David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Jmetamatic

Jmetamatic This is the end of our oxygen supply.

Don't forget to wear your happy socks.
    [​IMG]

2. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Halloween_Jack and Music Geek like this.
  3. mythnormadman

mythnormadman Someone has to smoke the sky

Current worldwide capacity is circa 160 million units, pipeline demand is viewed as double that. The strength of that pipeline is caused by a sharp increase in sales in 2020 and record companies pushing back release dates. This has all been compounded by COVID and more recently the Apollo masters fire, the texas freeze and no doubt other unforseen events. I suspect this was the cause of era 5 being shifted from 2020 to 2021 and the non appearance of the 40th anniversary scary monsters era picture discs and who knows what other Bowie delights.
    Interestingly nobody seems interested in building a new large plant to attempt to address the demand issue, all the new plants that have come on stream. Parlophone seem to have optimal media in germany as their preferred supplier, which i guess limits their flex to overcome localised problems. I am puzzled as to why Parlophone decided to stretch era 5 to 2001 given the stresses in the system, they could have saved 5 LPs per box which would have made it similar to era 1 in size. Who knows what goes on in their planning sessions!
    Incidentally Billboard reported that vinyl pellets used to make records went up 17% in April. I hate to think what the next Bowie box will cost. The pricing on the era 5 breakouts will be interesting.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  4. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

how much does it cost to press a record? I would suggest a 17% increase in the cost of raw materials would have very little effect on retail price.

5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I'd like to speak to the manager.

6. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Well, it was sort of done for the Kinks’ RSD releases several years running… but they were mostly EPs.

7. sillyboyblue

sillyboyblue Forum Resident

Way back in 2013 there as the “1965” RSD 7” ep
    David Bowie – Bowie 1965! (2013, Vinyl)

Also in 2013 there was the somewhat random appearance of the Toy Soldier 7” ep
    The Riot Squad – The Toy Soldier EP (2013, Vinyl)

But as far as standard UK Bowie single reissues, there’s only been the “anniversary” picture discs.

Fabrice Outside likes this.
  8. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

Short jovial fellow with a big beard - wears a pointy hat. Always giggling.

Starmix likes this.
  9. mythnormadman

It's easy enough to get prices to press records online, albeit not from optimal media. Although that component starts off small in value, as each layer of profit margin is added on it compounds......unless companies in the chain decide to absorb the increase.

10. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

So we have moved from asking people to wake up in the middle of the night to order an empty box to fill up with albums bought (maybe) on other different nights to asking people to travel to London or New York to buy the same "exclusive" items.
    Fantastic. I think the best move for my mental health has been the choice to completely ignore any musical product that is too difficult to buy. The idea of musical products is to allow the music to be heard. The more they do this the more I will end up listening to music only on streaming services.

11. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

You forgot the different exclusive David Bowie Is exhibition vinyl available on some days at the respective museum around the world.

WeeSam, gamuzajoe and Music Geek like this.
  12. Music Geek

****. How will I live without that record?

By the way, I am happy to go to the London pop-up shop once a day, buy whatever you want and sell it to you at 10x the price I paid. I am a true Bowie fan, I will be happy to help.

13. mythnormadman

The Rolling Stones shop in London does mail order, I'd hope it would be the same for Bowie 75, although you would still miss out on the experience elements.

Cat People, Azorbz and gamuzajoe like this.
  14. Music Geek

Do you mean they sell stuff online? Do you mean like Amazon (but just more inconvenient)? Wow.

15. Starmix

Starmix Forum Resident

Hurry though he’s very busy at the moment,you might not catch him.

Joker to the thief likes this.
  16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

No, it’s the Steve Hoffman music forum.

Cat People and croquetlawns like this.
  17. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

oh. how will I ever live?

18. Starmix

Starmix Forum Resident

Why isn’t anybody talking about Steve Hoffman then?:shh:

Cat People likes this.
  19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The keyword 'music' is the clue in that title :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Starmix likes this.
  20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Pop-up shops. What in the world is going on? Just how ridiculous and stupid can the Bowie Estate allow things to get? What's the benefit to the buyers of all this stuff?

Can we all stop with exclusive this, colored that, limited edition nonsense. We're literally at a point where all this limited edition nonsense is only being sold through limited websites - and now on to limited shops that only exist for a day or two. Are we supposed to feel privileged? Are we supposed to get so excited we sleep outside the shop the night before the opening in the vague hope we might be able to pick up a 6 track EP of Is It Any Wonder? WTF.

Frankly, it's embarrassing. I can't visit the Bowie store online because I cringe at all the satin and tat. Just shameful, it really is.

21. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Led Zeppelin fans would've killed for pop-up shops in 2018. Instead, we got nothing...apart from that amazing rug.

22. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Hardly a new thing, Prince had a pop up store in London nearly 30 years ago!

croquetlawns likes this.
  23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Does it matter if it's a new thing? 30 years ago we didn't have the internet, where you can find most everything by typing into Google.

Regardless, it's still ridiculous, imo. They're creating exclusivity from thin air, to the detriment of their customers. Unless you actually manage to be at the right place and time and feel privileged at being given the honor of being in the precense of..... store clerks. Hell, you may be able to buy something no-one else has - oh joy. :(

Who sponsors this type of rubbish, Ebay?

sortvinyl and Azorbz like this.
  24. 22 ziggies

22 ziggies Forum Resident

These kinda pop-up shops could make sense in Barmbek for Lotto King Karl, but this is beyond my understanding.

25. depe

depe Forum Resident