Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I've asked and will share any reply I get.

Acapella48 likes this.
  2. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

This was in my inbox this morning. Interesting read where AI is involved to complete Beethoven's 10th Symphony based on his sketches .

"First, and most fundamentally, we needed to figure out how to take a short phrase, or even just a motif, and use it to develop a longer, more complicated musical structure, just as Beethoven would have done.
    For example, the machine had to learn how Beethoven constructed the Fifth Symphony out of a basic four note motif
    ."
    Warning, the name Karajan appears in this article :hide:.

The article includes a musical excerpt of what the team believed the symphony might have sounded like.

How a team of musicologists and computer scientists completed Beethoven's unfinished 10th Symphony

3. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I do know that Kevin Fiske has recently joined HiFi+ magazine on top of his reviewing for HiFi Critic. Kevin used to have an all Audio Note system and has done a number of reviews of AN gear. Perhaps there will be some showing up in HiFi+ in the near future?

4. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Maybe. I have contacted the magazine and am awaiting a response

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  5. Peter Qvortrup

Peter Qvortrup Forum Resident

Hi Jellis,

We get very few reviews in general, and never offer publications which tie advertising to reviews, either overtly or subvertly :) products for review.

We have had a policy for over 20 years of doing no direct advertising anywhere, instead we attend as many shows as we can, as this is generally far more effective as far as presenting the sound our equipment offers than flowery words in an add and even a good review.

Combined with the fact that we have struggled getting enough products made to satisfy demand (hence the sometimes very long delivery on our equipment) the incentive to throw money at advertising and equipment at reviewers is somewhat limited.

Peter

6. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Hi Peter

Thanks for the clarification. I understand your reasoning on this matter.

I was at the UK show at the weekend and Daniel played some amazing music by a band called Demon Fuzz that I have never come across before. It's always good to hear something new that you like and frankly it doesn't happen often at HiFi shows. He played a wide variety of material all of which came over well - which I guess is the point with Audio Note - it makes all your music sound good, not just a select few recordings.

7. Lau

Lau Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I share with you my new installation which has evolved a lot since the beginning.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

hifisoup, spartree, fcdvpds and 11 others like this.
  8. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

@Lau
    Interesting speaker stands. What are they?

Also, I like the look of your low-slung equipment stands! Very nice.

jonwoody likes this.
  9. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

That looks fantastic Lau! Is that the slate finish on your E's?

10. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    jonwoody and Salectric like this.
  11. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Gjo likes this.
  12. Lau

Lau Well-Known Member

Yes, it is!

jonwoody likes this.
  13. Lau

Lau Well-Known Member

It is the Audio Note Signature stands ; but the speakers are the Spe-HE model (level 3).
    The equipment stand is a Spectral cabinet.

In the beginning, the amp was an Audio Note Soro SE ; now it is a Oto Phono Signature. Great upgrade!

14. rufusblues

rufusblues Forum Resident

Just curious Lau, is that the Oto Phono SE Signature? Awesome system. Is your front end a streamer?

15. Lau

Lau Well-Known Member

Yes, it’s a Oto Phono Single Ended Signature. No push-pull!! ;)
    My music is stored on a Synology NAS DS620, and the DAC is a Chord Qutest.
    I am waiting for an Audio Note USB DAC other than the 0.1x (a message for Peter…)

jonwoody likes this.
  16. Lau

Lau Well-Known Member

Inside it’s a mess…

[​IMG]

hifisoup, jonwoody, scobb and 7 others like this.
  17. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

@Lau
    That’s why cabinets have doors!

jonwoody likes this.
  18. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Nice set of SPx 31 strand speaker cables with Sogon jumpers listed today on Audiogon. 2.5 meters. Fabricated by Nick Gowan.

Just a heads up for folks who might be interested.

I have no relation to the seller.

19. Kevin Fiske

Kevin Fiske Well-Known Member

Guilty as charged, although to be clear one doesn't so much *join* HiFi+ as have one's contributions tolerated by the Editor.

It has to be said that the titles that I have contributed to so far have been relaxed and encouraging, allowing me to evaluate products that interest me. For that I am profoundly grateful.

My review platform has changed recently due to the need to move the deckchairs in response to the impacts of C-19, but also to achieve a system that gives me more flexibility to introduce (and then mostly dismiss) review items.

I not only retain key AN (UK) components in my review platform but regard AN (UK) as one of very few companies - as in finger of one finger - that have properly researched and invested in the entire reproduction chain from needle to speaker cone, and not only that have a unique and proven ability to control and shape the sound they achieve. That's not to assert that other vendors don't make products that have serious merit, or that AN kit and other makes cannot co-exist. It is to recognise that if there is such a thing as an exemplar of the dreaded term *synergy* in the context of home audio, then AN (UK) deserves it. We either like the AN (UK) sound or not. In all the audio shows that I have attended the AN (UK) room has almost always sounded more like live music than any other, to me.

I have reviewed AN (UK) products for HiFiCritic in the past and look forward to pitching further AN (UK) products to the titles that I am allowed to contrubute to.

KF

20. Kevin Fiske

...or even contribute to!

21. rufusblues

rufusblues Forum Resident

Kevin Fiske made two points relevant to my situation. Number One is that I really do resonate with the "Audio Note (UK) sound" and number two is the system synergy which is possible within the context of an all Audio Note system. After over forty years of mixing and matching components - with all the money spent in that endeavor - it's a relief to be out of that merry go round, having now been able to put together an all Audio Note system over the last two years. And the fact that my speakers (AN/J LX) fit nicely into the front corners of my room, is an added bonus; no more needing to place speakers far out into the room for best sound.

22. Kevin Fiske

[QUOTE="....- it's a relief to be out of that merry go round....[/QUOTE]

This.

Thumbs up from me.

Tourswede likes this.
  23. KevC

KevC Active Member

Hi - does anyone have a used pair of AN-K's that they want to part with? Want to listen to them side by side before potentially parting with my J's.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  24. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

So lets back up -- You bought the J's with the intention of mounting them on the wall and you've determined (based on feedback here) that it's not a workable solution- yes? And it appears from this question, that none of the Audio Note dealers in the UK have a pair of K's that you can demo at home?

Looks like there are few listings for AN-K's on Hifishark that may be worth checking: Used Audio Note AN-K LX Loudspeakers for Sale | HifiShark.com

25. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

You are more than welcome to come and listen to my K/LX 2018 vintage, l am in Hornchurch, Essex.

jonwoody likes this.