Yes Union Live 30 disc megaset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonylevin'ssuitcase, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Yeah, the first two albums were never replaced when I moved from vinyl to CD. The GftO masters are MIA so for this fan, I would be happy to see Wilson tackle Drama and that would be about it.

2. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

3. So the consensus is this is poorly constructed digipack cases and less than stellar sound quality? I’ve been on the fence and just can’t seem to pull the trigger. Unusual for me.

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

They are jewel cases, not digipacks. They are a combination of soundboards and audience recordings.

warewolf95 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  5. :tiphat:
    I misunderstood, In a post upthread I recalled someone mentioned subpar quality of some component outside of the actual content and SQ.

6. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Apparently the vinyl LP set comes with a DVD which, although shown in a typical case in the marketing photo, is actually shipped in a plastic sleeve. That might be the complaint you're thinking of.

The CDs are packaged in jewel cases - mostly fat cases, even in a few instances that don't require them. The packaging looks beautiful (unless you go looking for typos - which you will find in abundance). The main problem is that the set is about 75% audience bootlegs, even though multiple shows on the tour were professionally recorded onto digital multitrack tape. The set comes with a booklet, but the booklet neither acknowledges the sources nor explains what happened to all those tapes.

7. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

i've been casually following this thread for a while, and thinking about this compared to the wonderful Progeny set. That was 7 great-quality '72 shows for around $80. It's been easy to pass on this; I'd actually consider it if the price was much lower. I'd love to see a good box set of shows from various tours mixed from the original multitracks.

I stopped being a Yes completist with the endless series of live releases from recent tours.

8. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

It's really closer to 65%...

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  9. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

OK so in the end I bit and placed an order a couple of days ago. I am a completist (at least of Yes stuff in their prime).

My logic is as follows :

1. The Vinyl rips sound OK : some songs really good others maybe average. To put that in perspective the DR for this set is 12, for the original Union Live CD 13 and for The Quest 10 !!! So its not a disaster compared to the older Union Live stuff, albeit a bit more compressed.
    2. I am into Vinyl again now and this set I now know has been remastered for Vinyl so some care has been taken.
    3. The set is now a complete show AND in the right order on the LPs with a couple of bonus tracks at the end.
    4. Although there are some horrible reviews of the sound quality - I know now what to expect.
    5. What I have here Yes playing at their peak on Vinyl, albeit the recording has some quality issues - but hey I have The Word is Live and that isn’t perfect. In my mind I compared it to buying one of the similarly expensive live Rush Vinyl sets where you may have a beautifully recorded set but by all accounts Geddy’s voice sounds terrible.
    6. I also thought that once this set became unavailable , I would have wanted it even more and been forced to pay an even higher price.
    7. Maybe they will give me a discount off the upcoming ABWH An Evening of Yes Music Vinyl set :)

It is definitely overpriced but then I am saving a huge amount daily on not travelling to the office.

Will give some thoughts on the set when it arrives and I have listened to it a few times.

apple-richard, alakulju and Rufus rag like this.
  10. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

That's how a real completist persuades himself:righton:

11. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I'm not saying anything! :)

highfell likes this.
  12. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Personally, I think they were well past their peak at that point. Still a fantastic live band, but Howe was absolutely on fire in the 70's. Still a helluva guitarist in the '90s, but the fire had diminished considerably. Add to the BB's lack of enthusiasm and Howe's annoyance at sharing his space with TR and I don't think this band was at their finest.

Don't get me wrong- I thoroughly enjoyed both Union shows I saw. Awaken was incredible. But that tour was a cut or 2 below the 70s shows I saw and in retrospect I'd say I enjoyed the post-97 shows through Jon's last tour more than the Union tour. Great show, but not peak Yes. Just IMO, of course YMMV.

What made it special to me was the reunion of all the key Yes ingredients: Jon, Chris and Steve all together for the 1st time in a long while. BB was an extra bonus.

13. Futurecity

Well, I ordered the YES Union Shoreline 2CD/DVD stand-alone set directly from Music Glue's website on Oct. 3, but as of Oct.14, it still hasn't shipped, and I have not received any specific reasons when I have attempted to contact them. My order did say "Processing" for over a week, until someone got back to me and said they were waiting for more stock? But since that reply, I haven't heard anything else regarding my order.

Yes - Union 30 - Yes – Shoreline Amphitheatre, 8th Aug 1991

If anyone here has ordered either the Big Box or the stand-alone set directly from Music Glue, how long did it take for you to receive a shipping notice, or actually receive the package?

14. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

I agree. The Union tour was enjoyable but far from "peak Yes". The 70s shows were on a totally different level and like you I prefer the late 90s/early naughties shows to the Union shows. ABWH too.

Having both Howe and Rabin and White and a bored Bruford on stage did not work well. Also the tracklists weren't that great either.

JimW, SRC and vegafleet like this.
  15. octopus92

octopus92 Well-Known Member

Sadly never...
    First time in more than 25 years purchasing music via website or directly from the artist that nobody at all answered to my request about the Big boxset I’ve bought through the Music Glue page....

Finally, Matt from the Music Glue staff to contact someone at the Union 30 Live team but never had an answer himself !!!

Refunded thanks to the Paypal system but what a mess....

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  16. Futurecity

Yes, I placed an order on October 3rd for the Shoreline 2CD/1DVD stand-alone set, directly from Music Glue's website, and as of October 14th, it still hasn't shipped, and I only heard back from them once, about a week ago, when someone indicated they were waiting for more stock? Hmm...they let me place the order on October 3rd, then I find out a week later it was out of stock, but there's been no communication from them since.

If this continues, I might have to look into a refund as well.

Rufus rag likes this.
  17. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat too, although I did receive the following response from MG on 09/24;

Hi Keith,

These should go out in around a week or so, just waiting for stock to replenish.

A week or so has turned into almost a month.

Futurecity and Rufus rag like this.
  18. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

Thanks for the info ^. They should have shipped by now. Didn’t respond to a chaser , so bought a new copy of Ebay for the same price and cancelled my order from them. It won’t have the DVD , but i assume its no different from the one of the shows on the old Union Live deluxe DVD/CD package released ten years ago

19. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

They are a really crappy company. Taking the customers money and then making the customer wait and wait. Maybe they didn't make any copies yet as they might want to see how many people will order this?

Fred1 likes this.
  20. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I have the old DVD and compared it with the new one. Identical track listing and quality. The menu has been redesigned to be a little less fussy. That's about it as far as I could tell.

highfell and Mark_TB like this.
  21. Futurecity

Thanks for the update.

So, you ordered the Shoreline 2CD/DVD stand-alone set in September, and you still haven't received it yet? Yes, you've been waiting almost a month now, so are you tempted to cancel your order and get a refund, or do you plan to wait this out until you get the item, no matter how long it takes? I ordered it on October 3rd, but they haven't responded to my last two attempts to contact them, and I'm wondering if it's time to contact PAYPAL about a refund?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  22. Zephead2112

H
    Hi, I actually ordered it on the 8th August but received the update on 09/24. I think I'll wait it out and perhaps ask them for another update. Robin Ayling at Gonzo was actually very helpful when my Rabin box arrived and it had some damage. Getting a replacement was quick and easy.

I notice that the 2 x CD/2 x DVD 2011 release is selling from £115 on Discogs!

Yes – Union Live (2011, CD) - Discogs

That has additional shows on it (one audience shot I believe) which I wasn't aware of and I wish I'd picked it up. I see that there's the single DVD 2011 release (just the Shoreline footage) from 2011 on Amazon UK for £14.99. I may just get that if there's really no difference in quality compared to the 2021 release.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    Futurecity likes this.
  23. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

Oh, that's nice to know! Gathering dust on my shelves for years:righton:

Zephead2112 likes this.
  24. Futurecity

Wow, you placed the order on August 8th, that's over 2 month ago, and they still have not shipped the item. I personally would not wait that long before seeking a refund, but perhaps you will get the item sooner than later. However, something is clearly wrong with this company...accepting orders and everyone's payments, but not shipping the item is totally unacceptable, plus they sometimes ignore status update requests and stay quiet.

Fred1 likes this.
  25. Zephead2112

I sent Gonzo an e-mail yesterday and received the following update this morning;

These should be going out this week. Sorry for the delay - worldwide problems!