What's with all the "new" old Beatles news stories lately?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scooterpiety, Oct 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis Thread Starter

For the past several weeks there has been a pretty much constant stream of Beatles "news" items posted by various news outlets including the BBC, CBS, NBC, CNN and that beacon of journalistic integrity, Yahoo News. This week, several of these organizations have reported such revelatory stories as "Paul McCartney says John Lennon instigated the Beatles breakup", "The Paul McCartney song the Beatles despised" and "The Beatles gave a song to the Rolling Stones".
    I'm pretty sure that all of these and several other earth shattering Beatles newsflashes making the rounds lately a have been previously reported ad nauseam. I know there is a lot of new Beatles-related product to promote, but it seems pretty silly to me. What's the deal?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  2. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

Getting ready to simply have a wonderful Chri$$$$$$tmastime. Every year, product to push - rinse and repeat.

3. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

A highly skilled PR team. That's all. Same as it ever was.

Paul is promoting:
    Let it Be
    Get Back
    Lyrics
    Hey Grandude Green Submarine

This is how you do it.

4. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

When Paul and Ringo aren't around anymore, people will ask....where's the Beatle news?

Enjoy the news now, folks. It's short lived.

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Somebody already answered your question but I can't resist the snark.

Little film called Get Back coming out this November, you might have heard of it? :laugh:

Vic_1957, joy stinson and Weirdomusic like this.
  6. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

The sad thing is that Macca will receive more income from this year’s product push than a lot of folks will earn over the next several years… some of it for work performed over 50 years ago.

minglewood likes this.
  7. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

All this stuff, including something I posted this morning that was deservedly zapped, comes from a new interview (released just this week) of at least 10,000 words if not more that Macca did with The New Yorker.

And unfortunately what outlets do these days is something called aggregating, in which to get clicks to their own sites they’ll pull out a few juicy tidbits from someone else’s reporting and post it.

Oh, they’ll credit the other site and offer links, but it’s still a lame and lazy way to do things and IMO it sucks. (I work in the media so I have to put up with such things with our work.)

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

And of course the worst part is once you've taken apart that Russian doll of links to find the original story, all the other sites have already gotten your single click which is all they needed in the first place.

9. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Give the guy a stogie, he gets it.

10. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Next several years? McCartney will make vastly more from 4th quarter earnings than most people on the planet will earn in a lifetime, and likely more than many people in G8 countries can earn in a decade. Add in the fortune he is making by having a songwriting credit on the new Drake album.

11. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Perhaps Macca is in dotage and forgot he already said them multiple times before? :cool:

joy stinson likes this.
  12. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Simple: there’s new product to sell (McCartney lyrics book, Let It Be remix, Get Back film/book). So McCartney is feeding the media headlines to grab attention.

joy stinson likes this.
  13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Its how the Google news algorithm works. It's not just the Beatles, there are endless news stories out there built around some hot quote that someone gave in an interview 30 years ago. If you ever clicked on a Beatles or a Stones or whoever story in the past, you'll start getting zillions of these.

joy stinson and PRW94 like this.
  14. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Here is the actual New Yorker story they’re pulling the tidbits from. It’s actually a good read but be forewarned it’s long form, with the emphasis on LONG. The writer did a good job, at least to me he wasn’t overly deferential. He even asked Macca why he doesn’t lower the keys on his old songs … we all know he needs to … and his response basically was “I can’t be bothered.”

Paul McCartney Doesn’t Really Want to Stop the Show

joy stinson and BeatleJWOL like this.
  15. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

If people only knew what happens every time you click on a link … as noted, I am in the media and my organization is up to its nostrils in such things trying to monetize it enough to pay the bills. But we’re suffering for our arrogance 25 years ago when we dismissed the Internet as a passing fad while people got accustomed to getting content for free.

joy stinson likes this.
  16. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Because they know that there are a bunch of old dudes on the SH Forums needing their fix of pointless Beatles thread starting material? :D

17. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Reporters and journalists ask the same questions to Paul and Ringo over and over and over again. Then they publish the answers as if it's something nobody has ever heard before, complete with a clickbait title. It seems there is at least one Beatles breakup story published every year, promising to reveal what really happened. And surprise... it's the same story we read last year, and the year before, and the year before that.

18. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

It’s good click bait.

joy stinson likes this.
  19. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

This thread is clickbait!

vulcangascompany and joy stinson like this.
  20. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

I’ve noticed…mainly they’re just recycling very old Beatles news…Like Lennon accouncing he wanted a divorce because Beatles would interfere with his and yoko’s planned activities, very old news. I figure this is PR to keep Beatles in the news, possibly for upcoming Jackson LIB.

21. joy stinson

He probably is but has been asked the same questions for many decades so gives the same answers…at least he’s not “changing or revising history”…the usual thing lobbed against him, lol.

TonyACT likes this.
  22. joy stinson

Yep, I’ll definitely be asking this at that time if they die before me…

Old Fred likes this.
  23. Lazerize

Lazerize Forum Resident

The sad thing is that we'll earn so little, not that he'll earn so much.

Would you prefer that more of the money generated from Let It Be/Get Back/Lyrics/Hey Grandude went to the labels and publishers than the people do did the work? Who cares when the work was done? Money is being made off it now, and McCartney and the rest of the Beatles (and Peter Jackson, Glyn Johns, Sam Okell, and Giles Martin and whoever else) deserve to get a cut of the pie. The alternative is that Disney and Universal get a bigger share.

Given how much joy the Beatles have given the world, I think they're the only people who deserve to be billionaires. Particularly when the personal costs incurred by all of them have been so high.

24. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

Nah… no one deserves to be a billionaire, least of all ok’ Macca. And I say that as a Beatles fan.

25. President_dudley

President_dudley Forum Resident

i need to check the weekly flyer for my supermarket

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.