'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. RyeB

RyeB Forum Resident

Hmm you think you could get that percentage of fidelity? I have no idea, myself. Interesting idea.

Jcashfan likes this.
  2. RyeB

RyeB Forum Resident

Phenomenal recording. It's really "bucks" the analog trend. It sounds fantastic. Goes to show how great a record can sound if it's recorded well.

3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Based on what I heard from my Nak MR-1, while very good, streaming Qobuz on my Naim NDX2/XPSDR provides much better music fidelity, even with analog sources. IMHO

I was glad to take an offer of $500 for the deck, and it went towards other improvements to my system.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

So help me god, I just ordered one.

uzn007 and mikemoon like this.
  5. getitshorty

getitshorty Forum Resident

12 slabs of new vinyl....you'll need his/her/their help to make sure all in good nick....

I'm just jealous though...

CBackley likes this.
  6. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I know. I’m certain at least one will be terribly warped. I just hope for no scratches or non-fill.

7. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

That’s why I ordered two copies. If one is bad, I can make a good set, and return the other to Amazon for refund. If the first is good and I don’t have to open the second I can return to Amazon, or hang on to it for resale later. As for warps, I’m glad I don’t have to worry about that any more.

Hell, I just spent $200+ on IPAs. What’s another $250 for records? LOL

Joti Cover, Bigdz68, Aura and 8 others like this.
  8. Jack Francis

Jack Francis Forum Resident

kubernetes-eastus2-95664
    Yeah, I do think that. With caveats:

- You have to have an excellent 3 Head recording deck, and take the time to bias every tape. Like, every single cassette, not just set the bias once for every tape flavor (e.g., TDK D-90, Maxell XLII). Sometimes you'll get lucky and a run of tapes are consistent enough where you are able to calibrate bias just once, but it's worth it in my experience to check with every tape. Btw @Josquin des Prez's old MR-1 is an outstanding deck.
    - You have to use decent tapes, and record them hot, just to the point of not saturating. This takes lots of trial/error.
    - The whole thing is massively time consuming. I love every part of it (I'm defective in that way) but don't let anyone tell you that the cassette world is a simple one.

I do all of the above primarily for being able to take my music on the road, and secondarily for low-impact background listening. In the not-too-recent past, it wouldn't make sense think that "substituting" records for cassettes make sense due to the cost and pain of acquiring an restored deck and the price of NOS blank cassetes (or currently produced Recording The Masters Type 1). But what's changed in the past couple years is the appreciating value of near mint, desirable records. If you have 100 or so of those that you like but not enough to strain the overhead of your very large overall record collection, you can pretty easily turn those records into $5-10k (I'm talking about in the U.S., the secondary market may not be as productive in other parts of the world). If I could turn records I like but don't love into $10k, and then still get to listen to them converting $3k of that into a functional cassette setup... well that could tempt some folks.

RyeB, mktracy, Dai and 1 other person like this.
  9. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

are all tone poets delayed- BN offical site has em all under "TBA"-- Is mobley / curtain call no longer early Nov? thx

10. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I think the answer is yes the're delayed and yes Curtain Call probably won't be out by early Nov.

11. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

oh no

12. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I'm confident it'll come out eventually, and maybe they'll surprise me and get it out sooner rather than later, but my understanding is that the vinyl supply chain is pretty backed up.

chewy likes this.
  13. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

SUPPLY CHAIN!!!!!!!!! :eek: omg Nora O'Donnell was right tonight about how Supply Chain problems are affecting things--- now it's gettin' real

Biff Jones likes this.
  14. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

'Love the one you're with' chewy.

15. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I don't think so. I have a Nak Dragon in perfect condition and it does not record at 90% of my LP setup. If you are going to bother to do that get a reel to reel and record at 15ips. I have done some of this and you can achieve 90% that way.

mktracy, uzn007 and trd like this.
  16. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I have both a high-end reel and high-end LP setup. Tape is 1000x less of a pain. Mount the tape, rewind, play. Other than cleaning the heads there is nothing else to do. Everything with a turntable/arm/cartridge requires time and patience, especially if you make any changes.

Having said that, I love playing records.

AnalogJ, G E and trd like this.
  17. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

1. Dexter Gordon
    2. Wayne Shorter
    3. Jackie McLean
    4. Kenny Dorham
    5. Lee Morgan
    6. Joe Henderson
    7. Herbie Hancock

mktracy likes this.
  18. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I love how this thread is all over the place some times. It's more informative than the 8 o'clock news.

And I'm not being sarcastic.

rockness87, miq2son, Swann36 and 4 others like this.
  19. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Luckily this set has gotten pretty stellar QC reviews. It is always a risk with a box set but hopefully even if replacements are needed it is not completely sold out right after receipt. I will try to listen to min over the course of the first week.

20. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Wayne Shorter shows up on a lot of top 5's and it's no surprise. The man is a musical genius. His mid-60's output is astonishing. No less than 8 top-tier records, and if you include Miles' 2nd Quintet, it's well over a dozen. And I'm probably just scratching the surface considering other releases where he's appeared. I've just begun to stretch out beyond this magical period and would appreciate if any of you aficionados could recommend some of his output which you feel is equally engaging, and possibly worthy of a re-issue.

21. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

I believe early November was the date planned when the list was first released in the spring, since then there's been delays of about 2 months, in addition to the current one which we don't know the length of. As there two rounds of releases before the Mobley/McLean ones, which don't have dates yet, I would estimate the earliest we can hope for for those titles would be ~Feb - March. That's if the next round gets announced soon, and the release schedule remains at 2 per month.

mktracy likes this.
  22. RS2099

RS2099 Forum Resident

So if the November scheduled releases are delayed, the repress of previous albums (yes "Chet Baker Sings", I'm talking to you) must be even more delayed... :(

Swann36 likes this.
  23. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The V.S.O.P. group was initially planned as a one-off (Very Special One-time Performance) reunion of the Miles Davis Second Great Quintet. But Miles had been in his "retirement" period and he felt his chops weren't up to snuff, so he declined. They got Freddie Hubbard instead and, later, Wynton Marsalis. Obviously they enjoyed playing together again so much that they kept it going for several tours. Those records are great. Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Tony Williams.

Weather Report was Shorter's main gig for several years after he left Blue Note. If you like fusion.

I'm less familiar with Shorter's output on Columbia, but I'm sure it's worth exploring.

His 1+1 album, on Verve, with Herbie Hancock is stunning. It was recently reissued in the Story of Herbie Hancock Anthology from Vinyl Me, Please. You can probably buy it separately from a reseller who's split up the box.

His recent quartet with Danilo Perez, John Patitucci, and Brian Blade, has done some of his best-ever work. It's similar to his mid-60s work, but played on a knife's edge. They never rehearse and never know what they're going to play before they set foot on stage; it's the height of jazz improvisation as conversation, and highly, highly recommended. Look for these records on Verve and Shorter's return to Blue Note.

Rekkerds, mktracy, Dai and 4 others like this.
  24. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

i haven't read that, but is it as bad as the end of Straight No Chaser (movie) where they show his funeral and they show him in the casket?
    that really kinda ruined the movie for me. i'm not saying they should have left that out of the film, but.. they should have left that out of the film

25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

It's most likely the best recording (SOTT Vol 2) with a digital step that I have heard this way. I listened to it again last night and just sat back and marveled at the sound and performance. Joe Henderson is simply amazing. Pulling out Vol 1 for later today. Its been a while and I know it's a great one as well, but not in the same league as Vol. 2.

edit - if anyone does not have State Of The Tenor Vol. 2, it's a must have from the series and belongs in anyone's collection that is a fan of Smokin' Hot Joe!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021