David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

yep, he played that solo on Aladdin Sane, and Bowie fans wet themselves and he has been living off it since. He plays piano on pop songs - it's not the hardest gig in the world, and actually quite difficult to do badly (though Rick Fox managed it).

Mikewest likes this.
  2. APhillyKid

APhillyKid Forum Resident

I agree.
    That broadcast on bowies last birthday was the MIKE GARSON SHOW (featuring the music of david bowie)
    the ego has gotten so huge

Mikewest and WeeSam like this.
  3. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

Don‘t really get your point.
    Music is now cheaper and more accessible than ever via. streaming services.

scenescof likes this.
  4. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Have a chance to pick up a decently priced LP of Black Tie. I'm liking this more than I thought, and the record sounds superb.

Would like to have an LP of Buddha and a complete Outside. I have no interest in any of the other LPs in this set, nor spending that kind of money for it. Sorry for asking... thoughts on wether Buddha or Outside will be issued as standalone?

Azorbz likes this.
  5. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Yep. Thanks to @healter skealter and @karmaman , I now have a massive appreciation for this underrated gem.

6. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Yeah, but I just listened to Lady Grinning Soul today and cried it was so good. [The final time Bowie sings "SHE will be YOUR living-end" gets me every time.] You can't argue with Garson on that record. It would not have been the same. And he was brilliant on Outside.
    He can do whatever he wants to but can never do enough damage to trash that legacy for me.

Ludger, scobb, OneLife and 6 others like this.
  7. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I understand all of the original albums will be released individually. Only the live BBC album and the recall discs will be exclusive to the box.

I think there is still a question mark over whether Toy will be released as a single album as opposed to the Toy boxset version.

8. Cmtroo

Cmtroo Active Member

Yep. I participate in this mania and I 100% agree. I envy my friends who can talk music with me but don't have to have reissues and box sets and the like. It's a sickness.

WeeSam and Curveboy like this.
  9. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

No worries, all the core albums from the upcoming box will be released on their own in both formats next year.
    Only the BBC 2000 live-album and ReCall 5 is exclusive to set - well and maybe the 12" Toy album.

10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

There are also bootleg copies of the BBC Theatre show already in the wild, so it's really only Re:Call 5 that's truly exclusive (which is, as I've noted, the first place that most of its material will be available on vinyl)

Rob Byrne likes this.
  11. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i really wish they'd do a box set of all the ReCall discs on cd and vinyl.
    but of course that'd never happen

12. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

It might. Don't underestimate the powers of the market in a dying industry. Although my guess is all of the ReCall tracks will get dumped on bonus discs, for the inevitable anniversary editions.

croquetlawns and WeeSam like this.
  13. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

In terms of the earlier albums at least, I guess the 50th anniversary releases (eg Conversation Piece and Width of a Circle and whatever else they have planned) are another way of collecting these.

Obviously that's still not a one stop shop for all of these recall tracks!

14. long gone john

long gone john Forum Resident

You clearly know your stuff better than industry experts in video restoration.

Read up on how codecs and compression work - and how much more space there is on a Blu-Ray than a DVD - then come back and tell me you’re wrong. I’ll wait.

scenescof likes this.
  15. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

I know how compression works. I've designed and coded data compression and error correcting routines.

And I know what the resolution of video tape is. It's not high definition. PAL is 625 lines. The horizontal resolution is about 240 lines. What good would a high definition transfer do? The information is just not there. What are you hoping to see?

It has been suggested that AI can be used to upscale the picture, but that just looks weird and smoothed out.

Azorbz likes this.
  16. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

He's kinda good on the title track of that 70s album LGS came from, too.

17. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

What logic would dictate that during a time of shortages and/or less production capacity it would lead to more QC issues?

I can see logic that would lead to less QC issues.

18. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

In a time of shortage the production capacity that remains runs harder to pump out more units to try and meet demand and clear the backlog. Also, because price typically goes up during a shortage plants that can still operate will want to maximise output to try to maximise profit - wouldn't be uncommon in production chains for them to operate longer hours either. At any rate it means more pressure on the workers to get things out quickly, which means more a more tired workforce and under those conditions more mistakes happen.

19. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

That scenario makes sense if there was a shortage of production capacity, NOT due to shortages of raw materials, AND some plants continued to work and accepted the slack. Ie some facilities ramped up production. Did they?

Shortage of production capacity, to me, suggests plants were not able to run at full speed due to staff/material shortages (or blockages elsewhere in the supply chain), which means they would have longer to get things right.. no point going at full speed if it means the plant closes for half the week..

20. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

Anyway, we will see if vinyl produced over the last few months is any worse than normal, the idea it will be is pure speculation.

21. Joker to the thief

Your assuming that shortages are spread equally across the all manufacturers in the industry. This is almost never the case. Usually you get some plants that have raw materials in stock or are able/willing to secure whatever supply is left - due to greater purchasing power or long-standing relationships with the supplier or based on contract situation - and other plants that are more heavily effected - usually smaller players where suppliers consider their business less important in the long term. Those that continue to have supply will run hard. Also, in shortages plants may be willing to accept more offspec material to keep plants running - this is partly because for many plants if you turn rates down (or up) too fast or operating rates go below a threshold it could cause equipment failure - this is particularly true for petrochemicals.

ericthegardener likes this.
  22. Joker to the thief

Just to add, shortage of production capacity means that there are not enough operational plants to meet demand, this can be structural, due to a sudden unexpected demand spike, or (commonly) due to unexpected plant outages (fire/mechanical breakages etc.). Plant outages can be the result of raw material shortages (although this tends only to be in extreme cases, and is usually the result of a supplier further upstream declaring force majeur and usually only impacts that suppliers customers) , but usually then the talk would be of raw material shortages or limited operating rates rather than lack of production capacity.

ericthegardener and croquetlawns like this.
  23. Starmix

Starmix Forum Resident

Wow I thought this was a Bowie Forum.
    Does anyone know when the next staff meeting is ?
    Where’s the canteen?

APhillyKid, Cat People and WeeSam like this.
  24. Joker to the thief

5:15

25. Starmix

Starmix Forum Resident

Cheers I will bring my new Bowie Lunchbox containing my Moss Garden salad and a small pot of ham.