And now for something completely different. Yes, it is Pythonesque but strangely I'm enjoying it even though this vinyl version from a charity shop has plenty of surface noise. (I'll have to try another clean). The music, though off the wall, does not sound discordant to me. Nothing beautiful but some very sweet, charming and humorous " passages. Listening through the surface noise this is an excellent pressing from France by Erato. I can't find a recording date though. And hats off to the musicians.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Martinu, McLover, Daedalus and 3 others like this.
  19. Blizzard

Thank You So Much!
    Can I Ask You Which Mozart Piano Concerto do you have in DSD?It's a native DSD recording or Just an Oversampling from a Redbook audio?

20. Rose River Bear

Spinning Bernstein with NYP doing Ives.

[​IMG]

21. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I have NO idea what either of you are saying, but it sounds fascinating ;)

Daedalus likes this.
  22. George P

[​IMG]

Exciting, creative interpretations.

Daedalus, Mild Mavis and TonyACT like this.
  23. Kal Rubinson

Some yes, some no.

24. Daedalus

Ou la la!

25. Daedalus

This morning. Beautiful![​IMG]

TonyACT likes this.