David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Oogie

Oogie Forum Resident

Garson was playing live with bowie as far back as 1972.

pobbard and markreed like this.
  2. Madrugada Eterna

Madrugada Eterna Well-Known Member

Exactly! Like we get Zeroes (2018) / Beat Of Your Drum (2018) on 7" picture disc. These tracks were also released seperately as digital downloads.

croquetlawns likes this.
  3. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Thank God for that.

scobb likes this.
  4. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

That would be so hologrammic! We could all watch it on our new Parlophone TVC15s.

5. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

I'm not sure this is conclusive proof though :laugh:

Colocally and Etienne Hanratty like this.
  6. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

But Garson wins, by virtue of having been absent during the Brown Period.

Cat People, gomen ne and pobbard like this.
  7. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Is that a racist remark or my lack of fully understanding English ?

8. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

He's referring to the 83-87 albums...

9. sillyboyblue

sillyboyblue Forum Resident

No doubt some appreciate the download option but, for me, the poor audio quality of picture discs makes them fancy collectibles at best.
    Over the years I’ve amassed quite a collection of picture discs, many bought as RSD limited editions.

Most (but not all) 7” releases in the past 10 years have been picture discs and I for one am pleased to see the back of them. I gave up on the “anniversary” picture discs about 4 years ago and just find them to be as tiresome as coloured vinyl.

Now if we could have some lovely black vinyl singles with correct single edits cut as AAA in quality glossy card sleeves, I’d be both amazed and delighted….we can all dream can’t we :laugh:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    croquetlawns likes this.
  10. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

This is nonsense.
    You do know the resolution of a video tape?

The bigger the screen the WORSE video tape looks.

Azorbz likes this.
  11. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I have no problem with picture discs, or limited releases, but as we have seen from the BLA and Mother 7" debacles, they manufacture substantially under capacity. Being a Bowie fan shouldn't be this hard!

croquetlawns and sillyboyblue like this.
  12. sillyboyblue

sillyboyblue Forum Resident

I too have no problem with picture discs or coloured vinyl per se, but I want to have copies that I can play and enjoy listening to, not to just sit in a record box as a pretty collectible (of which I have many :laugh:).
    I’m simply tired of those being the ONLY option.

For example, I have no interest in the coloured vinyl and picture disc versions of “Ultra Vivid Lament” but then I was easily able to buy copies of the deluxe 2 CD edition and the black vinyl LP instead.

markreed likes this.
  13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I despise what the business has become. The occasional Limited Edition - sure. But now it's just part of the sales cycle to produce an initial sales rush. It's pure manipulation. However, a whole lot of music fans have bought into the "collectable" mentality and are happy to leverage it by using music as a monetgary investment. It's not just Bowie, it's everywhere, sadly. If the labels want a healthy, thriving physical environment, then it's got to stop. All core Bowie albums should be easy to find, imo.

scobb, OneLife, Roxy6 and 5 others like this.
  14. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

WE - US - have allowed this to happen.

Just look at this thread. It's good fun moaning about this rubbish, but the less fun side is that people - lots of them - are giving multinational corporations and Bowie's estate LOTS of money for music they have already heard. That is just weird.

Pop records used to be recreational. It was a cheap hobby. Spend a couple of quid and throw it on the player after school, play the tape in the car on the way to work; upgrade and buy a CD to play at the weekend whilst doing the housework; put 20p in the jukebox whilst having a pint. When I was a teenager, on the way to work, I would listen to my Bowie tapes on a cheap walkman-knockoff my mum bought me from the market for a couple of quid (with those leaky foam headphones). Tapes recorded from scratchy and skipping vinyl. I swear to god the music sounded fine - it sounded fantastic. Would listening to those songs from a £300 box set sound any better? Is it more fun? Then I upgraded to the Ryko CDs which remain the only Bowie CDs I own (which I taped and played on the same crappy walkman). People pretending they can appreciate an incremental difference between this and that version are, frankly mental. That is NOT what Bowie records are supposed to be about. How many people on this thread (and others) haven't even opened their previous box sets? Those that do, how often to they play them? I bet its not a lot. It's pop music ffs, it's supposed to be fun.

Is it fun listening to a £300 version of a song you have heard a thousand times and a song that you will never listen to again (some inane irrelevant remix)? For god's sake "why"????.

I've enjoyed listening to I'm Only Dancing with all it's flaws. How enjoyable would it be to listen to Earthling on vinyl when I have already heard those songs? What's new? What is the bloody point?

Thank god this crap is going to die with the generation above me (I'm late 40s). Thank god the generation below me is listening to music the way it is supposed to be - for fun, just on their phones on the bus rather than on their walkmans on the bus. And these kids will be throwing dad's records in the skip when dad snuffs it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2021
  15. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

[​IMG]

CELEBRATE 75 YEARS OF DAVID BOWIE WITH TWO LIMITED-TIME POP-UP EXPERIENCES BEGINNING OCTOBER 25, 2021
    LONDON - 14 HEDDON STREET
    Open Monday to Saturday 11am – 8pm, Sunday 12pm to 6pm
    NEW YORK CITY - 150 WOOSTER STREET
    Open seven days 11am – 7pm

www.bowie75.com

"Now you’ve met The London Boys, things seem good again” & “New York’s A Go-Go” as the David Bowie Estate launches Bowie 75, a year-long celebration marking David Bowie’s 75th birthday, with the opening of two curated experiential pop-up shops—one at the site of the earliest confirmed Ziggy Stardust sighting, and one in the adopted hometown where Bowie’s final album ★ (pronounced “Blackstar”) was created.
    For a very limited window previewing October 25, 2021, 75 days before the anniversary, through late January 2022, the Bowie 75 locations will be up and running at 14 Heddon Street -- the London location where the cover of The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars was shot and 150 Wooster Street — steps away from Bowie’s long-time downtown New York City neighbourhood.
    The pop-ups will offer visitors a unique and immersive career-spanning deep dive into the sound and vision of David Bowie, with features including:
    • Immersive audio and HD video screening rooms in partnership with 360 Reality Audio, an immersive music experience using Sony’s spatial sound technologies. With music in 360 Reality Audio, fans will be able to hear and see Bowie content available for the first time in immersive audio, exclusively in the Bowie 75 locations.
    • Hours of video content including previously unseen behind-the-scenes material, rare footage from the Heathen and Reality eras, and more.
    • Opportunities to purchase limited edition releases of exclusive Bowie apparel and collectibles, as well as limited run LPs and CDs from both the Warner/Parlophone Records and Sony catalogues.
    • Exclusive fine art photography including gallery installations documenting Bowie’s many iconic eras, personae, and Ch-changes.
    • Intimate special guest events to be announced.
    • Fans can place themselves in iconic costumes and set pieces to create fun and shareable social media moments.
    • And more— For store hours, events calendars and other announcements and information, sign up and stay tuned to www.bowie75.com

16. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

that logo is bordering on the Schutzstaffel runes.
    ᛋᛋ

bit of a worry

croquetlawns likes this.
  17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Harsh, but I agree with pretty much everything you've said.

18. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Call me a curmudgeon (and you would be correct to do so) but I would rather have the Hunky Dory box set including Glastonbury 71. Nice try Bowie Estate but no.

OneLife and footprintsinthesand like this.
  19. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

this

20. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I think he means that those albums might have had a faecal element for those who didn't like them much :)

Bandersson and Jonpd like this.
  21. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

That's the company you are keeping by coming here. The majority [aka 'Normal folk'] are happy with streaming and/or the one copy of the physical studio album they bought years ago.

This site captures most of the geeks, collectors [myself included] that buy this stuff. It's always been the same.

scobb, MicSmith, croquetlawns and 2 others like this.
  22. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

The Phil Collins years is what he used himself.

imarcq and Fabrice Outside like this.
  23. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

No not quite.

healter skealter likes this.
  24. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Garson is so overrated, especially by himself. He’s really turned me off him over the last decade or so.

The way he spins it he done more Bowie shows than Bowie

25. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

Bowie did call the 80s his Phil Collins years on the Jonathan Ross Show

"Of the 26 albums I've made I think there were two when I really wasn't involved and that was "Tonight" and "Never Let Me Down", the two follow-ups to "Let's Dance". That period was my Phil Collins years."

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    scobb, croquetlawns and Bandersson like this.