It's October- Horror Movie Month..Whatcha Watchin?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Luvtemps, Sep 30, 2021.

1. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

That’s right. It doesn’t make much sense that even an experienced gun owner would be able to shoot someone right in the eyes from a few feet away, much less a teenager who probably never shot a gun before. But that’s what she does. It makes for a great image of Myers bleeding tears, for sure.

Rough&Rowdy likes this.
  2. Rough&Rowdy

Rough&Rowdy Forum Resident

Yeah, I always liked the bleeding from the eyes. How on earth he managed to continue on in 4 & 5 when he was both charred and completely blind is beyond me!

3. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

I don't know; I'm not buying the "two shots, one for each eye" argument -- I mean, the eyes wouldn't just bleed if they were blasted like that. You'd pretty much have holes punched away in the skull cavity...like big pieces of frontal lobe missing, not injuries that would make the sockets pour blood.

Rough&Rowdy likes this.
  4. Kaskade10729

I'll have to revisit this when I watch the DVD on the 31st after the 1978 original.

But I can't stand when they throw logical continuity out the window -- the reasoning was probably that Rosenthal (even though Carpenter and Hill were supervising the set and produced most of it) figured by the time 1980 or 1981 rolled around, most audiences wouldn't have remembered EXACTLY how that final sequence of the first film played out (unless they revisited it on TV or Betamax/VHS right before seeing the sequel...was VHS even out yet?) so they wouldn't have even noticed these inconsistencies.

Right...makes more sense that it was somewhere above the nose and eyes, but, as you said, there's no hole in the mask....I mean, if you blasted someone in the head like that, there would be chunks of frontal skull and probably brain missing.

5. Kaskade10729

At that point, they were taking a page from the Friday the 13th/Jason Voorhees handbook and turning Michael into an unstoppable superhuman force that was less human than more; Dwight Little, who helmed The Return of Michael Myers, injected this narrative into the plot with various scenes showing Mike being completely unstoppable (we also get an idea of his sheer strength in part four when he first bashes the ambulance tech's head in with his thumb and then completely breaks the kid's neck towards the end on the staircase).

Rough&Rowdy likes this.
  6. Rough&Rowdy

Rough&Rowdy Forum Resident

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about him becoming an unstoppable force of nature. It's ridiculous in a way I can't get enough of.

I'd rather have unstoppable/immortal Michael with no rhyme or reason instead of a backstory like we get in Zombie's movies.

Kaskade10729 likes this.
  7. Kaskade10729

[​IMG]

Rough&Rowdy likes this.
  8. parman

parman Music Junkie

I'm watching Sleepy Hallow tonight if all goes according to plan :chill:

9. Kaskade10729

Just watched the DVD last night...

parman likes this.
  10. TheNightfly1982

TheNightfly1982 Forum Resident

Started my Kolchak the Night Stalker TV series marathon on Blu-ray last night. Tonight it’s the Hammer Horror 8 film Blu-ray set from Universal starting with “Brides of Dracula.”

Karnak, NickySee and Jimi Bat like this.
  11. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

12. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Nice to see a animated film mentioned! Thanks. Here's a taste (first 40 minutes) -

Cool streamer.

misterjones likes this.
  13. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Murders In The Rue Morgue (1932, Robert Florey)
    A mad scientist seeks to mingle human blood with that of an ape, and resorts to kidnapping women for his experiments.
    Based on the classic novella by E.A. Poe this Bela Lugosi (fresh off his stint as Count Dracula) Pre-Code Universal Studios yarn is still great fun to watch. Good print, too.

14. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

:laugh: Is this as funny as the gifs suggest? :)

15. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

i watched another episode of 30 Coins.
    Yes.

NickySee likes this.
  16. Kaskade10729

You NEVER saw this?

An absolute MUST watch.

NickySee likes this.
  17. Kaskade10729

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Karnak likes this.
  18. Kaskade10729

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ghostworld and Karnak like this.
  19. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I like a good quality horror movie any time and usually check on Svengoolie on a Saturday. I watched The Little Stranger recently and enjoyed that. However, I hate how many channels jump on the October is scary month bandwagon like it's a second Christmas where they don't have to think or find anything so much as just throw on the same slate of stuff they ran last October and the year before etc. plus with the Christmas in July business we now get a third month of automatically programmed seasonal movies you've seen listed a bazillion times.

It used to be kids got It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown each year close to Halloween itself, now we're all treated like kids and a month of mostly shown too many times films are dumped onto the schedule for an entire month at the expense of anything else. Get something new at least, but no, I do not enjoy the watch a horror movie or nothing because there is nothing much else on month.

NickySee likes this.
  20. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

That first one kind of creeped me out on first watch. The second one not so much. I see there was a third one released in 2017, never seen it.

Kaskade10729 likes this.
  21. Kaskade10729

Yeah, the original is a kind of modern classic, a la Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead; the second one, with the football douches and cheerleaders on the bus, is passable but didn't really thrill as much as the first one with Long and Phillips. I didn't see the third one, either.

22. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

I watched a couple great ol' standbys last week: "THEM" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

23. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Indeed. The amount of dreck that gets promoted as Horror is, frankly, overwhelming. You really have to search for a film with a decent script and competent execution in the genre. I don’t mind silliness but a mindless film in any genre is discouraging, to say the least. Horror packaging is deliberately misleading. And you can hardly trust recs when it comes to Horror so I use my usual pick-a-spot at any time, 60 second litmus test for an unknown flick and decide from there. :D

beccabear67 likes this.
  24. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Tales From The Crypt (1972, Freddie Francis)
    Five strangers get lost in a crypt and, after meeting the mysterious Crypt Keeper, receive visions of how they will die.
    Classic 70s Horror. Finally getting around to watching this one.

Mesozoic Mike likes this.
  25. I watched Waxwork II on VHS the other night.