Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Smash

Smash Forum Resident

Content-wise this is incredible. Quality-wise the “restoration” job went way too far.

3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

You forgot one Giles-ism
    I’ve taken the liberty to add it to your post.:p

4. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Yeah, I never thought Paul looked good in a beard either.

5. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Not sure if you're being sarcastic. Remember the original source is 16mm film. Considering that it looks incredible!

6. Smash

Smash Forum Resident

Not being sarcastic. The lack of detail is distracting. Agree to disagree though.

Exotiki, supermd, 2141 and 1 other person like this.
  7. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

How so?

8. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

I nearly jumped out of my chair when Paul began talking about a documentary in 50 years time!

ODIrony, Lewisboogie, Lluis and 9 others like this.
  9. Smash

Smash Forum Resident

Perhaps I was too vague with my wording. I specifically meant the grain reduction. The colors look great.

10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

My bedroom looks nothing like that!

11. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Agreed. Thing is, buildings of all types (including studios) have generally gotten a lot more "posh" compared to 50 years ago. People are just more spoiled now. :winkgrin:

12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Excellent, thank you!!

Carl80 likes this.
  13. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I disagree. The Beatles were always used to “posh” surroundings.

For example, even in 1965 the Beatles had a giant stage setup, requiring three semi’s to haul it around and 50 stage hands a full day to set up, state of the art sound and lighting and also, strict security with nobody near the stage .
    ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    jricc, elvissinatra, ODIrony and 11 others like this.
  14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I watched that sneak peek, released months ago, and I thought the footage looked amazing. I did not quite feel the same way with this new clip, due to what I see as obvious noise/grain reduction. Many of the shots shown in this new trailer are NOT crisp. Having said that, I re-watched the sneak peek trailer again on YouTube, then over on Disney+, and the sneak peek looked better on Disney+. I really do think YouTube's compression is hurting the image. To what extent? We won't know until either the doc comes out, or Disney+ releases this official trailer there in higher quality. I really have to place my faith in Peter Jackson not to give us smeary DNR'd faces. I hope it's just YouTube.

Either way, this is magical footage, and I'm very excited.

15. Fab Four Revolution

Fab Four Revolution Forum Resident

Yeah I think they could've left some of the noise in too. I played the Sneak Peek of Get Back on Disney+ a while back and I was able to see some of the grain there, likely thanks to the higher bitrate on there as opposed to YouTube which helped it a bit. But overall, some more noise left would've been nice.

I was also comparing the shot of Billy Preston boogieing in the studio (as both shots were in the Sneak Peek last December and new trailer) to see what they had changed. Alongside a crop to 16:9, they have since then boosted the colours and also increased the sharpness of the image.

Still, can't wait til the end of next month!

steepien and supermd like this.
  16. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Seems the studio model was clinical at best up until the late sixties. Fanciest thing may have been rugs keeping drums from sliding. The Beatles invented “power lounging” until someone said, “lets get furniture!” but by then it was too late. I mean can you imagine Paul playing bass from a lazy boy? ;)

17. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

I’m fairly confident it is YouTube compressing the image, I have Peter Jackson’s “They Shall Not Grow Old” documentary film and it looks better than clips do on YouTube.

18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Even the Sneak Peek video has no grain on YouTube, but grain on Disney+. Fingers crossed.

The only thing I'm disappointed in is getting immersed in the new Get Back book and Let It Be deluxe set, and then having to wait a month to watch this documentary.

19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Where did you find the new trailer on Disney+? I checked 20 min ago and it wasn't on there.

20. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

1+

21. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

It wasn't the same Hohner Pianet though, the one used during the 1965 sessions was a Pianet C (coffee table legs) and the rooftop one is a Pianet N (A-frame legs)

Lewisboogie, funkydude, Onder and 5 others like this.
  22. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Here’s a direct comparison, One frame taken from the 1+ Preview of Get Back, The other from the Peter Jackson preview. Both taken from YouTube at 1080p and only slightly cropped for comparison of detail. 1+ on the top and Peter Jackson on the bottom.

[​IMG]

23. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I'm hoping it's just the trailer...

At the very least, I hope the original film is made available looking like it did in 2015!

C6H12O6, Aoide and supermd like this.
  24. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Not according to the liner notes. And I can’t see how he could be involved anyway, since the results are so poor and he has never been known to “remaster” anything. Who knows WTF Giles is talking about.

Lewisboogie, Onder and lukpac like this.
  25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yeah, YIKES. Hopefully it's the trailer, though I wonder why they'd do this heavy grain removal just for a trailer.

gottafeelin, C6H12O6, lukpac and 2 others like this.