Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Spinning now:

[​IMG]

From this box which arrived from the UK today for only AUD $11 including postage:

[​IMG]

All new to me (composer and performer). Sound is good and the music interesting half-way through.

jɑmbo, Runicen, Bachtoven and 3 others like this.
  2. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Now from another box which arrived today, CD 10, Rossini and Donizetti arias recorded in 1963/64:

[​IMG]

3. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Final CD for the day:

[​IMG]

Recorded in 1949 when Karajan and Walter Legge were establishing their EMI catalogue. They balanced popular releases like this with less well-known (at the time) works such as the Richard Strauss Metamorphosen (CD 4 in this 10 CD box).

Sprightly playing from the VPO. I'm also liking the sound in this remastered set (I bought the 101 CD compilation of the 13 smaller boxes).

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This is the single biggest reason I do not care for download. That occasional unexpected file corruption can really drive anyone crazy. I assume Presto should allow you to re-download the 'CD'?

5. coopmv

So you have the box for Karajan's pre-BPO EMI recordings? I only bought his first Beethoven Symphonies box on EMI. IIRC, Warner has released a later box with something extra. like the overtures and other Beethoven works ...

TonyACT likes this.
  6. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

CD7 of this set:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joseph Haydn - Piano Sonatas XVII: D1, & XVI:24, 25, 29 & 39 - Yoshiko Kojima, fortepiano

Some unpleasant vibration noises from the vintage fortepiano used in the first sonata - no problems with the modern replica used for the other recordings. The finale of XVI:24 is a delight!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  7. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

And to start off this morning. Beautiful oboe![​IMG]

bluemooze, TonyACT, Runicen and 5 others like this.
  8. Daedalus

This post is reminding me to go back and re-visit this Munch box set.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    TonyACT and bluemooze like this.
  9. coopmv

The asking price of £1,895.00 is a hefty price tag. Shipping from the UK is likely to be a few hundred pounds extra as records are heavy (if you have to pay for it) ...

TonyACT and bluemooze like this.
  10. Daedalus

I am spinning CD 82-the last disc from the 1960s section of the Karajan Complete box. JS Bach-violin concertos 1,2 and concerto for 2 violins. These feature Christian Ferris and Michel Schwalbe on violin. These were all recorded during August of 1966. [​IMG]

11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD. Includes Lecoq: Mam’zelle Angot (Covent Garden Orchestra).

[​IMG]

TonyACT, bluemooze, Daedalus and 2 others like this.
  12. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Luckily it very rarely happens that I buy a download that has a corrupted file. Same as it very rarely happens that I buy a CD that's skipping. Seems it just slipped through quality control somehow (which apparently is a much bigger problem with new vinyl). I can re-download the album several times (there's a maximum, but not sure what it is), but the re-download is having the same issue. So I expect Presto to notify the provider of the files (Naxos in this case) and provide me with a credit. I would prefer to buy the CD of course, but where I am there is no way to buy and receive CDs unless I want to spend a LOT of money in special and semi-official courier services. Once I'm back in Europe next year, it should be easier again. Still, I do like the convenience of downloads as it is usually cheaper and saves me having to rip a CD, while the result is exactly the same of course. Plus, I can get hi-res if available, which you can't get from CD.

TonyACT likes this.
  13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

They started as the "house band" for the 92nd St. Y, Gerard Schwarz conducting. Saw quite a few of their concerts.

Martinu and Jamsterdammer like this.
  14. Jamsterdammer

Very interesting! I lived in NYC for 4 years, but wasn't aware of 92Y. This album is very enjoyable. The Clarinet Concerto and Dance Panels are very well done.

15. john greenwood

The orchestra was created by the Y (original name Y Chamber Orchestra). The Y was its home from the late 70s until about the early 90s. At their peak, they gave about 16 performances a year.

Jamsterdammer and bluemooze like this.
  16. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

This wonderful recording will be my last post for a while. I need to focus on some upcoming recitals and chamber concerts. See you on the other side!

[​IMG]

TonyACT, CMT, Bachtoven and 2 others like this.
  17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    MS 7176, issued 1968. This was an attempt to exploit the success of the film, compiled by producer Andrew Kazdin. The first side has music heard in the movie, here taken from previous Columbia LPs, plus a couple of selections that may have been newly recorded, plus "Electronic Interludes" by Morton Subotnick. The opening from Also Sprach Zarathustra & The Blue Danube are by Ormandy, while Ligeti's Atmophères is by Bernstein. Ligeti's Lux Eterna is performed by The Gregg Smith Singers. The second side has instrumental music from Karl-Birger Blomdahl's opera taken from a complete recording with Werner Janssen conducting the Orchestra of the Vienna Volksoper made in 1959 & issued on a Columbia 2-LP set. 1968-70 pressing.

ibanez_ax, Wes H, TonyACT and 3 others like this.
  18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to CD 21 from "Igor Stravinsky - The Complete Columbia Album Collection" on Sony

Threni

[​IMG]

19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    MS 7178, issued 1968. In its day this album was a pretty big deal, a landmark in minimalism. Riley plays soprano sax & leads an ensemble of 10, including a pianist who plays only "The Pulse" over & over & over again. The recording is built up with two overdubbed performances on top of the original track. It reminds me most of some North African music I listened to recently. Recorded April-June, 1968, Columbia 30th Street Studio, NYC. Producer: David Behrman. Engineers: Fred Plaut & Russ Payne. 1968-70 pressing.

peter1, Starwanderer, TonyACT and 3 others like this.
  20. Jamsterdammer

Success! Let us know how it went afterwards.

TonyACT, CMT and Bachtoven like this.
  21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

An excellent recording.

[​IMG]

22. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Just wanted to emphasize how good this sounds. I know some here don't like the sound of the pianoforte at all, but, if, like me, you PREFER the pianoforte in this kind of music, this recording is worth seeking out. Sounds like the instrument is in the room with you. Recorded on Beethoven's own instrument. I've almost never been disappointed by recordings on the BASF label. This is another good one.

Jörg Demus – Beethovens Clavier (Sonaten Op. 78, 109, 110 / Bagatellen Op. 126)
    BASF – KHF 20328

[​IMG]

Speaking of BASF recordings, years and years ago (1978), in my first year of college in St. Louis (Webster College, now Webster University) I was just learning about classical music. The college library had a pretty good collection of records. I used to spend a lot of time there just randomly listening. I vividly remember my impression of a Brahms clarinet trio that I liked a lot upon hearing it for the first time. For years, I've wondered what the recording was. All I could recall was that it was a BASF recording and there was something purple about it. Today I stumbled upon what I think is probably the record I heard that day (below). I've just ordered a copy from Germany. I wonder what I'll think of it 43 years later....

Johannes Brahms – Horntrio - Klarinettentrio
    BASF – 25 21184-3

[​IMG]

peter1, ibanez_ax, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  23. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Spinning in the CD player:

Brahms - Academy Of St. Martin-in-the-Fields Chamber Ensemble – String Sextets
    Chandos – CHAN 9151

[​IMG]

ibanez_ax, Wes H, Bachtoven and 3 others like this.
  24. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I've only spot listened through my set so far, but this is a disc I come back to over and over again. True, it's very "unconventional" baroque performance, but it really is lovely stuff.

Apologies for asking, but I saw your mention of a defective disc 76, but couldn't find the post indicating what was defective about it. What was wrong with your copy? I'll have to check mine to see if the defect is present across multiple editions of the "monolith."

TonyACT and Daedalus like this.
  25. john greenwood

Have you heard this?

bluemooze likes this.