Good record stores in SoCal

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by MikeJedi, Oct 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wife and I going to Catalina at eom. In the way back home to NV thinking of staying one night in Long Beach or nearby. Are there any real good Record shops with a really awesome selection of used Records worth going to ? Primarily want original Jazz records like blue notes and original Rock and pop pressings ? I read a lot of good about Fingerprints but have never been there abs don’t know what they have .. trying to avoid Ameoba and new records. Want used primarily :)

Thanks all :)

hi_watt likes this.
  2. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Freakbeat Records is my go-to for used, but they are up in Sheman Oaks quite a ways away from Long Beach.

Shawn likes this.
  3. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

In San Diego, Folk Arts records is king so far when it comes to used records. Then there's Record City (same owners as the one in Vegas), and Beatbox Records.

4. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Time your trip with the Greater Orange County Record Show....otherwise Freakbeat is the only one I'd go to since Rockaway went under on retail.

MikeJedi likes this.
  5. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

Go to White Rabbit (Burger Records) on State College Blvd. in Fullerton.Just got a hugh collection of original 50's and 60's Jazz records in their store. Miles Davis (Bitches Brew) John Coletrane, Wayne Shorter and many others. Prices ($50-$300).Was down there Saturday and still plenty of good stuff available. Phone # is 714-930-7930 If I was more of a Jazz collector.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  6. maxbe

maxbe Active Member

I like to bring any music record from Folk Arts record. This is the best record store in San Diego.

hi_watt and MikeJedi like this.
  7. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

San Diego had a good record show 15 years ago, okay, lots of the same L.A. dealers but it was pretty cool. Traffic sucked coming back. I wonder if it still is run?

hi_watt likes this.
  8. Chrome_Head

There was a good one in the Burbank area in fall of 2019 before the bug. Filled a lot of gaps in my collection at that one.

9. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Unfortunately it is no more.

10. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Hard to believe San Diego can't get a show together. L.A. prices getting higher (Tom Petty used albums are $24.99 at Freakbeat).

Chrome_Head likes this.
  11. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Same here. The show that took over, which was held at a small bar, paled in comparison to the other one. Petty's earlier albums are hanging in there under $20 here in San Diego.

12. Chrome_Head

Haven’t been there in a couple years, but used to be you could still find the occasional $5 used bargain in the bins there that just needed a good cleaning. Grabbed a copy of Abbey Road there like that.

hi_watt likes this.
  13. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Funny looking at 17 year olds grasping for dear life on a ring-weared copies of The Wall at $25 at a record stores these days....or a trashed Led Zeppelin album for $15. Welcome to 2022.....where "Rumours" sells in any condition in the Fleetwood Mac divider card.

hi_watt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.