Bill Evans... new Boxset from AP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abor1g, Dec 5, 2009.

1. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

This is my thought, this box is coming out very very soon. Most likely why the big price hike they got word it's almost done. The real fans put the preorder in like yourself, the extras remaining, he's jacking the price up on. This will cut into any flipping profit so it will not let people double their money over night. Just a thought, people paying attention are getting the set at a nice price far better than the secondary market. The ones buying just because they see it's out again and want to scoop them up will have to pay dearly for it.

Jellis77 and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My point is that this has become more about product than the music itself. That is what would upset Evans.

this_machine and mkortjohn like this.
  3. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

lol real fans

4. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

Ah, I’ve been wondering for a long time whether any of the Prestige titles would come back, as I really want a copy of Tommy Flanagan “Overseas.” I guess the answer is no, sadly.

5. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Supply and demand. If you don't want to buy it, someone else will. That just means they wanted it more than you did.

Why is it we have to reexplain capitalism to people constantly on this site?

Fizzle, jbg and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  6. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Super glad I pre-ordered probably a couple of years ago at the $600 price point. I had it on the 2017 release but sold it because I was unemployed. Fortunately I'm in a much better position now.

4-2-7 likes this.
  7. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

As is any price increase or decrease, ever. Duh.

8. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

Do you honestly believe people don't understand supply and demand? Don't be naive. And all those other times you purportedly tried to explain it was a waste because people understood it then too. People understand what they are doing doesn't mean people are going to bend over for money grabs without complaint or discussion

9. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

The way people talk on this forum sometimes, no I don't.

Mike H. and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  10. Swordsandchains

theres supply and demand issues for all their products, that why they increased all their releases by $5. However, really no explanation why this one jumped an additional $240 after that price increase.

And they always say vote with your wallet, and this time i will with AP. Glad to give my money elsewhere.

this_machine likes this.
  11. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

It's nothing to do with "issues." It's what they can sell it at. And more power to them. I'm sure AP couldn't care less, they will gladly sell your set to someone else.

thecomposer10 likes this.
  12. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Reviewing the last few pages of recent posts and trying to separate what came directly from AS vs speculation, all we know for sure is that $900 is the intended price and there is no ETA for repressing more, but if/when they do, it will be limited. @biodawg really is the only one with recent info.

Actually, someone else I know also called them today and confirmed there is no ETA.

What I’m sure they do know is how many more they can press under the existing license - but how they arrive at $900? The supply component is pretty straightforward (available license copies left minus backorders and other committed copies like replacements), but the demand component is what’s hard to speculate on (product page views? retail channel requested qty? discogs asking and sold prices?)

In any case, it seems fair to speculate that the supply will be pretty limited and they perceive the demand to be quite high compared to what they can produce.

4-2-7 likes this.
  13. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Imagine if the rollout for this $900 boxset went as well as the KOB UHQR....:yikes:

Mike H., Dreaddazzman and Mazzy like this.
  14. biodawg

biodawg Forum Resident

The $60 price increase appeared to be due to an increase in cost for them. The $240 price increase appeared to be because they only have x amount of sets available and want to squeeze as much as they can out.

I think it is pretty arrogant to say someone wants it more just because they can spend $900 on the set. Not everyone is able to just slap down $600 let alone $900, regardless of how bad someone wants it. You said that you had to sell your copy because you were unemployed. Does that mean you didn't want it as much back then? Or was it because you couldn't afford it? And by your logic, no one should complain about flippers.

haomingy, AnalogJ, Mike H. and 4 others like this.
  15. Swordsandchains

he just wasnt a real fan back then

16. rexlic

rexlic Forum Resident

O/T, but still Evans related.

My uncle graduated high school with Evans in 1946, in North Plainfield in Central Jersey. I don't know whether Bill ever came back much once he went to school in Louisiana and made his way onto the jazz scene. But the hometown was certainly proud. Back when I was young and stupid--I'm nothing like that now; now, I'm old and stupid--I would go into the North Plainfield library, where there were prominently displayed boxes filled with hundreds of Bill Evans records. And I used to think, Man, just cuz this dude is from here, this is a little much. I mean, who ever heard of this guy?

Aura, Briskit, jbg and 1 other person like this.
  17. We’re going on 6+ pages now of mostly just people complaining about price. The price is now $900. It was available to back order for years at $600. If you really wanted it, everyone on this forum knows the vinyl game well enough to know you should have backordered it. Just get over it already and move on. The entitlement on this forum never ceases to amaze me. “We want everything in unlimited quantities, with perfect playback, visually flawless surfaces, and impeccable sleeves. They better be tip on jackets or I’ll throw a fit. And you better believe if there’s a slight imperfection anywhere to be found I’m demanding a refund. And I want everything for the same price it was 5 years ago.”

I get being bummed about missing out. But all the whining on SHTV in the world isn’t going to change the price. If you really, really want it, $900 is probably cheaper than you will ever see it again. If not - I’m sure we will see future AAA versions of several of these albums eventually. Or you can buy OJCs, 70s 2-fers, Japanese reissues, etc, etc. You could buy standalone AP45s on the secondary market. There’s plenty of options. Y’all act like AP is holding Bill Evans music ransom.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  18. I get what you’re saying but this backorder thing really messes this up. I’d be more sympathetic for AS if they has listed it as a pre order $600 for the last year or so stating a repress was coming in 2021/22 or sone rough date and then raising it later if necessary. . Many of their so called back order listings never actually get repressed so lots of folks simply never believe it’s gonna happen. So they don’t bother buying early.

the listening looks like a maybe thing

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I am surprised that some people think this is the last ever audiophile edition of this period of Bill Evans, the last chance. There will be others, probably by other companies too.

mkortjohn and 4-2-7 like this.
  20. Yeah, unfortunately that is just how AP does things. It was the same way when they did the BN represses. They don’t charge til it ships, so back ordering poses no risk.

I don’t think the Prestige monos, for instance, will be coming back, but I still have all the ones I still need on back order just in case. Because if they do come back they will probably be over $35. Plus I want to be first in line to get a copy.

Pro tip: place your back orders with an order of in stock items that cross the threshold for free shipping. If you do that, your backordered items will ship free if/when they restock.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  21. Swordsandchains

if it was an actual preorder, with a eta date, i 100% wouldve preordered.

but the whole “give use your credit card info and we wont charge you for it now but when its ready we will charge you for it, that could be 3 weeks, 3 months or maybe even 2 years away, but youll know about when you get an email from Mastercard asking about a $600 charge!”

that method just doesnt work for me. If you guys have endless money to throw around and can randomly afford $600 at any day at any point, im happy that you have made it to that point in life, and im honestly a little jealous.

22. Agree that’s wonky imho

23. biodawg

biodawg Forum Resident

Same for me. If this was in stock or had a set eta, I probably would have ordered. But to have a $600+ pre order for who knows when is less than ideal.

And I think the suggestion of entitlement is dead wrong. We aren't saying we want this for $200. We are frustrated that it had two price increases within a matter of less than 2 weeks. I don't think anyone here had a problem with the $60 price increase, it was expected.

Mazzy likes this.
  24. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Yes it absolutely means I didn't want it as much back then as I do now. I wasn't concerned about high end audiophile music when I was too busy worrying about my finances. That's just simple Maslow's hierarchy.

No, I don't have a problem with flippers. That's a natural byproduct of a free market. And thank God we have a free market.

I was admittedly being very simplistic in my comment about supply and demand. I should have added "all else being equal."

Anyway, I don't blame Chad at all for seeing what this set sells for in the secondary market and raising the price. Why would he want that extra cash going to flippers?

4-2-7 and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  25. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

It’s been listed at $600 for 11 years it was kind of cheap even for the standards back then. In this day of $75-$100 single albums, the $900 price is reflective of the current market. The secondary market has no troubles selling them used at that price.

Greenmonster2420 and musictoad like this.