Stylus slides over record surface. What happened?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FloydVivino, Oct 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've posted this in old stylus thread discussion of mine but thought it may be best to open a new thread.

Can you please help and tell me whether this is a unequivocal sign of the time has come for my old stylus (still the one that came with my used record player three years ago):

A record was playing and at some point I heard this familiar "pop", a hard and isolated one, not the "frying bacon" sort of surface noise. I've had heard it before, that song, on that same spot.

Yet this time, it "popped" twice (one in each turn) and then on the third the arm slides all the way to the centre, with stylus on record surface, after which the arm lifted and reverted to initial position.

Took the record out, made a visual inspection, and spotted the a small smudge in the track in question. Went for my liquid (10% isopropyl alcohol in distilled water) and cleaning baby brush, cleaned carefully the whole record, and upon another visual inspection the smudge was gone. Waited for the whole thing do dry up (took the opportunity and carefully cleaned the stylus with a small portion of the same mixture sprayed on a dedicated stylus brush).

Here's what happened next: record spinning, placed the stylus at the beginning of the track, lowered the arm and... the whole thing happened again: arm slides all the way to the centre, with stylus on record surface, arm lifted and reverted to initial position.

Diagnose please?!

2. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

Is the TT/stylus sliding on other records?

FloydVivino likes this.
  3. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

If tracking force, antiskating are set correctly and table is level, get a good powerful magnifying scope and look at the stylus.

My guess is the stylus came with the table and you don't know the history, its time for a new stylus.

FloydVivino, rockclassics and BrentB like this.
  4. timind

timind phorum rezident

Have you taken a close look at the stylus? It sounds like the diamond/needle was damaged, or popped off.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  5. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

I agree you have to check this. My guess would be the stylus tip is completely gone.

6. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

It certainly sounds like it - weakening of the stylus cantilever glued bond can occur with repeated usage of solvents when cleaning a stylus.

FloydVivino, Ripblade and timind like this.
  7. FloydVivino

Yes. I’ve done that test on another (less valuable) record

8. FloydVivino

Checked tracking force and anti skating and their set as normally.
    Incidentally I was having the same thought but kept postponing. Just wanted to know whether this skating is a typical symptom of anything

9. FloydVivino

Need to make closer inspection but that cleansing with isopropol solution may have been a last straw

10. FloydVivino

When i checked with naked eye it looked like there was “something” there. Need to make a closer inspection

11. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Use a jewelers loop or a magnifying glass. You may be looking at the shank and not the diamond stylus.

FloydVivino, bru87tr and Bruno Primas like this.
  12. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

If stylus ie replaceable ie mm
    Fit new one.
    Always keep on in stock.
    Best way of tackling this problem.

FloydVivino and bru87tr like this.
  13. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Yep. Tip is gone. Happened to me once with a fairly new bonded tip after setting it up with a protractor. It's possible that fluid had migrated into the bond between the diamond tip and the stud and weakening the bond. Friction did the rest. Cued it down and off it skated towards the label.

Never had it happen with a nudie, but I've heard of it from others less fortunate.

FloydVivino and macster like this.
  14. leakingwater

leakingwater Forum Resident

You said: “arm lifted and reverted to initial position.” Does your tt have auto return? If so it might be the auto mechanism tripping.

15. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

When he started explaining what happened when he started the record from the beginning, I said to myself, "If it now slides across from the beginning of the record it means one of two things: there is a flat piece of debris on the stylus that is causing it to float, or the stylus is gone." And sure enough, it did.

FloydVivino and timind like this.
  16. FloydVivino

Yes it does have auto return. Thanks for the hint ti bear in mind if stylus tip is still there

17. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

It happened to me with a new Grado Red cart. Brand new install and the cart just skated right across the record! AND it was installed at the store!
    Cheers, Doug

18. FloydVivino

And how did you fix it? what was the issue?

19. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

It had no stylus. And this was before
    Internet shopping. So since I got a buddy to pick it up for me in Toronto; 4 1/2 hrs away this was a major pain! But they gave me a refund after a little haggling.
    Cheers, Doug

20. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Take off the stylus protector, or, if you have a protector/guard that rotates up and down, rotate it to the “up” position.

21. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

Could be leftover glue that was keeping the stylus in place

22. FloydVivino

Guys,

This was the best I could manage:

[​IMG]

23. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

There you go. The tip is gone.

Aftermath likes this.
  24. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Looks like the diamond tip is gone. What cartridge and stylus is it?

25. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Definately tip problem.
    If its an old cartridge and genuine stylus
    Not available personally i would buy
    A new cartridge.
    The newish Audio Technica range superb trackers and excellent by repute sound
    Quality.
    I messed around for a few years with my
    SHURE V15 MK3
    Bought a new old stock stylus.
    Its fine but costly.
    Good luck

doctor fuse likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.