Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes, I agree. So much to look at.
    Milan, Italy…June 24th, 1965

2. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

It's reassuring to see other people are noticing the heavy handed DNR and smoothing on this trailer. There was a discussion about this in the sneak peek thread in December, starting with:

vivresavie, C6H12O6 and supermd like this.
  3. Glenn Christense

Yes, I would assume, and maybe I’ve read it in the past, that Paul would have had to sign off on the release. I can’t remember.

zobalob and supermd like this.
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I wanna say @Arnold Grove knows, but I don’t want to take him away from whatever sick hobby he is currently engaged in. ;)

zobalob and Glenn Christense like this.
  5. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

It's a lifestyle, not a hobby.

6. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

If I'm remembering correctly, Paul's justification after the fact was that the other Beatles were pressuring him to sign off on the album and he didn't want to delay the release of McCartney by retaliating.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    supermd likes this.
  7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Interesting. The thread about the Get Back series in the Visual Arts forum seems to be showing a fairly different reaction to the video clips.

zobalob and Lewisboogie like this.
  8. Gnome de Plume

Gnome de Plume 12 HOT hits for a COOL penny!

It appears he used some kind of artificial intelligence to upscale and smooth the images. Those screenshots almost look like CGI.

vivresavie and lobo like this.
  9. Glenn Christense

Here’s a bit more background info re: Wiki

According to author Peter Doggett, McCartney had felt the need to accommodate his bandmates when accepting Spector's version of Let It Be; but, following his announcement of the Beatles' break-up in a press release accompanying the release of his debut solo album, McCartney, on 9 April, he repeatedly listened again to "The Long and Winding Road" and came to resent Spector's additions.[30] On 14 April, with manufacturing underway for Let It Be, he sent a terse letter to Klein, demanding that the harp be removed from the song and that the other added instrumentation and voices be reduced.[31] McCartney concluded the letter with the words: "Don't ever do it again."[32] Klein attempted to phone McCartney but he had changed his number without informing Apple; Klein then sent a telegram asking McCartney to contact him or Spector about his concerns. According to Klein, "The following day, a message was relayed to me [from McCartney] that the letter spoke for itself."[33] With Let It Be scheduled for release in advance of the film, Klein allowed the production process to continue with Spector's version of "The Long and Winding Road" intact.[34]

BeatlesBop, joemarine and supermd like this.
  10. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Anyway
    Most if us here seems to enjoy the content of the trsilee. We ll have to wait a while but it sure looks promising
    The image-quality discussion -enlightning as it might be is also proof that for some fans the glass will always be half-Empty
    Thst said with all respect
    :):):)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    milco, sbeaupre, ODIrony and 6 others like this.
  11. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

For someone that was happy watching old VHS tapes of washed out black and white footage this new trailer is just mind-blowing... Can't wait for this. I wish I had more excitement for the audio box..

12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Thank you! It still kinda sounds like Paul was trying to make a point and be stubborn.

zobalob and Ken Wood like this.
  13. Glenn Christense

I think so also.

zobalob and supermd like this.
  14. steve_miller

steve_miller Forum Resident

Don't forget El Kabong

ODIrony likes this.
  15. steve_miller

steve_miller Forum Resident

My 2 cents. Doesn't matter much which version you prefer.
    They give you the 2 tracks from the 70 version on the EP. you can roll your own...
    I like the 70 version better also. Hated Teddy Boy for one, would rather have oldies in place of it.
    The 2 new tracks make a stronger lineup.
    Plus I always felt this LP was 'light' There should have been 12-14 Tracks. Dig it and Maggie don't count. I like 'em, but they don't count.

And just to keep this thread redlining......

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    C6H12O6 and supermd like this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I’ve said it before: ditch “Dig It” and “Maggie Mae” and add “Don’t Let Me Down.” Boom, much better album. That easy. That’s a large part of why “…Naked” is better to me.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    fogalu, C6H12O6, ODIrony and 10 others like this.
  17. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I didn't notice it at first sight, but you're right. There's an artificial look to the new trailer. Still it looks better than the grainy (there's the word ;)) bootleg copies I have somewhere.

Lewisboogie, bhazen and supermd like this.
  18. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Not almost. They look like CGI. Distracting. But can't wait to see the new film!

19. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Back and to the left...back and to the left...

20. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Exactly the same complaints were made about the sneak preview last year.

C6H12O6 and Bemagnus like this.
  21. Smash

Smash Forum Resident

For the record, I'm ecstatic that this is even coming out at all. I also enjoyed Frank Zappa's Roxy movie even though it has the same problem. Not a glass half-empty fan.

Some people can look past certain things. I was able to look past whatever faults the All Things Must Pass remix had.

22. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

You think the image quality is poor, that isn’t a fact but an opinion.

The director has taken the view that this is the best way to represent the film that he is working with and he actually has the raw materials in front of him.

I’m not ignorant in any way here - seen the original film, the 1+ versions etc, and I think this is the best looking option.

it’s not perfect but I’ve never seen a perfect looking version of the Let It Be footage.

jacden, brettb33, zobalob and 8 others like this.
  23. Henrik Jutbring

Henrik Jutbring Forum Resident

Word! I share and like that attitude very much. Maybe because I remember the poor pre-Anthology days when Past Masters and the Imagine Soundtrack felt like revolutions.

brettb33, joemarine, LSP2003 and 3 others like this.
  24. appleboy

appleboy Forum Resident

Well said - every Beatles issue seems to be met with a small circle of people who think they know better than Giles Martin or Peter Jackson - not to mention the artists who sign these off - Paul, Ringo and the estates of George and John.

25. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

But we know that the Sneak Preview seemed to have more grain on Disney + than on Youtube.
    And I suspect you know that keeping full grain was never going to happen.