New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

I think the same and not just in valves. Big famous audio brands in general.

2. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

In fact, I've tried a Mullard ECC35 and, eventough I liked it, I don't find it worth the price. I prefered the very rare Amerty-Mullard 6C8G that cost me $15. It seems it's a prototype as I can't find it worldwide. I really want a spare pair. I bought, for the same price, an RCA 6C8G to try if it sounds at least close.

Both valves (the Mullard and the Amerty) are pretty similar in tone and soundstage, being the ECC35 is a bit smoother and the Amerty more alive and engaging. The last one is a perfect match with system and todays valves, wich is neutral with a little tendency to smoothness

Nevertheless, I can believe the ECC35 could be a good match for the RCAs 805 as the RCAs are a bit sharper and maybe faster than the ACMEs as some others have said. I don't know and I won't try as I have two pairs of ACMEs 805 and I hope they will last long.

Here are some pics of the Mullard and the Amerty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    jonwoody likes this.
  3. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

Look like RCA made, check here: The 6SN7 Identification Guide
    Very close mirrored round plates with 2 small round holes.

Pedro Guillemain likes this.
  4. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Well, I've just got my RCA 6C8G and it looks pretty different on the inside. I will try it next month and I will post my impressions.

Here are the pics of the RCA (I'm sorry for the reflexes):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jonwoody and thomaskong like this.
  5. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

I won these ECC32 the other day and the seller cancelled my order after the auction ended...:biglaugh:

[​IMG]

6. Rodney Ulbrich

Rodney Ulbrich Well-Known Member

Looking for some info , I got a LM845 P and wanted to try EML 300 XLS but Im concerned because the 300 XLS is diffrent than a normal 300b .The 300 XLS draws 1.5 amp does anyone know if the 300b filament transformer can handle this .

7. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  8. thomaskong

I also got RCA and Sylvania 6c8g tubes.

Initial impression of RCA 6c8g is quite positive slightly warmer than RCA 5692.

9. thomaskong

Russian Song called Larrisa;s Romance

https://youtu.be/uE1eFKG6RCU

Tender Trap by Frank Sinatra

Source Cocktail Audio 50x d server

EMMlab Dac2

Freya pre fitted with Sylavania and RCA 6f8g's

Line Magnetic 508 fitted with RCA 805, EML 300b, Melz 1578, RCA 6c8g

Altec A7

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    paul dreher and jonwoody like this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

That's rotten. Which seller is it? Under the circumstances, that's perfectly OK to mention who it is who'd pull such a stunt.

11. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

At least he helped me to save USD381...:biglaugh:

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

That's a great price for a pair of Mullard ECC32s. My favorite tubes in the 6SN7 and 6SL7 positions, by far.

13. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

UPDATE - 6CG7 / 6FQ7 / ECC804

1.. 6CG7 - Early version with shield (direct substitute for 6SN7 with adapter)
    2. 6FQ7 - Later version without shield (direct substitute for 6SN7 with adapter)
    3. ECC804 - Described as the European version of 6CG7 on steroids (Note: All ECC804 are made by Brimar and NOT electrically same as 6CG7, use at own risk)
    *** All three use the same 6CG7/6FQ7 to 6SN7 adapter

Tubes Rolled - Added new tubes and info:

1. Raytheon 6CG7 (Blk Long Flat - US made glossy black plate, later Japanese made is Grey Short Box)
    2. RCA 6CG7 (Grey Long Flat - top getter. There is another clear top version. Early version black plate, later grey plate)
    3. CBS/Hytron 6CG7 (Blk Round - made by GE, same etched font and labeling style on "6CG7" as GE 6CG7, pin ridge between pin 1 and 9)
    4. Tung-Sol 6CG7 (Blk Round - not to be confused with CBS/Hytron 6CG7, suspected to be made by RCA, has the classic RCA's banner frame and font on etched "6CG7". No pin ridge between pin 1 and 9. It is said that there is another version of TS 6CG7 with double top mica)
    5. Toshiba 6CG7 (Grey Long Flat - all Toshiba has holes on the lower mica)
    6. Toshiba 6FQ7 (Grey Short Box - all Toshiba has holes on the lower mica)
    7. Hitachi 6CG7 (Blk Long Flat - most Hitachi has green marking inside of glass between pin 1 and 9)
    8. Hitachi 6CG7 (Grey Long Flat - most Hitachi has green marking inside of glass between pin 1 and 9)
    9. Mitsubishi 6CG7 (Grey Long Flat - made by Hitachi, has green marking inside of glass between pin 1 and 9)
    10. Matsushita 6FQ7 (Grey Short Box)
    11. NEC 6FQ7 (Grey Short Box - embattled on one side of the plate)
    12. Brimar ECC804 (Blk Short Flat)

Extra note:
    1. It is believed that all Japanese made has seam from top to bottom on glass.

14. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Wow Tony, that's A LOT of tubes for rolling.

Wich ones were your favorites on the 6SN7 slot of the LM-508?

Ontheone likes this.
  15. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

If you are really picky, must have the best, go for black long flat plate. Either RT, RCA, Toshiba or Hitachi, these are all good. Nevertheless, I can live with grey long flat plate if you can find them cheap. For instance, I can get 3 pairs of Hitachi or Toshiba grey long flat compared to 1 pair of RT US made blk long flat. I found the blk round plates (TS n CBS) and short box plate are a bit dry for my liking. YMMV. Good luck and enjoy!!!:laugh:

P.S. cant say for SYL n GE flat plate as there are mixed opinions from users, have not try them myself. Lastly, my Amperex 7119 has just arrived today, going to have fun again...:biglaugh:

16. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

[​IMG]

Amperex PQ 7119 (Made in Holland)
    Wow...not bad at all, like it a lot. Great soundstage, smooth high and mid with great clarity, airy and balanced, magic in upp bass with amazing extension, tight bass. Looking to get at least another pair...:biglaugh:
    Have two pairs of famous RT 5687WA arriving soon, will compare and share thoughts later.

Note: Not to be confused with adapter for 6CG7, this uses 5687/7119/E182CC to 6SN7 adapter.

17. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Just thought I'd share a listening impression on the LM805ia. When I first received my 805 over a year ago I quickly compared the sound running it as an integrated vs using my VAC Ren MKV linestage through the "pre in" input. At the time it wasn't even close - the sound was more dynamic, holographic, and carried a larger soundstage using the VAC pre. Well for kicks today I reverted back to integrated amp mode and was shocked that it now sounds overall better as an integrated than tethered to the VAC pre. So what had changed in the meantime? Tubes! I don't think I was using all stock tubes when I reached my initial conclusion in 2020 but I'm certain I didn't have the ACME 805 tubes in place nor did I have the Tung Sol 6SN7GT round plates rolled in. While I may be giving up a tad bit of air and holographic imaging compared to running the VAC pre I feel that now the sound is much more impactful, faster, more coherent, textured, and tighter while running as an integrated. It's also quite a bit quieter (which was initially as well last year). I'm also running the EML 300b XLS pair and a Mullard ECC35 - both of these sets I believe were the same as last year when I did the initial comparison.

Anyway, I was surprised that tube rolling actually affected the dynamics of whether to connect to a separate linestage or not. Really digging this latest discovery ;)

18. thomaskong

I went thrugh same route.

I also favor integrated which give more dynamic and balanced sound.

RCA 805, EML 300b, RCA 5691, Melz 1578

19. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Raytheon JRP-5687WA (1959) - Black Short Box Plate, Halo Getter, Orange Print
    (5687/7119/E182CC to 6SN7 adapter required)

Comparing to Amperex 7119,
    - both have great soundstage
    - RT has slight better holographic sound than Amperex
    - both have very rich and fluid high and mid with great clarity
    - both have very good and tight bass
    - both have great balance from high to bass
    - Amperex has slight more forward mid
    - RT is slightly warmer than Amperex
    - RT has slight stronger upp bass than Amperex

In general, they are very close and I like both a lot. If I have to choose, Raytheon JRP-5687WA will be one of my favorites in my collection so far.

20. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

My apology, I have to add:
    - Amperex has more extension on high

Pedro Guillemain and Ontheone like this.
  21. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Well, that's good to know. I think I will try again. Thanks

What about detail and layering? How expensive is your VAC pre?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  22. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Hi Tony
    How these compare to the best 6CG7 you have tried?

23. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

I'm sorry, stupid question.

24. thomaskong

25. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

It really depends on your personal preference, setup and music genre. In general, comparing Raytheon JRP-5687WA to Raytheon 6CG7 (blk glossy long flat plate),
    - RT JRP-5687WA has better holographic, wider and deeper soundstage
    - RT 6CG7 has more extension on high
    - RT 6CG7 has slight better clarity on vocal
    - RT JRP-5687WA has more weight and warmer
    - Both have good and tight bass

Hope that helps. Anyway, I enjoy both sonic signatures.