Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

I read here, that Glyn Johns remastered his 1669 / 1970 mix.
    We know now from this thread that this release uses bootlegs as source for Johns' recording. How and to which degree is it possible to remaster from vinyl albums?

BeatlesBop likes this.
  2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It is certainly possible and in some cases preferable to a degraded/compromised tape source

Floater likes this.
  3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

What is everyone heading to first when they get their box? I think I’m spinning 5.1 first. :cool:

4. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

In box order I think for me. But the book first...man I love the books!!

supermd likes this.
  5. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

"I dig a pigmy..."

raveoned likes this.
  6. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I was a bit disappointed to read on the forum that the Glyn Johns disk was taken from multiple sources, including bootlegs. The other day I read the interview with Giles Martin on superdeluxeedition.com, and his answer implies something else:

And the Glyn Johns mix – he came in and did some work on his mix, I believe
    Yes, he remastered it.

Okay, right. So that obviously that hasn’t been remixed. The original mix which has been sitting somewhere for all these years has been remastered Is that correct?
    Correct.

Can someone comment on the sound quality of these tracks? Or is there some clarification in the liner notes or credits?

7. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

surround is my go to first as well, then to another system where the blu has the center turned off and I can transfer to 4 channel reel tape. It' amazing, I did it for All Things Must Pass and its a revelation.

jacden, BeatleJWOL and supermd like this.
  8. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

or the 1967 box

9. Kenny Saxton

Kenny Saxton Forum Resident

Just downloaded the Hi-Res version. If you are able to find the right software to see the frequency spectrum of Disc 4, you will find several song are stitched up using both 1969 and 1970 versions, as they have different background noises. Just look at the upper part of the spectrum.

Lewisboogie, coffeetime and aphexj like this.
  10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Mix-wise, on Get Back 1969 do the words "and now we leave the town of London, England" come after Two Of Us, and does the Elmore James bit remain on For You Blue? Hope yes for #1 and no for #2.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Wow, I didn’t realize that was a thing.

12. Beware of Abkco

Beware of Abkco Well-Known Member

We need more Marmite, cheese, and lettuce. And coffee.

ODIrony and batdude98 like this.
  13. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Get Back LP at midnight today :)

supermd likes this.
  14. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Is the 5.1 track the best way to listen to this set or will the Dolby Atmos track downmixed to 5.1 be the best way to listen to the surround mix?

coffeetime likes this.
  15. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

What about

[​IMG] ?

Beware of Abkco and BeatlesBop like this.
  16. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Do we have any clarity yet on what will be available for sale?? In particular it would be nice to see a "package" blu-ray of the Peter Jackson series, album(s), book. Tried looking for info but struck out.

fogalu likes this.
  17. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

I want to hear the whole thing develop, so I’ll listen to the sessions first, then Glyn Johns’ album, followed by the e.p, & finally the finished album.

crossroads69 and supermd like this.
  18. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Since I'll be getting just the 2-CD set, the choices are narrowed for me! But it will be the album itself first. I have to hear how the remix sounds on my system as opposed to the YouTube previews!

905 and EmceeEscher like this.
  19. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

only for weirdos like me. I like quad more than 5.1 as it's more balanced to me.

boggs and supermd like this.
  20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Personally, I would do the one dedicated to 5.1, but it seems that these Atmos mixes tend to have a little more DR. However, on my system, it adds more bass instead of simply downmixing, and the surround imaging isn't faithful to the 5.1, so it's not an option for me. Whatever sounds best to you. :)

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Maybe I'll experiment with that sometime.

lennonfan1 likes this.
  22. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Just be thankful it was Peter Jackson and not George Lucas restoring this footage to his original vision.

23. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

It gets trashed for the new mixes and all the poor choices that went into them (NR, compression, what to include or not include, etc.) but in terms of track sequence and song selection, it does get that right. Song selection might be a no-brainer, but the sequence they came up with flows better than anything put together before.

24. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

I just had a look at the Get Back tracks and here's the (unfortunate) result:

01. One After 909
    =
    Taken from 1970 mix master tape

02. Medley I'm Ready (aka Rocker) / Save The Last Dance For Me / Don't Let Me Down =
    0:00 to
    0:35 = Taken From 1970 mix master tape
    0:35 to 1:35 = Taken From 1969 mix master tape
    1:35 to 1:56 = Taken From 1970 mix master tape

03. Don't Let Me Down
    =

04. Dig A Pony
    =

05. I've Got A Feeling
    =

06. Get Back
    =

07. For You Blue
    0:00 to 0:15
    =
    Taken from 1969 mix master tape
    0:14 to 2:54 = Taken from 1970 mix master tape

08. Teddy Boy
    =

09. Two Of Us
    =

10. Maggie Mae
    =

11. Dig It
    =

12. Let It Be
    0:00 to 4:02
    =
    4:02 to 4:09 = Taken from 1969 mix master tape

13. The Long And Winding Road
    =

14. Get Back (Reprise)
    0:00 to 0:01 =
    0:01 to 0:40 = Taken from 1970 mix master tape

+ the EP tracks...

01. Across The Universe (1970 Glyn Johns Mix)
    =
    Taken from bootleg cassette tape dub by John Barret (exact same tape dropouts heard), frequency tops at around 18khz. Some artifacting from the "remastering" process can be heard in the left channel (delayed vocal echo coming in and out)

02. I Me Mine
    =
    Taken from bootleg cassette tape dub by John Barret (exact same tape dropouts heard), frequency tops at 18khz. Tons of artifacting from the "remastering" process can be heard in the left channel.

My conclusion:
    - They used the 1970 mix tape as a base because it has better quality audio.
    - They used the 1969 mix tape only to fill in the missing pieces and edits.
    - They didn't catch some mixing differences and stayed with the 1970mix transfer there (f.e. For You Blue)

- They quickly used one of the bootleg discs for the 2 additional 1970 tracks on the EP... :cussing:
    (Thanks for finally releasing my favorite Version of ATU the way I could have heard it from any pirate release so far anyway with less artifacting... ) :realmad::realmad::realmad:

Here's an example of one of the obvious edits:

[​IMG]

And here you see the "hi-res" "remaster" of a bootleg CD sourced "I Me Mine":

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  25. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

^ Very good detective work, I concur! Purists will bemoan this hybridization of course, but I think it is stronger than either of the two original master compilations

I have the 24-bit download. The Glyn Johns mixes portion, not including the two EP bonus tracks, sounds fine overall. A little bit more limiting than we're used to (which every track on the set has), perhaps, but I don't mind it. Definitely from a legit tape source, not vinyl/acetate — as far as I'm aware, only Johns' tracks on the bonus EP are sourced from an inferior transfer. There is a tiny little bit of tape drag on John's count-in for "Don't Let Me Down" and someone already mentioned the chewed up word immediately after that with "do a nice big ssscchhhhh for me...", which is a telltale sign that the tape source had a flaw at that point. There are a couple of minor issues like that, but it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the music. Also really like that they filtered out most of that annoying feedback noise on Lennon's 'square dance' comments in "Teddy Boy". Really looking forward to hearing the super-deluxe vinyl, and reading the book that comes with it too
    If you're talking about the Glyn Johns mixes, then your hopes/prayers are answered!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021