Beatles - Get Back new book

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jricc

jricc Senior Member

The lobby cards DO look cool

2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Got my Costco copy today. As I left, the person who checked receipts looked approvingly at my purchase and said “That was my first concert.” I assume he meant The Beatles in general (most likely their ‘65 Minneapolis Met Stadium date) and not specifically the Rooftop show. But I suppose it’s not impossible…

3. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Costco in Santa Cruz had a bunch of them.

supermd likes this.
  4. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

<shudder>... :yikes:

Ms. Daisy and keyse1 like this.
  5. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

And from the first time that she really done me
    Ooh she done me,
    She done me good
    I guess nobody ever really done me
    Ooh she done me,
    She done me good
    :cool:

NumberEight likes this.
  6. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Sorry if this has already been asked but can anyone tell me the date when the last two photos in the book were taken? Paul has shaved his beard, so I'm assuming sometime in February.

psubliminal likes this.
  7. steve_miller

steve_miller Forum Resident

I went to 2 different Target stores and didn't see this ? What's the deal ?

8. steve_miller

steve_miller Forum Resident

In my own defense I probably was not expecting full transcripts, I have the audio. And I have a several of Doug and Ray's book on the subject.
    It is a very handsome book, I expected a little more detail I guess. I am totally on board with buying from Target instead of AMZ, if I could find a place that has it.

Zongadude likes this.
  9. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Picked up the Target-exclusive version. This is a great book. And I’m sooo glad that unlike the “Anthology” book, which is gorgeous, this one is readable. It’s sized sensibly, the font size isn’t too small, it doesn’t weigh 44 pounds, and they didn’t get overly creative with text overlays on top of photos. As nice looking as “Anthology” is, it is not reader friendly. It really needs to be reformatted and then split into two volumes the size of “Get Back,” all housed in a slipcase.

Scott57, psubliminal, ronbow and 2 others like this.
  10. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

@Carl80
    Is it the same?
    I don’t want to end up with 2
    These are much dearer in Australia

11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I feel the opposite, though I don’t like the photo of Paul from the Costco set. It makes it look like he’s missing teeth. It’s very odd. The other three photos are great!

12. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I wonder, looking beyond we folks here, how many general public people are going to plunk down 42 bucks for a big book about the Get Back sessions ?

I’m certainly glad we are getting this book now, but it seems to be out a little early to catch much holiday business .

I can’t imagine Target or Barnes and Noble will still have the book display up in a month or more, where some boomers son or wife will walk by and see the book and get it for dads holiday gift, or similar.

ronbow, supermd and PhoffiFozz like this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Probably the mysterious February 1969 session (or sessions) at the Apple basement studio:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

supermd likes this.
  14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The foreword and the introduction of the book both left me flat. Most of the introduction of the book almost appears to have been written for something else and repurposed here, with some "Get Back" session references tacked on the end.

supermd, Floater and DeeThomaz like this.
  15. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

All Paul needs is a jumpsuit with some bling and he could pass for Vegas-era Elvis.

16. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

So anyone with the original 1970 Get back book and this new one, is anything from the original missing in the new one, or are any differences in the included photos and transcripts so minor that the original is made redundant except for collectibility.

ronbow likes this.
  17. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

These are fresh transcripts that do not align with the previous ones. These are presented in a linear chronology, the old ones sometimes jumped all over the place. I certainly haven't A/B'd them (I haven't finished one read of the book as yet), but I'm certain you would "need" both books if you wanted as much transcription as possible.

18. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I can understand your reaction. This is, after all, a NEW PHASE Beatles forward and introduction.

19. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

Went to 2 Target stores today. One had the display but all the books were the standard edition. The other store said that they hadn’t got any in yet. I very briefly heard Get Back while in one of the stores. It sounded like it was part of a produced promo for the book.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  20. Loup

“Reproduced for text by John Harris”

raveoned and RayS like this.
  21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I agree. I was wondering why we're suddenly learning about their beginnings. Talking about the shift from Pepper to White Album to Get Back makes more sense. Then again, I bought this book for the photos, and they are fantastic. There is a part in the middle of the book with full page photos of each Beatle, and man, I wish I could have gotten THOSE photos as the bonus photo prints in some of these editions. They are framable. I sometimes flirt with the idea of buying a second copy of this book just to cut out my favorite photos to make my own posters or framed displays. I had the same thought about the Lennon POB book, too - lots of great photos there.

22. Loup

These photos?

[​IMG]

Floater likes this.
  23. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

It’s crazy that they have the books, and the special floor display, but it’s loaded with the non-Target edition, which is the same price as the special Target edition that comes with lobby cards. That makes no sense at all. But you’re right: I can see in the photo that none of those books in the display have the silver embossed sticker that says they are the Target edition.

Sammy Banderas and Loup like this.
  24. Loup

Finally found a Target with the exclusive edition.

[​IMG]

25. Loup

I don’t understand it either. I even flipped through them and none of them had the lobby cards. I ended up going to 5 different Target stores. Four had the display but only 2 had the edition with the lobby cards. One store said that they didn’t get any in at all.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Floater and supermd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.