Madonna pushing for Nurse Diesel role in “High Anxiety” remake?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry, Oct 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

I'd take a cardboard cutout of Carson,Rivers.. maybe Letterman :pin the chair for 60 minutes of dead air than to suffer through that imagined horror fustercluck :agree::wave:

kouzie and The Panda like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

All you people discussing a possible "High Anxiety" remake seriously...

...Jerry was just joking because he thought Madonna's look resembled Nurse Diesel's.

There's no remake in the works! :shh:

Bender Rodriguez, Pete Puma and Jerry like this.
  3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Does telling Dick Clark that her ambition was "to rule the world" count?

4. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Whether joking or not, if what I saw of Madonna on Jimmy Fallon episode several days ago is any indication, I don't think she can fit the part of nurse Diesel both in character and uniform. She's gained a lot of weight and doesn't look too Madonna-esque and doesn't have the haggard elderly look of Cloris. Madonna is too pretty with overly smooth skin and very overly pronounced curves around the butt and breasts. She's large and short now.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  5. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

shhh…:shh:

Cyndi Lauper would crush this role.

Oatsdad likes this.
  6. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

She sure showed viewers what she's made of, 'eh?

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'm pretty sure she was serious about that.

The Panda likes this.
  8. You spoiled the fun for some of us Colin. I wanted to see how far this thread could go! :laugh:

Oatsdad likes this.
  9. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I must be missing a good joke. I have no clue about Lorde. I'm guessing it's the singer from New Zealand I see on Google?

10. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Plus, Mel regularly sent Hitch the dailies, and Hitch made suggestions for how to make it funnier.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Why remake “high anxiety” original was awful.

Spokeless likes this.
  12. My "joke" revolved around Madonna's daughter, Lordes....a play on words.

unclefred and Chris DeVoe like this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

I disagree that was awful, but it was certainly weaker than Young Frankenstein or Blazing Saddles, both of which were significantly improved by his collaborators Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. Left to his own devices, Mel had a tendency to Borscht Belt schtick and throwing everything at the wall.

cartoonist and cleandan like this.
  14. When you collaborate with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor you are in very good company to be sure.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

I just realized that Madonna's name for her daughter actually is a joke - named after a town in France where the Virgin Mary supposedly appeared - The Madonna of Lordes.

If that is indeed the case, that is the next level trolling.

16. Chris DeVoe

Each gave Brooks something on which to build a dramatic structure for the film. In Young Frankenstein, the question is "why would a man want to create life" and the answer was so wonderful "This is a good boy! This is a mother's angel! And we love him"

17. I did not know the origins of Madonnas daughters name. I only know her name is Lordes.
    Because the response was "Lord no" in a Madonna themes thread, I figured it kind of fit to joke about the answer being "Lordes no" instead.

If you want to find some other hidden meaning, by all means knock yourself out, but don't hang it on me as a troll.

18. Chris DeVoe

No, I was talking about Madonna trolling everyone.

The Madonna of Lordes, Lordes of Madonna.

It wouldn't seem was so likely if Madonna hadn't used Catholic iconography her entire career.

unclefred likes this.
  19. Okay, thank for the reply.
    I can see Madonna going this far with her kids name just to stroke her own ego.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I get the joke here, but where else can I tell this story? (I wouldn't be surprised if I already have, on some other Brooks thread...)

Right after the immediate success of The Producers musical on Broadway in the early 2000s, Mel Brooks needed someone to go through all of his films and pull out all the song-type musical material from each, so it all could be reviewed - to see what other films of his might also be successfully re-imagined as stage musicals. I know this, because the job fell to me. I was given a stack of VHS tapes (yes, even though DVD was getting into high gear), and I went through each film in my apartment with my trusty stereo VCR, digitized the audio of anything resembling a song, and then burned these songs onto CDs. I think I ended up handing over two compilation discs, of everything from the more well-known ones like "I'm Tired" from Blazing Saddles, to the title song from High Anxiety.

So yeah, High Anxiety was indeed considered - ever so briefly - to see if it could be full musical material, but was quickly rejected. Ultimately, Young Frankenstein was chosen and went into production a few years later.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Spoiling fun is my mission in life! :D

Pete Puma likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

A friend of mine absolutely adores "High Anxiety", and he quoted it so much for so long that I grew to hate it.

However, I eventually was able to divorce my annoyance at my friend from the actual film and take it on its own terms.

I liked it a lot, and it helped that at that point, I knew Hitchcock waaaaay better than I had previously. You don't need to get the references/allusions to enjoy it, but it helps.

I think it's on a par with "YF".

I don't much like "Saddles"! :hide:

unclefred likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

Well, she was raised as part of a very Catholic family. It's not like she glommed onto that imagery willy-nilly - it was a huge part of her upbringing.

And BTW, it's Lourdes! :)

GoodKitty and Grand_Ennui like this.
  24. Oatsdad

I have no idea if Madonna has discussed why she chose "Lourdes" as the name for her first daughter, but I wouldn't assume it was ego.

Lourdes the place is known for supposed miracles, so Madonna may've viewed her first child as a miracle and picked a name to reflect that.

Madonna has been unusually eager to dismiss her own skills to praise her daughter, too:

"“Insanely talented,” Madonna once gushed of Lourdes — whom she affectionately calls Lola — in an interview with British Vogue. “I’m green with envy because she’s incredible at everything she does — she’s an incredible dancer, she’s a great actress, she plays the piano beautifully, she’s way better than me in the talent department.”"

GoodKitty likes this.
  25. Good to know, thanks.

Oatsdad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.