Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I used to listen to those guys all the time. :) I once donated to their podcast, and they very kindly sent me a John Lennon Funko Pop figure, which I have on a bookcase next to my bed with my headphone dac and amp, and green/orange Rubber Soul lava lamp!

faceinthecrowd likes this.
  3. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

I don't want to get into the picture quality discussion. I want to focus on the content - which has me blown away. I honestly got emotional watching it. I've always written off the Let it Be sessions as my least favorite - not my least favorite songs necessarily - just the sessions I don't like to revisit because they always depressed me. This kind of bring a whole new light to them - not all rosy and fun, but maybe not all gloomy and dark either. I like the concept of counting down to the concert that no one knew what it would be.

So much pressure they put on themselves to produce new songs after having just released a double album. And to get the Let it Be and Abbey Songs out of these sessions.

I wonder what would have happened if they just took a damn break instead and refreshed. But, at the same time, I'm glad that they did what they did.

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Two months doesn’t seem like enough time to relax from recording a double album, plus write a new batch of songs! John especially was going through a lot at the start of this. I can understand that dealing with court cases doesn’t exactly leave one full of “vim and vigor,” as he put it.

We’re going to be treated to a lot of great moments in the film.

5. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

So, do we know for sure that the finished film has this grain-reduction process applied? Might it not just be the trailers, to look better on YouTube or whatever ...?

6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I like my video the same as my audio - unfutzed!

7. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

I'm hoping the 'I'll play anything you want me to play, or I won't play at all, if you don't want me to. Whatever it is that would please you, I'll do it.'' makes it into this film but that that show the whole thing (even though it involves Paul talking about itchy private parts).

I have a feeling that all of the tension and fighting would look very mild to other bands who had real blow outs.

8. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

That brings back great memories. I still have mine.

fishcane likes this.
  9. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

I think you can rest easy---PJ will never get his perfidious paws on that one!

joy stinson and ODIrony like this.
  10. Ryan Bedlack

Ryan Bedlack Forum Resident

WOW! I must have watched the trailer 43 times today. It's...beautiful. I keep getting goosebumps. I can't believe this is finally happening. I'm just so happy

11. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

George quitting the band is in the film, so one can conclude the argument would be there, in all likelihood.

12. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

just wanted to say that.... THIS,...this forum, is one of the really cool things about the world wide web. I'll have this thread for a long time to come, to be immersed in this subject. No way I will keep up with every post or page, but, when I want to dip into it, I can. With others who are as excited as we are all. Or ones who aren't, or wanna complain, or argue 'bout stones and beetles. I love it, actually. I enjoy when the discussion goes off into nooks and cranies that only we would get. Record collecting and music appreciation, for me, makes the world so much better than a lot of other things in life. And Who would-a thunk it, huh? 6 hours, or whatever it is!! Kinda momentous.

Anyway, so it's cool to communicate with everyone on here. SHF is my only source for exchange with humans.

blah blah blah....

13. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Capturing the 16mm film in HD is not “blowing it up” but converting it from 4:3 to Widescreen through cropping is.

lukpac, Beatle Ed 2021 and davenav like this.
  14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

So not a “Have You Heard the Word” fan I take it.

joy stinson, zobalob, ODIrony and 2 others like this.
  15. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

There’s no way to know absolutely for certain about what the final film will look like until it’s released but having a heavily denoised trailer and sneak preview and a series with full intact grain seems a bit like a color trailer for a black and white movie.

lukpac, steepien and thrivingonariff like this.
  16. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

It's not as if he's kept his penchant for extreme restoration a secret.

Anyway, I loved King Kong Production Diaries - I'll love Get Back too.

supermd and thrivingonariff like this.
  17. hidlive

hidlive made you look

18. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Looks like Jackson's film crops and blows up the image to accommodate today's 16x9 screens. Here's a direct comparison with the same frame in the trailer, re-framed so that they both match, but I increased the color saturation on the 1+ image. It was nudged up just a touch but it makes a huge difference.

[​IMG]

I like how they re-colored the film but the de-graining is gross. The carpet's not exactly the focus of attention, but it shouldn't look like an enormous rubber mat.

vivresavie, lukpac, Lownote30 and 7 others like this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The photo on top looks so much more natural. His jacket (the one he’s wearing) looks like it went from cloth to satin. The bottom looks disgusting by comparison. Great carpet observation.

vivresavie, lukpac, lobo and 3 others like this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It was probably remastered by Showell

supermd likes this.
  21. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

What a great photo. Never seen it. Speaks so much. Not too often have I seen from this angle the way the crowd looks. Looks too small to be U.S.?

Glenn Christense likes this.
  22. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

We get footage not seen in 50 years, hours and hours in great quality of historic footage but it’s had its grain removed and now looks too good.

Tough crowd.

Ps I for one will welcome our new non grainy Beatles footage

23. Gnome de Plume

Gnome de Plume 12 HOT hits for a COOL penny!

OMG! That looks horrible. Look at those windows. They made the studio glass Coke bottle green. Everything, including the people, looks waxy. What a disappointment.

24. steve_miller

steve_miller Forum Resident

Can't imagine that to be true.
    What about the letter he wrote demanding changes ?

25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I’m pretty sure it’s been documented that Paul heard it with a window for changes, but he declined, and once it was released, he bad mouthed it. Others here know more than I do, but I believe that was the gist of it. For all his complaints about Spector’s stuff, he had his chance to make a change in 1970 and passed on it.

26. supermd

supermd Senior Member